Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Grouse guns

Rooster52

What do you all shoot for grouse ?

I usually use a gun my father left me,a Remingtn 20 gauge auto. But now I just got from my son in a trade a 12 gauge O/U KAHN. It has never been shot as of yet but it pulls up good for me.
My son won this in a drawing and did not want it so I traded him a Savage 243 for it.

Last edited:
Stick and string or if close to truck .22. Love eating those tasty lil buggers, almost as much fun as chasing elk. (you at least get to shoot more, and they clean easier, packs are shorter also for some reason)

Cut my teeth upland hunting with a Browning Gold 20GA Auto. Traded it on a CA Ringneck SXS 12GA. Love the CZ. Shoots very well, Swings Very well. It is quite heavy for a shotgun, but I can manage that.

I do miss the Browning though. Don't think it was a bad trade, but I made lots of memories with that Browning...

I threw rocks at a dusky grouse for a good 10 minutes this fall. It would just watch the rocks fly by, or duck/move aside if necessary. Then it would look at me wondering why I was acting so strange.

I threw rocks at a dusky grouse for a good 10 minutes this fall. It would just watch the rocks fly by, or duck/move aside if necessary. Then it would look at me wondering why I was acting so strange.

The rock has to be big enough that it can't easily bob and weave out of the way.;)

Doesn't even have to be a Winny. Wally World .410 single at $119 on sale 10 odd years ago. Guy in camp may be gassed after a hard day (wussy) and stay in camp, but still go out and get some grouse as we leave it in the kitchen tent. Somebody always shows up with a box of shells even though they don't own one. Haven't bought any for years!

Stopped at a check station about 3 years ago manned by one guy. He could care less about license and tags because he was doing a grouse study. Did you see any, what type, how many? Yadda, yadda, "Well you guys have a good day."

Winchester model 37 .410

For Ruffed grouse I use a Franchi model 48AL 12GA. That gun just fits me well and I shoot it well. It has a modified choke, a little tight but it serves me well. I wish I could find one like it with screw ins. The don't make it in 12GA anymore.
Spruce and Blues I have used rocks....

Last spruce I killed was with a baseball sized rock. Wouldn't have bothered but a whole flock of them kept moving ahead of me through the quakies as I'm trying to get to a good glassing location and they made more noise than I could tolerate.

Best day of rock chucking was two grouse in six throws, while waiting for a friend at an agreed upon location while scouting for elk. Almost got a third, but after two close misses he had had enough. When seriously hunting with my shorthair, I use a Beretta Onyx 20 ga. over/under.

Grouse are too damn tasty to be sporting about. I am amazed that their populations have maintained with their foolish predilections.

I am grateful when one gives me a shot and re-affirms my archery accuracy. It is a great mood booster during challenging hunts.

Ruger red label 20 gauge or classic Ithaca double 20 gauge. The red label is a little heavy for my taste, but I shoot it very well instinctively.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 302
PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCEAB
Back