Yeti GOBOX Collection

Grinding day

wytex

Trying to get some meat thawed out for grinding tomorrow.
Elk burger, yes we add 10% beef fat, and pork breakfast sausage.

We get our seasonings from a couple of butchers in Texas that we like, German town and the 2 processors there make great products.
Should get 50# of burger, some to share, and 10# of breakfast.
Summer sausage, Octoberfest and German sausage later.

Let's see your sausage making day.

We buy it at the Meat market in my spouse's hometown, it's a German town and 2 processors make great sausage.
BIL uses Leggs seasoning for his and it is good as well.
I've found most processors/butchers will sell you their seasoning if you ask.

Thanks for sharing. I made up a batch of breakfast sausage last week from my deer. I use the Leggs seasoning as well, and mixed it 60/40 deer/pork shoulder. Coarse grind, add seasoning, coarse grind again. Done and package.

We usually do our big grinding day in March 300-350 lbs of finished product. Summer sausage, ring bologna, snack sticks. Before then I will grind a couple of deer for straight burger.

Making summer sausage today, 25 lbs.
The smoking tomorrow might be a challenge, cold and wind in the forecast. Looks like finishing in the oven this year but we'll see.

So do I understand it that you freeze all your game until the end of the season? Wondering if that’s reasonable to do outside of doing it 3 different times like I did.

Yes, we freeze all the meat until weather is right, cold enough in the garage, and we have the time.
The burger usually gets down much earlier, sausage later in season or after season.
We'll do some Oktoberfest sausage next.

Thanks to Hess Meat Co. for the summer sausage seasoning, they make great sausage.
We went with 14 lbs game- deer and antelope, and 11 lbs pork butt.
1st grind was just course chilly meat type then 2 grinds with the finer plate, we stuff on the last grind.
It will rest overnight then go into the smoker for a couple of hours tomorrow and finish up in the oven.

Took 1 hr from start of cutting up pork butt to cleaning up the equipment.
Plenty of time left to watch the second half of Texas whooping' up on OSU.
DSCN5078 copy.jpg

We buy it at the Meat market in my spouse's hometown, it's a German town and 2 processors make great sausage.
BIL uses Leggs seasoning for his and it is good as well.
I've found most processors/butchers will sell you their seasoning if you ask.
New Braunfels?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back