How many pins?

Trophy Ridge Micro Cypher 5 is a good five pin sight. If you are going after elk you will need 20-60 yard pins. Don't forget to check and see where you bubble shoots. Using my bubble it's good for eighty yards.

I've been shooting a 4 pin for the past couple seasons sighted in at 20, 30, 40, 50. I sometimes wish I had a 5 pin, but it would probly only end up being used for target shooting. I love shooting long range for practice as it makes a those 20-30 yard shots feel like nothing, but anything up over 50 yards is too far to be shooting at an animal for me. I have shot a 3 pin sight with a fourth floating pin before, and really like that option as well. For those of you that shoot the 7 pin sights... does your view feel "cluttered" at all or is it something you just get used to? I've always wondered how things don't all just run together when you have that many pins.

3 pin. if you have a newer bow, or a faster one, that's all you need. set the first one up at 20-25, step back until you start missing the center of the target by a bunch, then set your second pin. will be able to cover the shortage of the first pin. do the same with that. 3 pins will get you out to an easy 50 yards with the flatter shooting bows.

first pin, good from 0 to maybe 35 yards.
second pin, good from 35 to 45
third, good from 45 to 55
all estimates

less stuff to mess with your field of view when aiming with three pins.

Being a rifle guy primarily, I like a pin for the yardage I'm shooting, so I have a 5 pin, 20-60. But the other day when I was practicing, I shot off my 30 yard pin at a 40 yard target. I knew it was my 30 yard pin and my brain just locked onto it and it was all over. I hope that never happens in the field.

I must have a really simple mind, because my view (read: brain) gets cluttered even with just 3 pins. I don't think I could do this single pin thing, but I think no more than 3 for me.

When I had my 15+ year old PSE Nova at a whopping 55#, it wasn't so much of an issue. There was plenty of gap between my pins. 20 and 30 pins were easy to distinguish. I had a 40 yard pin too and shot that far in practice, but in the field that would be a pipe dream.

Now that I have my Elites (Pure, Z28), those pins are an awful lot closer! I'm still adjusting to having an orange 30 yard pin. My pins go: Green, Orange, Red. The 20 yarder (Green) is pretty easy. 40 too. But it's that damn pin in the middle that gets fuzzy, what with a pin on either side, target bullseye in the background, etc. I might try moving pins around so the orange isn't the one in the middle.

Anyway, I've blathered enough.

Emrah

I shoot four pins but I am an easterner. That said, I can't see well enough to shoot beyond 50.

One for 20 yds. - If the target is closer I hold low, if its farther away I hold high. It works. Just like shooting a rifle only on a smaller scale.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MontanaPete59102
Back