Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Guide or resident needed for non resident to hunt in Wyoming.

the point trying to be made is that there certainly is something that can be done but, the outcome would not be favorable and net-net likely worse for NR's.

it's just how politics work. when two sides go to bat in the statehouse concessions have to be made to gain votes, otherwise the side holding the power ain't gonna let go of what they already have without gaining something, or more, in return. losing tags in the public pool is a concession that very likely would have to be made to gain wilderness hunting access.

it comes down to a simple question: would you rather hunt wyoming more or hunt wyoming less? that's kinda what it boils down to. less DIY hunting for the NR being the likely outcome if you go to bat with WYOGA over this.

much bigger fish to fry. much much bigger.
If this doesn't take care of the entire argument, then there is no hope here.

I appreciate the response.

Haven't things changed drastically since 1985? NR hunting is an incredible source of funding for F&G. I can't imagine WYOGA can even come close to touching the number that NR DIY hunters are bringing for the state.

I imagine getting the law overturned would be the easy part when compared to keeping the current tag allocations. What can realistically be done by NRs relating to this issue?

WYOGA are the ones who fight for NR tags typically? So there is reason to support them, but also reason to oppose them as a NR if I'm understanding it correctly.

Is there anything that can be done that is overall beneficial?

Honestly - I can relate to your passion on this.

There's not a whole lot a NR can do about it - and I think things end up worse. If this was to get pushed to BHA and prioritized you have 2 wolves (R and outfitters) deciding what's for dinner with a sheep (NR) in terms of overall opportunity for NR... The NR have no teeth at all, per all the arrangements of our government (which we can't change). One of R favorite things to blame when the hunt doesnt go right are NR.

Residents have their reasons too. Lots of jobs pay less, houses cost more, living is more uncomfortable (amenities etc), uphill both ways ;) so in their eyes it's baked into the cake of the of living there.

Wyoming is a great place to live though - no chit id move from MN. lol

If this was to get pushed to BHA and prioritized you have 2 wolves (R and outfitters) deciding what's for dinner with a sheep (NR) in terms of overall opportunity for NR...
Just a heads up everyone, BHA as a national organization does not have any position on NR/R tag allocation. Both Buzz and me are on state chapter boards, but please don't mistake Buzz's positions (or mine) as representing BHA as a whole on these issues. Speaking for myself (although I think @BuzzH might agree), we have simply pointed out the precedents and legal structures in place that have already determined that states have the ultimate say in managing wildlife for the citizens of the state.

I mostly speak only for myself on this website (except regarding the MT Mule Deer Raffle, or when clarifying some of MT-BHA's work during the legislative session).

Just a heads up everyone, BHA as a national organization does not have any position on NR/R tag allocation. Both Buzz and me are on state chapter boards, but please don't mistake Buzz's positions (or mine) as representing BHA as a whole on these issues. Speaking for myself (although I think @BuzzH might agree), we have simply pointed out the precedents and legal structures in place that have already determined that states have the ultimate say in managing wildlife for the citizens of the state.

I mostly speak only for myself on this website (except regarding the MT Mule Deer Raffle, or when clarifying some of MT-BHA's work during the legislative session).
Apologies @BuzzH and @Elky Welky - BHA was just the easy org that came to mind - meant for example purposes.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rds
Back