Hunting Release / Quiver Recommendations?

02bfishn

What release(s) should I be looking at?

Here’s the background – On / off bowhunter / 3D shooter for 30+ years. More “off” than on over the last 10 other than really got back into bowhunting last year. Missouri whitetails with plans of an archery Elk adventure in the next year or two. Have always shot fingers and did fine as long as I kept up with the practice. The reality is that that just doesn’t and won’t happen like it once did – so I know for the best chance at that one cold ethical shot – I need to go to a release. Going to update the 10 year old Hoyt this year to something current (Hoyt or Bowtech most probably as that is what my local dealer handles) and also interested in on-bow quiver recommendations. From all the knowledge on here - you all have me dialed in on rest (Ripcord), and sight (Black Gold) - thanks!

So what are your recommendations? Not so worried about cost – all about getting the good stuff at the outset. Thanks in advance.

I used to shot plain jane tru-fire for years. I changed to a Scott little bitty goose(strap type) a couple years ago and I like it allot. It is better quality, length is Infintely adjustable and the strap is not in the way of your hand all the time like the solid type. They say they are more accurate but I can't really say. I simply shoot allot more now which is the main reason I am more accurate.

I have a Tight Spot and it is great. I broke a goofy "bone collector" coming down off a CO mountain creek drainage in the dark. Since then I replaced with a Tight Spot and I have fallen on it...leaned on it during stalks and it never blinks.

I also have a plug for Spot Hogg sights. During that same ascent in CO I thought there was no way I had not damaged my sight much less knocked it off. Shot the bow the next morning and was right on. Very impressed with Spot Hogg!

I think too many people spend big money on a bow and then go cheap on accessories. It's my opinion you will be better served with a used bow and top end accessories.

I also use a Tru Ball. I have had the same release for over 10 years. Get a buckle one, not the velcro. I also use the Tight Spot. Fantastic quiver and very accurate with the quiver on. I never take it off the bow even tree stand hunting. Instead of Spot Hogg I went with Black Gold and really like the sight. I too agree the money should be spent on the accessories.

I like Carter Releases shot on a D-Loop. Forrest Carter is an Elk hunter and target shooter and knows what shooters/hunters want. I'm shooting the Carter Quickie.

The Tight Spot is on my wish list. Have used the 6 arrow quivers from FUSE (a Hoyt co) on all my Hoyt bows and they have been serviceable, and quiet.

Lots of releases out there. Try them out and find the MOST COMFORTABLE release when the shot is taken. Local bow shop will likely let you do this.

I personally like the releases with the wrist strap. It gives me more leverage & stability when I draw the bow back.

The other consideration is a FINGER or THUMB release. Some people punch a lot less with the thumb release.

good luck to all
the dog

I like truball beast as opposed to beast II. It will give extra draw length if short draw. I like the wrist too as I feel it gives me more leverage and power. Hopefully your archery shop will let you "test drive" their bows before you buy. Noticed you said Hoyt and Bowtech, tried both and also Mathews. Chose the Mathews,,,, smoothest drawing and quieter...

I shoot a scott silverhorn, awesome release. It is a hook type so I dont have to look down to hook in my release, I can quickly attach it to my loop without looking which I feel could be an advantage. The release itself is as smooth as you could ask for. I would find a good pro shop in the area and see what they have behind the counter for you to try.

Also have a tight spot quiver which cant be compared to your typical quiver. They turned quivers into gear in my opinion.

I also have an axcel armortech sight, you may check them out as well. Fully encased pins and the durability of the sight lives up to its name. I beat mine in the mountains of New Mexico for a week and was sure it would be off when the time came to shoot, but it was still dead on from 20-80 yards. (7pin)

I shoot Spot Hogg releases. Shot the Wiseguy last season, switched to their Saturday Night Special T handle this year. I shot fingers for 23 years, and the T handle is a little more intuitive.

I still struggle with either release, and shoot my Z7 fingers sometimes.

I shoot with a Like Mike by Carter. It's expensive ($160) but it is a great release. I would go to a pro shop and shoot several different releases to see what you like.

Go to the shop and try them out for the release and just get a 50-60 dollar quiver, the tight spot is way over priced IMO.

Tru Glow makes a couple really good quivers for a good price...I have one on my Switchback for my backup bow and I think it was less than $40

If you like your ripcord rest and your black gold sights, then you will like the tight spot quiver. I have all three on my bow, and I love them. Same guys behind all three products. You can't go wrong.

I also shoot a Scott Lil Goose release and have no complaints. I have a Fuse quiver that was available from my pro shop as an accessory for my Hoyt.

It is a little overwhelming with all the products on the market. I agree to go try some out to see what feels comfortable to you. I just bought my first one last summer and went with the Scott Little Bitty Goose with the adjustable nylon strap (3/8" wide or so). I really like it, but don't have much experience to compare it to. Good luck and hope you find fun in shooting again.

I shoot a Scott Release, not a lot of bad releases...Tru-ball, Scott, Carter...i shoot an index release..not a back tention guy...you can hunt with one...but more of a target archer thing.

Tightspot quiver all the way...ripcord good..I don't shoot one anymore..but great rest...
Blackgold sights all the way for me...

Can't beat Black Gold! No issue with Rip Cord, and Tight Spot is worth the money. Buy one and be done.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back