Travel-friendly Surf Casting Rod/Reel setup for Baja recommendations

Wrong Burgundy

Hey all of you saltwater drinking fishing legends who crush big fish on surf casting setups. Can you part with some knowledge on a solid 10-11' surf casting rod and reel with the intent of targeting 10 to potentially 30 or 40 lb. fish?
The family and I are headed back to Baja this summer, and I have fly-fished down there quite a bit, and have had a good time, but to really up the opportunity to catch bigger/badder fish like roosters, dorado, etc., I need more casting distance and the ability to switch between poppers, minnows, swimmers, jigs, etc.

We are on the Sea of Cortez side, so the surf at that time of year is basically flat and calm. I have been down there and in that area a lot, so am familiar with the fish/conditions, just not as much with the rod/reel/tackle options. My goal of a TRAVEL option is to limit baggage. Last year I had a big case for my speargun/polespear/etc. and it was cumbersome to say the least. Some options out there can fit in a standard size checked roller bag, which would be ideal. I also pack a breakdown polespear that also fits at a diagonal in my bigger suitcase, so I think I can get away with that and the rod/reel setup. I only bring about 5 pieces of clothing, so it is all gear really.

Here is one I have found:

What reel would you pair up with that to use braid in the 30# range? Again, my goals are packability, 10-11 ft. rod length, a suitable reel to handle 30# test braid and keep it under $500 in total. I have the line and all of the lures, jigs, poppers, etc. already.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Can't help with the rod, but the Shimano Miravel I picked up for stream fishing salmon & steelhead is a very nice mid=price point reel and rated for salt.

Good luck and good fishing!

I couldn't tell you the name of it. I found a 12' four piece in a thrift shop barrel. I replaced a couple of line guides and painted it blaze orange.
It fits in a fly rod travel case or in my big Rubbermaid rolling tubs I take to Alaska.

A quick google of "four piece Surf Casting rod" gave me a bunch of hits.

I think that rod you have linked is about as good as you're going to get. I'd combo with something like the Penn https://www.scheels.com/p/penn-batt...pinning-reels#pmin=100.00&pmax=250.00&start=7

But if I may rabbit hole for a sec, where did you find the spearfishing or just fishing regs? I swear I can never find an official page, just lots and lots of "guides"
I will check out that reel for sure. Appreciate it!

Regarding the rabbit hole question, on the regs/license side, I have used sites like this: https://app.sportfishingbcs.gob.mx/ppd/system/. to find the right permit.

One nice thing in Mexico is if you are fishing from the beach or accessing the water from the beach (as in spearfishing) you do not need a license. But if/when you get on a boat, you must have the proper license. They run about $30 a week, or you can get a full year license for about $60 if you are lucky enough to spend a ton of time down there fishing.

I will check out that reel for sure. Appreciate it!

Regarding the rabbit hole question, on the regs/license side, I have used sites like this: https://app.sportfishingbcs.gob.mx/ppd/system/. to find the right permit.

One nice thing in Mexico is if you are fishing from the beach or accessing the water from the beach (as in spearfishing) you do not need a license. But if/when you get on a boat, you must have the proper license. They run about $30 a week, or you can get a full year license for about $60 if you are lucky enough to spend a ton of time down there fishing.
What about limits and catch restrictions, method of take, etc?

Can you take a 4pc 12 ft rod broken down as a carry on? Seems like the airline might have a problem with a 3 foot tube. I keep worrying about taking the fly rod to Scotland and losing my freakin flyrod cause the airline wont let me take it on the plane.

Can you take a 4pc 12 ft rod broken down as a carry on? Seems like the airline might have a problem with a 3 foot tube. I keep worrying about taking the fly rod to Scotland and losing my freakin flyrod cause the airline wont let me take it on the plane.
When I went to Belize I was told I could take it as a carry on and that they could keep it up with the Stewardesses. I had 3 5-ft tubes all tapped together. It worked great for the first leg, I handed them off, then got them as I unloaded, then we had a layover and I was told when I boarded the next flight that they didn't have space and they would need to be checked... "but I assure you nothing will happen to them". Guess what? They didn't make it to Belize until 2 days before we left on a 3 week stay, I managed to get one half-ass trip with it but it was a really windy day and I didn't land shit. On the flight back I refused to be parted with them.

• Haha
Reactions: KB_
When I went to Belize I was told I could take it as a carry on and that they could keep it up with the Stewardesses. I had 3 5-ft tubes all tapped together. It worked great for the first leg, I handed them off, then got them as I unloaded, then we had a layover and I was told when I boarded the next flight that they didn't have space and they would need to be checked... "but I assure you nothing will happen to them". Guess what? They didn't make it to Belize until 2 days before we left on a 3 week stay, I managed to get one half-ass trip with it but it was a really windy day and I didn't land shit. On the flight back I refused to be parted with them.
Oh great, that really helps my anxiety lol

What about limits and catch restrictions, method of take, etc?
That I am not 100% sure about. When I went, and was spearfishing in particular, I speared about 4 fish one day (triggerfish and 3 small snappers) and fishing from the beach kept a few pargo and threw back a bunch of smaller random fish. All roosterfish get released.
That would likely be a further read in the regs for MX sportfishing.

You can definitely catch a fair number of fish, but it won't be like yarding on salmon in AK. Even from the boat, the captain/guide will keep things in check with what you can keep, want to keep, etc. Also, if you are keeping fish, you need to get it cut and bagged and on ice fast. A 20 or 30 pound dorado is a lot fish tacos, so keep that in mind!

I use Fiblink carbon fiber rods for travel stuff. Been a couple years since I had them out, but I think I have a 4 piece 9 or 10-footer and a 3 or 4 piece 7 footer. I can carry 2 reels and the short rod in my carry on. When I do take the 10 footer I just put it in a small diameter tube and throw it in the back in the overhead bins. Never had an issue.

Tica makes a collapsible rod that might work for your use...When traveling i always go with size I need not brand I like. I use there surf rods on the outer banx, and SC coast. I have a couple 9' for cast plugs and a couple 10' for weight and baits...Great rods for the price.

Reels I would go with 300 or 400 series Penn, depending on how much line you want.. I have 17lb mono on most of my set ups under 10 feet and under..never had problem with 40-50 inch drum...so they should spool up fine with 40lb braid.

Whatever you get take ur set up to a local football field and practice with just lead before your trip..you need to learn to load your rod up to get a good cast.
Tight Lines and Good Luck!

This 10' seems a bit better. Recommended lure weight 1-3 seems pretty in line with the surf fishing I've done.

The Ardito is a great travel surf rod.. I own 3 medium heavy rods. I paired all with a Daiwa BG 5000/6500, caught sharks as large as 5-6ft on them. Setup is capable of throwing 2oz weights with a bout a 3-4" chunk of mullet. Pretty sure it'll handle most lures. Maybe not the best rods for throwing smaller lures, but its plenty capable and packable, definitely performs the best throwing 3-5oz on the end, not sure if the medium would be better for smaller lures? BG 5000 pairs with the rod well as far balance, however being in the Baja I am assuming jacks/roosters you might want a 6500 for line capacity.

Last edited:
The Ardito is a great travel surf rod.. I own 3 medium heavy rods. I paired all with a Daiwa BG 5000/6500, caught sharks as large as 5-6ft on them. Setup is capable of throwing 2oz weights with a bout a 3-4" chunk of mullet. Pretty sure it'll handle most lures. Maybe not the best rods for throwing smaller lures, but its plenty capable and packable, definitely performs the best throwing 3-5oz on the end, not sure if the medium would be better for smaller lures? BG 5000 pairs with the rod well as far balance, however being in the Baja I am assuming jacks/roosters you might want a 6500 for line capacity.
Awesome advice, thanks for that! Also appreciate the reel suggestions. I was looking at a few in the 6500 to 8000 range, so that helps knowing your personal experience.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back