Brockel sausage party

Reading this thread is giving me flashbacks from being a kid and having my dad yell at me when I missed the spot on the forehead and the pig went nuts and tore down the paneling in the make shift chute, sprayed blood all over, and damn near ran over my dad and I. He was so pissed running around the yard trying to get that pig killed. Needless to say my trigger man duties got revoked for that year.

Not to mention going to school with my hands so stiff from skinning pigs all weekend I could barely write. It’s like trying to work your phone when your hands are frozen.

Ahhh good times…

I put then in the stock trailer and shoot. If you miss your mark he’s not going far. My finger tips are still sore today.

You can find butcher pigs from anywhere for $1.00/pd hanging weight up to $2.50/pd live for specialty breeds.

You’ll lose about 25 - 30% of weight at slaughter, then some more for bones etc in the butcher process.

I save as much as possible, all the fat etc, plus the head (head cheese) and stuff and can get around 200 pds into the freezer off a 300 - 325 pd live weight hog.
Man you lost me at head cheese. We raised hogs growing up and I distinctly remember making this. Add it to the list of raw calf nuts and conch cocks as things I won't eat. Although the conch seviche was quite good.

Man you lost me at head cheese. We raised hogs growing up and I distinctly remember making this. Add it to the list of raw calf nuts and conch cocks as things I won't eat. Although the conch seviche was quite good.
One of my grandfather’s many side gigs was butcher. Head cheese is just a taste of my childhood that I love. Same with beef tongue, onion, and mustard sandwiches. Seems like one or the other was always in the fridge.

One of my grandfather’s many side gigs was butcher. Head cheese is just a taste of my childhood that I love. Same with beef tongue, onion, and mustard sandwiches. Seems like one or the other was always in the fridge.
I can remember being young like just old enough to read and seeing a bag labeled head cheese in the fridge. Looking at it thinking that cheese must be old as hell it's gone bad. The tongue onion and mustard though is some top notch eating I haven't heard anybody bring that up in a LONG time.

I can remember being young like just old enough to read and seeing a bag labeled head cheese in the fridge. Looking at it thinking that cheese must be old as hell it's gone bad. The tongue onion and mustard though is some top notch eating I haven't heard anybody bring that up in a LONG time.
Love tongue sandwiches. One of my favorite scenes (and characters) in Justified was Ellstin Limehouse talking about his smoked tongue.

Have had beef de lengua tacos...delicious.
I’ve got a foreman who’s wife is an amazing cook. She’s making me a batch of lengua from a couple beef, elk, deer, and antelope tongues.

Also turning an entire antelope ham into tamales for me. I tell Jose all the time if I was married to his wife I’d be 300 pounds.

I’ve got a foreman who’s wife is an amazing cook. She’s making me a batch of lengua from a couple beef, elk, deer, and antelope tongues.

Also turning an entire antelope ham into tamales for me. I tell Jose all the time if I was married to his wife I’d be 300 pounds.
I told my buddy Marco the same thing. My God those women can cook. After eating at there house a few times when my wife tells me she's making Mexican for dinner it's all I can do to keep my mouth shut.

Hog killing time was long a tradition in the South but with the rare exceptions, it has nearly disappeared from the social calendar. That's what it became, not only a means of subsistence but also a social event.

We had one every winter which usually involved several families of kinfolk and made for a long day, but with the advent of a local cold storage plant and slaughter house opening up in town we gradually got out of the habit when I was in my teens. Sure do miss those events. We have an expression down here which applies to any cold morning of the fall/winter that "It's a good day for a hog killing." but most of the younger set below 60 or so don't know what the hell you're talking about.

Grandma Riser made us beef tongue sandwiches when I was a kid. Comfort food for sure.

We did the whole pig thing on the ranch every year. Kill 'em, scald 'em, scrape 'em, skin 'em, cut 'em, grind 'em.
We ate it all. You left out pickled pig's feet and ham hocks.

Grandma's baking was legendary round about. For her it was lard or nothing.
I was that way too until my sister introduced me to bear fat pie crusts.

Back