How many pins?

HighDesertSage

I am in the market for a new bow package. How many pins do you guys use and what are the distances for them? I can't decide between a 3 pin or a 5 pin. I will be using the bow mostly for elk. Thanks!

I am in the market for a new bow package. How many pins do you guys use and what are the distances for them? I can't decide between a 3 pin or a 5 pin. I will be using the bow mostly for elk. Thanks!

i use 5 pin set for 20, 40, 50, 60, 70...shoot between 20 & 40 for 30
however you set it, i really don't see a reason for 3 pin if you're not hunting out east

I use a single pin sight. I have marks up to 60 yards. For the most part, I leave it on 20 yards and will adjust it if necessary. I have been using this type of sight my whole life and haven't run into any problems yet as far as not being able to adjust it. If they move farther away while I'm drawn, I just hold a little high. I find this sight is easy to center in my peep in lower light conditions because I can use the circle of the sight to center as well.
I'm sure the multi-pin sights have advantages and work great if you use them regulary, I just haven't used them yet.

I use a single pin sight. I have marks up to 60 yards. For the most part, I leave it on 20 yards and will adjust it if necessary. I have been using this type of sight my whole life and haven't run into any problems yet as far as not being able to adjust it. If they move farther away while I'm drawn, I just hold a little high. I find this sight is easy to center in my peep in lower light conditions because I can use the circle of the sight to center as well.
I'm sure the multi-pin sights have advantages and work great if you use them regulary, I just haven't used them yet.
This is the setup I favor/use as well. Prior to having a pin that moved, I just used one set at 20 and learned the holds out to 40. However, where I was hunting then, a bow shot past 30yds was all but improbable.

Three pins. 15, 30, 45. With the speed of bows now these are even close together. I think if you had five it would look to cluttered

When I used a sight, this was my set-up.

3 pins 20/30/40!
Used to do as 1_pointer, and know hold over by shooting plenty with practice makes perfect mindset. I liked to place a tanned piece of hide with hair on my target and shoot for hairs.
(Bowhunting is primative imo, and if ya want to shoot 80-100 yards pick up the muzzle loader.These new bows and sights and arrows and speedsare crazy so 80 yards is probably like my 35, or 40? either way, let us know what you pick up!)

I would suggest using a 5 pin setup, you should need to shoot out past 60 yards and I prefer to use a Black Gold sight. good luck with finding a bow package, and most likely you will want to upgrade the sight that comes with it.

Agree . . . 5 pins (20, 30, 40, 50 & 60). I only use my 60 at bowshoots.

As you can see, it is kind of personal preference. 10 yard increments is nice... starting at 20 and out to however far you plan on shooting.

I have 3 sights on 3 different bows:

Whitetail - 4pins AXT Carnivore / 20-50 yds
Western Setup (Primary) - 7 pins Black Gold / 20-75 yds
Western Setup (backup) - 5 pins SpotHogg / 20-60 yds

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back