MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Idaho "Middle Fork B" Tag

reebok

Just got a Middle Fork B tag in Idaho. Looking at bringing horses into Unit 27. My question is? Where is a good trailhead to take horses and pack camp back in to good elk area? We plan on making a summer trip to scout and find where to drive into this fall. I've never hunted Idaho and I know this is going to be a very learning process. I have hunted elk and outfitted ourselves for the last 12 years in Colorado. Any help would greatly be appreciated.

By the way, my family farm has some of the best pheasant hunting in the world.

Thank you in advance for your help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reebok

By the way, my family farm has some of the best pheasant hunting in the world.

Elk info in trade for a pheasant hunt :D Fair enuf :p

Reebok, there is some Good areas in 27 if a guys willing to go deep in like you're talking. I'm doing a bit of research in there myself. My only limited factor is the lack of horses to get the critters out. You looking for a Tag along ? MAybe we could talk ?

I was fortunate enough to draw a Sheep tag in 27-2 last year. Let's jsut say you might need to be in good shape to hunt that country.

Reebok,

Sounds like you have a good hunt planned for this coming year! I haven't hunted elk in that country, only sheep. Do you have good mountain horses? It's rough country. I was chukar hunting this December in Panther Creek and there was a nice trailhead set up for stock on the lower end that went up Clear Creek. This area is in unit 28 but some trails from there lead up and over into 27. There were about 150 head of cows and calf elk feeding on the hillside when I was there. Some recent fires in that area would make better elk forage but has also closed some trails due to mud slides. I would contact the forest service to get current trail conditions no matter where you choose to go. Meyer's Cove is also a popular trailhead from what I hear.

Here is a picture of the country from the west side of the Middle Fork looking East into unit 27. It is rough country!

have hunted unit 27

i like dropping into unit 27 from warm lake and head north or by going thru yellow pine. I would look at stibnite mine or big creek area.. contact the payette national forest for a map. I love that area,spent6 days deep inside unit 27 and have day dreamed about doing it again since.just remember that the tag also is good in 20a and 26 which is also great areas that are heavy with mt. lions.. ... get pics and post so the unlucky ones who are day dreaming and jealous are not left out. unfortunately i wont have time this year so i have to settle with unit 39 for elk. Good Luck......

SageGhost: How did you get back in? Walk? Horses? I know I can hunt 20a, 26 along with 27. Had to start somewhere. I would like to come in from the East if that would be recommended. But will do whatever it takes to get back in where the better hunting will be. I definitely will post pics of the summer trip and the hunt..... Thanks for the info on getting in on the east side... Keep the information coming.... MORE DATA.

BigHornRam: Love the PIC.. Is it all that rugged? Am getting as much information as possible for this coming year. Will learn a lot on the summer scouting trip. I think we have good mt. horses and mules. I heard that 26 is rougher country than 27, is this true?

Thanks for the info you have provieded. Is there any statistics on elk herds for September in those areas?? Which one is best in September 20a, 26, 27?

I'm drooling for this trip!

Moosie: Did you get a SHeep???? We are bringing 3 horses and 1 mule. They are a must!! One of my questions is? Where to go in September in Middle Fork B? Am looking to come in from the east if possible, but not necessary. Got 6 guys going already... they would have to vote you in... I'm only 1/6th of the equation.

Man, This is a great site! I like what you have done!! Keep up the great work! BTW, heard you were coming to Rapid City turkey hunting... I could arrange a pheasant hunt on my Mom's farm... Great hunting..

Reebok,

The picture is in 20a. I hunted in 27 and 26 as well. It is all rugged country. The Chamberlain Basin area in 20a is a lot less rugged, good elk country, but has a healthy population of mutts to compete with. If you are looking for a great hunting experience, you picked the right place. If you are looking for the trophey rack of a life time, you did not. The antler size of bulls from this country is small from what I've seen. If you are hunting in Sept. I would concentrate on hunting high. Finding water up high can be difficult however. A lot of the good high elevation water sources have established outfitter camps. Get a hold of the forest service and find out where the outfitter camps will be active this fall. Get in shape and go where the dude hunters can't and have a fun hunt!

Have any of you guys driven to Middle Fork Peak? I see the road there, but was wondering if its open? I suppose it would be pretty "iffy" during late season, like mid November? Whatchyathink?

You guys went in from Crags right Moosie?

You can get in up over Loon creek also. There is a trail head in there and pack in. Have hiked in to the hot springs back in there over some recommendations of Forest service counting red's bed's. Had bears down on the river everyday and was spooking him. So tried to hike in there. But seen alot of sign of elk on the trails going in. Saw some bucks also back in there. I went in during archery elk hunt. I was hunting 36 but talked to the guy about bears so tried to go in after them as they where making the guy nervous.
It in in the southern part of the unit. Get in threw Sun Beam and turn left at the dredge and follow the road up and over.

We were in there 2 years ago after sheep and there were bear all over Jerry. Definitely good. We flew in though, to Mahoney. (I think thats what it was called).

Its just "counting redds" not redd's bed's, just so you know, I'm a fish bio and do redd surveys several months a year. Fun stuff!

Thanks Jerry,

Ernie

ReeBok, just wanted you to know that I register on to this site so I could follow along. Sounds like you better purchase a pair for running shoes long before we head out to Idaho. BP :rolleyes:

hey rebok. `i drove in then hiked.. i have heard that there are pilots who can fly you in to the landing strips but i am not sure on price.

Flights are cheap, as you aren't flying many miles. From McCall (McCall Air Taxi) or from Stanley (or Salmon), the flight time is next to nothing. Much quicker than drives or hikes. But kind of hard to haul horses in the C-185....

I've hunted 27 for sheep for the last 2 years. Killing a respectable bull would be fairly easy if you're willing to backpack 17 miles over big country. Getting it out is bad news, but doable for 6 guys in TOP condition.

IMO, a good indicator if you and your party can hack the country is if you and each member can run/jog nonstop 5 miles and you have a good back, then you can do this hunt.

It may sound overboard, but it's kind of hard to explain until you've been there. Its really big country.

I hunted the Loon Creek drainage this year going (East--edit: this should say WEST not East--) in at the Loon Creek ranger station towards Knapp Lake and Horseshoe lake--saw 7 elk in 5 days and no bulls -"A" Tag in Oct---we hiked in 1 mile and then hunted from there--hiked a lot--steep country and you won't be able to get horses into the Pioneer Creek drainge all the way --to many blow downs--saw one buck also in 5 days--I don't plan on hunting there again--it might be ok for archery though as we did see sign but a lot of it was old--heard no wolves---chris

ElkGunner said:
Flights are cheap, as you aren't flying many miles. From McCall (McCall Air Taxi) or from Stanley (or Salmon), the flight time is next to nothing. Much quicker than drives or hikes. But kind of hard to haul horses in the C-185....
ElkGunner: Who would be a good point of contact for the flights? Talked to McCall Aviation, said that Chamberlain Basin would be his bet. What about Cold Meadows?(Burn Area) Then, from the airstrip, how many hunters would be in that area?
Interesting, because I never really thought about catching a flight in the wilderness. I don't mind working for them, was going to bring horses from South Dakota, but if we got dropped in, how feasible is it to set camp within distance of the airstrip..

Thanks,
Reebok

Csutton7: Thanks for the info. I was looking at the Loon Creek areas. Doesn't sound like you had much luck. We are going earlier (September hunt). Hope that makes a difference in seeing the numbers.

Still researching the best method.

Thanks a lot!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back