Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Going into AZ draw with 15 points, any suggestions ?

Sharp stick

A buddy and I will be applying with a 15 point average this year to AZ for archery elk hunting. We spent 10 days scouting a handful of zones several years ago during elk season to see where the most pressure was, what the terrain is like in each of our selected areas, etc, in general we just wanted intel so we would not be going in completely blind since neither of us has hunted elk in AZ before. We have been hunting elk in Co for 25 - 30 years so at least we have that experience. I will be pushing 63 and my buddy nearly 60 so this is likely a one time hunt there considering how difficult it is to draw. We settled on hunt areas 8 or 27 as our best bet for drawing with the number of tags offered there and found some areas there that we felt had everything we needed and even slept on night with screaming bulls all around our roadside camp. We either saw, heard, or both saw and heard screaming bulls or herds of elk in several areas we looked at, found areas with much pressure to areas with little to no pressure. I no longer have a subscription to any of the apps that I had used to determine what areas to look into but would be interested to know where we stand as nonresidents with 15 points in 8 or 27 if anyone would be willing to tell me what it looks like for this year. I hear the point creep changes things yearly so maybe we are close, maybe not? Also if anyone has any good info on either 8 or 27 that you would be willing to share I would love to chat, DM me. After we complete our hunt I would be happy to share the info we have gained from our boots on the ground research to anyone willing to help me with any info that could help make my hunt a success as I know how long it takes to draw these tags for a non resident and I am not expecting to ever hunt elk in these spots again. I won’t give out the info on this open forum but in a personal DM we could chat, I don’t want to send a mob into any area to ruin a hunt for anyone else who also put in the time and effort to draw.

Live in az. 27 ia probably the roughest country in az but nothing compared to stuff in Colorado. Based on 2022 you would not draw 27 in the bonus pass with 15 points. 17 points was max for nonresidents. If you 100% want to draw in 2023 I think the best unit you had 100% odd in 2022 would be 5a. I have talked to the game warden about this unit for 2023 as the rifle hunt is before the archery hunt. He said lots of 300 inch bulls that you'd have to wade through through a 350 but they are there.

I think it all comes down to do you need to draw this year and if a 300 inch bull is good enough.

15pt average. So, I’d split that in to two years of hunting.

You’ve been satisfied with CO hunting for 25-30 years. Those two years in AZ might be the best elk hunting you’ve ever seen.

One bull elk tag in AZ elk camp has always been plenty of stress for me.

The OP averaged 14 points in 2022; not even 8 was 100% at his level.
This is correct but if less than 10 people with his point level or higher jump into unit 8 he would draw. Only 2 of 8 at his point level didn’t draw in the bonus pass last year.

Live in az. 27 ia probably the roughest country in az but nothing compared to stuff in Colorado. Based on 2022 you would not draw 27 in the bonus pass with 15 points. 17 points was max for nonresidents. If you 100% want to draw in 2023 I think the best unit you had 100% odd in 2022 would be 5a. I have talked to the game warden about this unit for 2023 as the rifle hunt is before the archery hunt. He said lots of 300 inch bulls that you'd have to wade through through a 350 but they are there.

I think it all comes down to do you need to draw this year and if a 300 inch bull is good enough.
5A sounds like a good unit, I wish I had scouted it but looking back at my notes I don’t see that we did. Seems odd that the rifle hunt would be before the archery and I don’t think it could be helpful to archery hunters having it that way. I appreciate the advice but it is probably smart for me to hunt one of the areas I have already spent some time scouting in as in both areas we have some level of confidence going in

This is correct but if less than 10 people with his point level or higher jump into unit 8 he would draw. Only 2 of 8 at his point level didn’t draw in the bonus pass last year.
Unfortunately my buddy and must have been in that group of 2 of 8

15pt average. So, I’d split that in to two years of hunting.

You’ve been satisfied with CO hunting for 25-30 years. Those two years in AZ might be the best elk hunting you’ve ever seen.

One bull elk tag in AZ elk camp has always been plenty of stress for me.
We have actually considered this, problem is I will be nearly 63 in Sep 2023 with an assortment of health issues, I’m probably not going to be able to keep climbing those mountains safely much longer. I can’t be sure there will even be a next year of elk hunting for me so if I want to get to hunt Az elk, I need to get to it while I still can.

5A sounds like a good unit, I wish I had scouted it but looking back at my notes I don’t see that we did. Seems odd that the rifle hunt would be before the archery and I don’t think it could be helpful to archery hunters having it that way. I appreciate the advice but it is probably smart for me to hunt one of the areas I have already spent some time scouting in as in both areas we have some level of confidence going in
There are only 24 tags for rifle and it kicks the bow hunt to the end of Sept and 1st week of Oct.

We have actually considered this, problem is I will be nearly 63 in Sep 2023 with an assortment of health issues, I’m probably not going to be able to keep climbing those mountains safely much longer. I can’t be sure there will even be a next year of elk hunting for me so if I want to get to hunt Az elk, I need to get to it while I still can.
a number of AZ elk hunts you could draw do not involve “ …climbing those mountains”. Lots of flat-ish terrain.

Consider you drawing this year and partner helping then reversing that next year. Twice as much fun and almost certain to get more bang for the buck (bonus points) by splitting the hunts up.

They put one rifle unit hunt before the archery hunt every year on a rotating basis. 2022 was 3b muzzleloader before the archery hunt. Been going on for years.

They put one rifle unit hunt before the archery hunt every year on a rotating basis. 2022 was 3b muzzleloader before the archery hunt. Been going on for years.

That would of been a epic hunt with what we saw there in the late season.

There are only 24 tags for rifle and it kicks the bow hunt to the end of Sept and 1st week of Oct.
Only 24 tags sounds better, still the bulls that are left would likely be on alert. I will try to keep an open mind on that though. I now wish I had put in some scouting time there

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back