Caribou Gear

how do you hunt fall turkey?

aman

I've never hunted fall turkey before. I know they're not going to be interested in mating and they might not be very vocal and respond to any calls.

How should I approach fall turkey hunting?

Just like whitetail find where they're feeding then find their roost area setup in between the roost and the food. I bowhunt for them in the fall so I setup a ground blind (to cover drawing the bow) a few decoys won't hurt anything although not necessary. If you're using a rifle I would think it would be as simple as checking the fields they feed in until you find them then shooting straight I've never hunted turkey with a rifle so not sure of those tactics. Another thing I've read about is busting up fall flocks by running at a flock or using a dog to bust them up then setting up in that same area and lightly calling. Supposedly the flock will regroup in the same general area. I've never done or even seen this done but I've read and heard enough about it from people who know there stuff to think the tactic has to have some merit.

I spot and stalk with a 22 Magnum. If you can bust up the flock, find spot in the general direction most of them went and try calling, they will often respond to a hen yelp or two.

When you bust up a flock get a good hide and do very long KI-KI runs. I called straight for 50-60 seconds. The birds will come in and often call back the same way. GJ

Patterning and ambush. Most of my fall birds have come home with me by knowing roost and feed travel routes or areas that are frequented by the birds.

Remember that right now, the birds will be in three distinct flock status: boys (jakes and toms), hens with their young of the year, and barren hens. So if you find a flock of birds, and see hens there, you can be fairly certain there will not be any toms running with the group. Later when the turkeys form up their "winter" flocks, everybody is joining in and will be all together. I have seen flocks of 100-400 birds in the depth of the wintertime.

Areas that hold birds in the spring can be devoid of turkeys in the fall/winter time, so don't assume that you can for sure find birds where you saw them in the spring.

There have been times when I inadvertently spooked a flock, or already killed my one fall bird (come one Kansas, let us have more than one fall bird!! ) and have made the "assembly" call of a mother hen, along with some kee-kee's or kee-kee/yelps of young of the year birds, and nearly been trampled by the inexperienced birds nearly walking over my outstretched legs. Its an amazing experience when you mouth whistle (kee-kee) and yelp and get those birds to huddle up on your sounds.

I pattern in the fall. Can almost set your watch with the consistency of the movement of a flock. I have used a wing call to lure in gobblers in autumn though not often and usually end up with a Jake or hen in the autumn. The ki-ki-run call will work for a busted flock.

Spot and shoot with a 222 or 223.... or if I'm archery hunting and watch some roost I hunt them in the morning with a shot gun and decoy like in the spring.

I don't hunt, specifically, for turkey in the fall but I always pick up an archery tag in case I see some while deer hunting. I've had great success calling them in during the fall (better than any calling in the spring that I've done). The catch is that the hens and young birds come in easy, if there are toms they will follow, but often the toms aren't with the hens.

Well boys I went out there and hunted hard. I had 4 turkey tags and spent 2 days out in the woods. I saw plenty of turkey sign (not sure how old) but could not glass a single damn bird. Multiple times I wanted to quit and go into town and chill until evening but I forced myself to hunt the whole day.

The turkey in the photo is just my hen decoy. A coyote tried to attack it one morning hahaha.

IMG_2705.jpg
IMG_2758.jpg
IMG_2706.jpg
IMG_2752.jpg

Back