$60 for a loose screw

perma

I’m a first generation archer. When I moved to the Midwest, I did not have a gun that fit the regulations. So in order to hunt more than just elk once a year, I learned how to shoot a bow.

Fast forward, I am shooting my bow in the back yard and noticed my arrows were flying crooked. Like bad crooked. Guessing that they made a 45* angle to say the least. I tried to align my rest with my string and ended up running out of room. I took it to my local archery shop. Needless to say, they were unhappy with how I was taking care of my bow. They said they’d look at it for $60 and give it a “hunters tune”.

I get a call today and my bow is ready. I asked the man what did he find. Apparently, the screw holding my rest was way too short and it took a quarter turn before it fell out. Because of that, my rest was not engaging at full draw, so the fletching was hitting the rest.

Upset, I paid the man what he deserved because I’m too ignorant to look for a stupid set screw. He was nice about it, and he gave me some bow maintenance tips. Lesson. Learned. The good news is I can poke to 40 yards peacefully again. Just need to set up my sight tape.

I need more archer friends in my life.

I’m a first generation archer. When I moved to the Midwest, I did not have a gun that fit the regulations. So in order to hunt more than just elk once a year, I learned how to shoot a bow.

Fast forward, I am shooting my bow in the back yard and noticed my arrows were flying crooked. Like bad crooked. Guessing that they made a 45* angle to say the least. I tried to align my rest with my string and ended up running out of room. I took it to my local archery shop. Needless to say, they were unhappy with how I was taking care of my bow. They said they’d look at it for $60 and give it a “hunters tune”.

I get a call today and my bow is ready. I asked the man what did he find. Apparently, the screw holding my rest was way too short and it took a quarter turn before it fell out. Because of that, my rest was not engaging at full draw, so the fletching was hitting the rest.

Upset, I paid the man what he deserved because I’m too ignorant to look for a stupid set screw. He was nice about it, and he gave me some bow maintenance tips. Lesson. Learned. The good news is I can poke to 40 yards peacefully again. Just need to set up my sight tape.

Start going to some 3d shoots in your area, or look for an archery club. Lots of good dudes at both places.

Ah yes at least it only cost you sixty bucks.
I paid 230 and it went back, still waiting.
Keep up the practise.

Can't remember exactly the saying but it would be something like You didnt pay $60 for the 5 minutes it took to fix it but $60 for the years it took to learn how to fix it in 5 minutes. None the less $60 seems steep

Can't remember exactly the saying but it would be something like You didnt pay $60 for the 5 minutes it took to fix it but $60 for the years it took to learn how to fix it in 5 minutes. None the less $60 seems steep
Yup, I was happy to pay the man. He knew what I didn’t. I’m just annoyed that I didn’t bother checking.

I paid a service tech $89 yesterday to get my A/C condenser running, after spending weeks and $100 on parts to fix it myself with no luck. Turns out the tech from the company who installed the furnace plugged the A/C wire into the humidifier spot on the control board, I assumed it was installed right...it's the little things that will get you.

Last edited:

That $60 helps the small shop stay open, meaning you get the expertise close to you for longer, along with a qualified repair guy, a place to meet new archers, and you'll build a relationship with the owner as you gladly paid for the help. All sounnds like a win to me, and for just $60.

Just a recommendation. I converted a small fish tackle box into a "bow box". I carry nothing but archery stuff, Allen-wrenches, broadheads, broadhead replacement blades, extra nocks, extra screws, tools to work on your bow, bow string wax, extra calls, you name it. I take this box with me when I go hunting in the event something needs to be fixed or tinkered with while in the field. IT has come in handy on a several occasions.

That $60 helps the small shop stay open, meaning you get the expertise close to you for longer, along with a qualified repair guy, a place to meet new archers, and you'll build a relationship with the owner as you gladly paid for the help. All sounnds like a win to me, and for just $60.
Yup, they taught me a good lesson for $60. That’s where I’ll buy my next bow. I’ll always buy from stores that teach me new things.

Just a recommendation. I converted a small fish tackle box into a "bow box". I carry nothing but archery stuff, Allen-wrenches, broadheads, broadhead replacement blades, extra nocks, extra screws, tools to work on your bow, bow string wax, extra calls, you name it. I take this box with me when I go hunting in the event something needs to be fixed or tinkered with while in the field. IT has come in handy on a several occasions.
Yup I have a satchel that I keep glue, nocks, d-loop, allen key set, etc just in case of some unforeseen event. Now I just need a brain to check the simple things.

The good news is that I’ve now hunted since 2018 and have never had a need for the satchel or any of its contents. I count the lucky stars that I can make it one more august/September.

Ah, that stings, but not the end of the world. I am a new archer as well and had a set screw come loose on my string stop. I thought I had lost it, so I ordered a new one and then realized that it was simply loose. Couple of turns with the allen key and I was back in business. The screw is small and so deep in there that I couldn't see it and just assumed it was gone. I need more archery friends too.

Bow shoots much better. I have my 20 30 40 back with straight arrows. Only issue now is my broadheads don’t group with my field points (BH are too far left). I’m shooting tooth of the arrow. Wasn’t really a fan of how small and blocky they look, so I’m going to get some new ones tomorrow that are a bit longer.

Money well spent.

Back