Yeti GOBOX Collection

Hunting App/GPS for iPhone question

MTHunter1321

I'm looking at getting a GPS tracker on my phone for this season. I'm planning on setting up a tent in the mountains and would like something that I can mark waypoints on, so I can get an exact location as to where the camp is to give to my hunting partner and make sure I know exactly how to make it back to camp. I know OnXmaps are very popular, however I do not need any landowner information as I'll be on National Forest land, so I'd like to maybe save a little money by going a different route. Does anyone have an app that they would recommend that works even if there's no cell coverage that tracks your route, saves your waypoints, and can give you an idea of the topography? Thanks!

I've heard good things about Gaia GPS. I believe all gps apps now work in airplane mode now so you can really stretch the battery. The only thing would be caching the basemaps before you go out as no cell coverage=no data=no downloads. FWIW I use an iPhone.

I don't have it yet, but I'm researching the same thing, and from what I've read the GAIA app is very popular.

Emrah

Backcountry navigator. Just make sure to cache the maps before you go. Its more app than I know what to do with but its got nice topo maps and its like $12-$15 I think. You can do the free trial for a week or something like that I think.

I use Backcountry Navigator also. You cab use whatever maps you want and even upload custom maps wroth boundry lines etc.

You can download the onxmaps app for free and use it for free it just won't have landowner data until you purchase the state layer. All the imagery, cashing, logging routes will work.

Are there any of these maps that have aerial imagery? I have the onx for my GPS which has the topo but I am looking for something that I can scout for openings, water, etc while out in the field.

Onx has aerial for it's mobile app. not sure about GPS.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back