Idaho "Middle Fork B" Tag

T Bone said:
IMO, a good indicator if you and your party can hack the country is if you and each member can run/jog nonstop 5 miles and you have a good back, then you can do this hunt.

It may sound overboard, but it's kind of hard to explain until you've been there. Its really big country.
T Bone: I know this is rough country. I know we have to be in shape. But you have to realize that I live in flat South Dakota. We "will" be in shape, if not, Idaho Wilderness will kick our aXX's.....

Thanks,
Reebok

hey rebok.

something that we have forgotten to tell you about unit 27. It snows early, i was there in september at atleast 7,000 feet with lots of snow.My only mistake when i went up there was not bringing enough film. i didnt want to leave when my vacation was up. Also there is a town named yellowpine, it does have some lodging but it fills really fast . If you dont already have a topo map here is a web adress for you. www.fs.fed.us/r4/sc/recreation/fcronr/index.shtmli just read that no mt. bikes are allowed :BLEEP:

Reebok,

Sounds like you have an adventure planned. I only have info for hunting the east side of the middlefork. There is some horse traffic in there early in the elk season. The outfitter gets some business. They horse pack about 15 miles then hunt out of wall tents.

If you want specifics, ask away. What part of SD you from? By the way, I'm moving to Rapid City in a couple weeks......

Reebok,

I flew with Middle Fork Aviation out of Challis and landed at Soldiers Bar on Big Creek when I hunted there. You will have to hike and climb a ways to get to good elk country and away from the crowds, if you chose to fly in. This is a popular method with many hunters in the Frank Church. Then you still have to pack any game you shoot back to the landing strip. On the plus side, you wouldn't have to spend a lot of your time messing with horse's, and you would not need to camp next to a good water source. For this country however, if I had horse's, I would bring the horse's. Set up a good main camp, and then spike out to more remote areas from there.

oops made a mistake up in my post-- we went WEST not EAST from the ranger station--or better yet we went like I described towards the KNAPP Lakes/Horseshoe lake--saw only one other hunter who went in on horseback, but came out within 4 hrs--chris

There's a ranch right there by the Ranger Station the Diamond "B" or something like that and they outfit from the ranch--but they hunt to the EAST(yes this is right)--I didn't check out the quality of animals they took, so I have no idea--chris

Has anyone driven out to Middle Fork Peak? Is the road good enough to haul a horse trailer on? (I know, some of you can haul a horse tailer on ANY road, I guess I"m asking if I'd WANT to haul a horse trailer out there?)

Thanks

I think you could get a horse trailer up there, but there are lots more options on the westside of the middlefork, alot more than on the east. Be careful up by the peak, that borders on unit 28, and the guys who sit in the fire towers are treehuggers who know where the season is open and where its closed.

T Bone,
I have a sister living in Black Hawk, for what ever that's worth.
Are you looking for land to build a house on? She has been selling some of her land to people for building houses.
I live in Garretson SD which is on the other side of the state, 6 miles from Mn.
Welcome to the land of the big play ground!
Meat

T Bone said:
Reebok,

Sounds like you have an adventure planned. I only have info for hunting the east side of the middlefork. There is some horse traffic in there early in the elk season. The outfitter gets some business. They horse pack about 15 miles then hunt out of wall tents.

If you want specifics, ask away. What part of SD you from? By the way, I'm moving to Rapid City in a couple weeks......

I drove up to middle fork peak in a jeep back in september 2001. You can take a horse trailer up there if it dosen't snow. There were horse trailers parked up there. The campground was nice. I drank too many beers with some nice hunters from Washington so I don't have any still pics from there. I do have some from up above panther creek road right after it left the salmon river. I'll post them. They were pretty dissapointed. They didn't have horses.
I also came up from sunbeam like super said. The only place I saw elk on the whole trip was right before I got to the dredge. As I drove up to the loon ceek ranger station, I had some locals road hunting in front of me in a beat up car. They stopped to let me by and were friendly. The driver was really fat but the other two looked o.k. They told me they do pretty good road hunting. I have some pics from pinion peak lookout tower I'll post. While I was at the peak some more hunters drove up and it was the same story. Wish we had horses.don

Horn seeker,I went and watched some of the video I shot and there are some mistakes on the previous post. First it was in 2002 and I went to hoodoo meadows not middle fork. If you decide to go there I passed a sign on the video that said trailers not recommended. Like I said before there were horse trailers parked there.don

Arcat, you mean to say there are easier ways in on the West side or just that the hunting is better over there?

Just curious....

Thanks PAMTMan

reebok said:
ElkGunner: Who would be a good point of contact for the flights? Talked to McCall Aviation, said that Chamberlain Basin would be his bet. What about Cold Meadows?(Burn Area) Then, from the airstrip, how many hunters would be in that area?
Interesting, because I never really thought about catching a flight in the wilderness. I don't mind working for them, was going to bring horses from South Dakota, but if we got dropped in, how feasible is it to set camp within distance of the airstrip..

Thanks,
Reebok

Reebok,

Get a good map, and look at the airstrips and the trail systems. Much of the Frank has some good trail systems that can get you quite a few miles from the Airstrip. Most people won't get more than a mile or so from a road, plane, boat, barstool.

You can have an awesome hunt flying in to one of the Airstrips, and then hiking 5 miles up for a camp. On the last day, you have a downhill pack to the airstrip. The guys at McCall Air Taxi are good. Ray Arnold at Arnold Aviation in Cascade is good. I don't know the guys in Salmon or Challis, but if they have been flying many years back there, and are still alive, then by default, they are good.

Don't look at the Frank as a "Trophy Hunt" as for horns, but look at it as the "Trophy Hunt" of hunts, and you will be fine.

Horn seeker, if you archery hunt, go to an area around warren. Its on the west side, but not area 27. I was in a bar drinking one nite in secesh meadows between Burgdorf and Warren on my trip and there were nine other guys in there and seven had bulls. A nice lady named Kate owned the bar and had cabins for rent. She also knew some young guys who would pack out your elk for a fee. don

Back