PEAX Equipment

Ground blind and broadheads

blackbeard

With my daughter turning 12 she wants to start archery hunting. Anybody have a good suggestion for a groundblind that will fit 2 people with some room. What about broadheads for a low poundage bow, 35 pounds.

I'd look at one of the many newer "see through" blind options. See: Primos Surroundview Blinds

You'll get recommendations for just about every broadhead under the sun. My 2 cents are for a sharp 2-blade cut on contact that flies well out of her bow, lots of options there.

I figured there'd be lots of opinions about broadheads I just haven't ever looked for a 2 blade other than my trad bow. Thanks for the input

JT13 offered some good advice on both the blind and heads. To expand a bit, I’ve set-up women’s and kid’s low poundage bows with Magnus Black Hornets (2-blade) broad heads. They fly extremely well, are tough, leave a good blood trail, and have a lifetime guarantee. Can’t beat that.

You might also consider the G5 Montecs in 85grain.

For what it is worth, I have had terrible luck with Muddy ground blinds.

Last edited:
i have used Ameristep ground blinds for years. Muddy i have had friends say they do not hold up at all. Broadheads you will get a different answer from most people. I use grim reapers but again that is just my preference. Id suggest which ever she can group the best!

Spend a little extra money on your ground blind and go with a larger size than you think you need. We finally got smart and went that direction and what a difference it makes!

With my daughter turning 12 she wants to start archery hunting. Anybody have a good suggestion for a groundblind that will fit 2 people with some room. What about broadheads for a low poundage bow, 35 pounds.
I have been using the Ameristep 'The Care Taker' and it's been in the woods full time for 3 years. Had to fix some holes caused by falling branches bit it's to be expected. As for room you could put a cot in this thing and use it as a camp! Plenty of windows. I'd rather be in a tree stand but I'm closer to 80 than 70 so I think it's a good idea to keep both feet on the ground.

I have been using the Ameristep 'The Care Taker' and it's been in the woods full time for 3 years. Had to fix some holes caused by falling branches bit it's to be expected. As for room you could put a cot in this thing and use it as a camp! Plenty of windows. I'd rather be in a tree stand but I'm closer to 80 than 70 so I think it's a good idea to keep both feet on the ground.
Snacktimefeeder.com

Baronett Big Mike, heavy arrow with a big two blade.and keep the range inside 20. You want heavy because it penetrates.and is quiet. Speed is irrelevant at the short range to a point. I've shot two from the same herd inside fifteen yards from a ground blind because heavy arrows are quiet.

A big two blade will help on the blood trail when shooting from the ground, even if it doesn't exit, moreso than small entrance and exit. That's different than from a treestand where having a small exit low is better than a big entrance high up.

No experience with blinds. But for broadheads my 2 cents is stay away from anything that uses (wastes) alot of your limited energy punching a giant entrance hole. IE rages, etc.

I would be looking at a small single bevel 2 blade head, possibly a small 3 blade fixed head like the g5 or muzzys, or a 1.75" swhacker type head that uses almost no energy making a small entrance hole. I think swhacker may even make a low energy type head.

Also its still a tradeoff on speed vs penetration with her arrows. Go to light and you give up alot of penetration, go to heavy and your pins get real wide.

Could also go to 5mm or even 4mm arrows to help with penetration a little too.

Learning from my mistakes on my last arrows where I went with real heavy inserts and now i cant lighten them up, I'd build a lighter arrow with a light insert for top speed, then if wanted you can up broadhead weight, or use threaded weights that screw in the backside of the insert, or even insert "extensions" in 25 or 50 grains.

I think a good option is to try to get to 10 to 12 grains per pound for your arrows. For a broadhead you might look at the Magnus stinger two blade. You can get 100, 125 or 150 grain broadheads. They are easy to sharpen and if it bends or breaks they will replace it under their warranty.

I think a good option is to try to get to 10 to 12 grains per pound for your arrows. For a broadhead you might look at the Magnus stinger two blade. You can get 100, 125 or 150 grain broadheads. They are easy to sharpen and if it bends or breaks they will replace it under their warranty.
I know many will roll their eyes but 150gr and up would be my recommendation. Heavy and sharp broadheads make a lower poundage bow a non issue. Even improving on a higher poundage bow.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rds
Back