Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Brockel sausage party

brockel

Been a couple years since we’ve butchered a pig. Talked to a friend and they had some ready and with the weather turning cold figured it was a good time to do one. Nothing special getting done. Will do a few roasts and chops and sausage. Haven’t decided if I’ll make bacon or side pork yet or if I’ll just grind it. I’ll make that call once I see what it looks like.
F44DB39D-59A3-400C-AC5D-5636E6A6C060.jpeg

What does a whole pig go for and how many lbs can you yield from it?
You can find butcher pigs from anywhere for $1.00/pd hanging weight up to $2.50/pd live for specialty breeds.

You’ll lose about 25 - 30% of weight at slaughter, then some more for bones etc in the butcher process.

I save as much as possible, all the fat etc, plus the head (head cheese) and stuff and can get around 200 pds into the freezer off a 300 - 325 pd live weight hog.

We paid $1/lb live weight. Should end up with about 175 lbs into the freezer
You can find butcher pigs from anywhere for $1.00/pd hanging weight up to $2.50/pd live for specialty breeds.

You’ll lose about 25 - 30% of weight at slaughter, then some more for bones etc in the butcher process.

I save as much as possible, all the fat etc, plus the head (head cheese) and stuff and can get around 200 pds into the freezer off a 300 - 325 pd live weight hog.
That is a lot more pig than I thought. I was thinking no more than 100 lbs. Maybe I’ll opt for half.

Tenderloins in green chili after slow cooking in a crock pot all day is succulent…..

That is a lot more pig than I thought. I was thinking no more than 100 lbs. Maybe I’ll opt for half.

Tenderloins in green chili after slow cooking in a crock pot all day is succulent…..
But there sooooo much good stuff on a pig. If you’re just getting the butcher cuts you’re missing out on the best stuff. Home made cracklings, your own sausage, jowl bacon, head cheese… just get a whole hog and butcher it yourself. Plenty of YouTube videos on how to do it, and loads of sausage how to books.

If you want a good start get Charcuterie by Ruhlman and Polcyn.

Not much better than mixing sausage and getting to taste test it before committing to it. I’ll save a lot of the fat for making brauts later this year if I end up finding an antelope I want or shoot an elk

But there sooooo much good stuff on a pig. If you’re just getting the butcher cuts you’re missing out on the best stuff. Home made cracklings, your own sausage, jowl bacon, head cheese… just get a whole hog and butcher it yourself. Plenty of YouTube videos on how to do it, and loads of sausage how to books.

If you want a good start get Charcuterie by Ruhlman and Polcyn.

Ya a pig is about as easy as it comes for self butchering.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back