Caribou Gear Tarp

Help w WY PP's

Trigger50

Help me out here guys. I have been pouring over the WY website, but cant find the right answer @ preference points.
I hunt deer/antelope every yr in WY as a non-resident. I hunt in an area that's an easy draw, so I'm not overly familiar w the pt system.
I want to start building elk pts in WY. Can I just buy the elk pt every summer planning for a good hunt several yrs from now. Kinda like CO. Or do I have to apply to keep the pts eventhough I dont neccesarily want the tag that yr ?
If I have to apply, should I just apply for an area there's no chance I will draw...if I dont want the tag that yr? Thanks.

I am new at this but if you apply for a unit there is a small chance you could get drawn in the random draw. There are a few tags from the quota that goes into a random draw for all the unsuccessful aplicants. This draw is not point based purley random. If you don't feel lucky or there is no way you could do a hunt that year just buy the point in the summer. You can do this every year until your ready to draw. I hope I helped and if I'm wrong someone will correct me. I like to look at diyhuntingmaps.com. They have maps for some units and lots of data on every unit. You can look at drae odds, points needed, harvest data, roads per square mile,elevation range of unit, and roughness ect...

You can purchase a point for antelope, deer, and elk without listing a unit. I believe the purchase period runs from July 1 to September 30.

Yep, he's correct in that if you don't want a tag don't apply in the draw! Just buy a point each year during the application period of 7/1-9/30 until you decide you have enough to start applying for the unit you want in the draw. Antelope are $30, deer are $40, and elk are $50.

Back