Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

"Freedom's Safest Place" NRA Videos...have you guys seen these!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The typical left is about as far off on gun legislation as the NRA is in fear mongering. My gun owning parents bought into some of the media hype for more gun control until they realized that basically everything they would want to see enacted was already in place, it's just a matter of better enforcement. And with a constitution amendment already in place, it would take too much cooperation to ever change it.

I usually try to avoid comparing folks to Nazis, but I gotta say that Goebbels would have loved the phrase "clenched fist of truth." Whoo boy. I don't think the NRA has a monopoly on truth any more than anyone else. But fear is a motivator and they know how to turn the crank.

Pretty simple, since Trump won the election and the right is currently in control the NRA has to find a new way to drum up membership and donation money

Pretty simple, since Trump won the election and the right is currently in control the NRA has to find a new way to drum up membership and donation money

There's a huge untapped market out there for the NRA that they've denigrated and vilified, but I think they burned that bridge to the ground years ago. It also doesn't help that they've so staunchly entrenched themselves as being part of the problem. That is, it's possible to strongly believe in the right to own firearms AND acknowledge that this nation has a serious problem with gun violence. And the NRA rather than taking the longview that they could helpful in solving this problem has endeavored to perpetuate it.

I've personally found that it's pretty easy to change people's minds about guns, with two simple questions put to them in a friendly manner:

1. Have you ever fired a gun?

2. Want to try? I'll take you to the range.

I've changed two people's minds about guns that way. Granted, one of them was my youngest daughter, but the other was a lifetime friend who, like me, would be considered "liberal." She was hesitant, but I talked her into it. We went and she had a great time. She's never bought a gun, but her stance on them is now what anyone would call reasonable.

They (the NRA) doesn't need to turn their crank of fear, when looking at the states that many of us hunt talkers call home we have it very lucky, mt residents don't need a firearms license just to handle an 870 shotgun at a retailer, a ND resident doesn't need a ammo card to purchase ammo at scheels, we can even purchase more that one firearm in a month, and unbelievably there are weapons that more than a few of us own that are flat out illegal in some states, and when it comes to concealed carry why MT trusts me to carry but NY says no way, sorry for the rant but for the life of me I can't figure out why the 2nd amendment is treated like a 2nd class step child in a number of states. Just take a moment to think about the last time you heard a positive story in the main stream media regarding firearms, I know many of you seem to have a dislike for the NRA but they are one of very, very few organizations that are trying to stop the erosion of the 2nd amendment which is happening from the municipal and state level across our country. I just can't think of another amendment to our constitution that can vary as much as the 2nd between state lines and also city limits. A law abiding California residents 2nd amendment rights should be no different than a ND resident, after all we are law abiding American citizens.

Goodpoints, 1976. We all have our viewpoints based on where we live and you're giving me new insights on your frustrations. But I don't see much in that ad that is about the 2nd Amendment. It looks like it's about the Culture War to me. IMO the NRA can find a lot less inflammatory ways to address 2A issues, advance responsible gun ownership, particularly when its people are in power, but it chooses not to. Why is that?

I was starting to think the NRA was completely pointless until a few things happened:

1. National Guard going door-to-door and confiscating firearms. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kf8trl69kzo

2. NY limiting firearms to 10-round magazines.

The 2nd Amendment was put in place so that the People could fight the government at such time as the government ignores/infringes the other rights of the People laid out in the Constitution. I get what the OP is saying, and I don't agree with everything the NRA does or says, but they are the only organization big enough to push back against the gun grabbers.

If anyone is interested in 2nd amendment news please listen to Cam and company on NRA news, Cam does an outstanding job reporting on the happenings across the U.S and even abroad, he has the facts to back up what he is reporting and his guests are always intriguing for the most part, the good thing about the podcast is you can fast forward thru the NRA ads (LOL) it is a little long (3 hrs ) but it goes fast once your hooked, and believe it or not he is bipartisan as long as you support the 2nd amendment. Also Gun Talk with Tom Gresham is a good resource, he is right leaning but man its hard not to agree with him most of the time. Thanks and have a great 4th of july and get out and let some lead fly.

IMO the NRA can find a lot less inflammatory ways to address 2A issues, advance responsible gun ownership, particularly when its people are in power, but it chooses not to. Why is that?
My guess is that they have found this kind of advertising to be the most effective for recruitment. Regardless if you praise or hate the NRA, they have some smart guys working for them. They are consistently voted the most influential lobbying group in D.C. One just has to go back and read about the history of the NRA from where it started, to the Cincinnati Rebellion, and to what it is today.

I was starting to think the NRA was completely pointless until a few things happened:

1. National Guard going door-to-door and confiscating firearms. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kf8trl69kzo

2. NY limiting firearms to 10-round magazines.

The 2nd Amendment was put in place so that the People could fight the government at such time as the government ignores/infringes the other rights of the People laid out in the Constitution. I get what the OP is saying, and I don't agree with everything the NRA does or says, but they are the only organization big enough to push back against the gun grabbers.

I agree 100%. No organization has done more to defend our second amendment rights than the NRA. I'm a proud life member. Thanks for the info 1976. The gun grabbers use the same fear mongering tactics ...opposite viewpoints of course.

Agree that the NRA is very good at protecting the 2A, however, with this sensationalist bullshit they've been spewing lately, they are likely turning off folks who otherwise would be non-gun owners but not necessarily against guns/2A. Kinda like Busbice and his ilk for the image of hunting. In the long run, this crap could hurt the 2A. Just my $0.02.

When I was in my teens and twenties the Feds and the UN were "the enemy." Black helicopters were up to no good and Hungarian troops were hiding the Swan Range, ready to attack Kalispell I guess. Good old Wayne La Pierre got involved and said we needed guns to protect us from the government's jack-booted thugs. The paranoia was amusing until McVeigh and Nichols blew up the Oklahoma City Federal building. But even pictures of a fireman carrying a murdered baby couldn't get La Pierre to shut up. It wasn't until Bush publicly resigned his NRA life membership that Wayne was forced to lay low a while.

Maybe it is my age, but I'm not finding these new attacks on the press and (more than) half of our fellow Americans amusing this time. If you can't see the problems with the NRA suggesting arms are needed to protect us from the press and the left, then maybe you are too young to understand that this baseless venom will eventually have consequences. This isn't even about the 2A - it is a direct attack on those who don't support a political viewpoint. If this doesn't get you to tear up your membership, what will?

Goodpoints, 1976. We all have our viewpoints based on where we live and you're giving me new insights on your frustrations. But I don't see much in that ad that is about the 2nd Amendment. It looks like it's about the Culture War to me. IMO the NRA can find a lot less inflammatory ways to address 2A issues, advance responsible gun ownership, particularly when its people are in power, but it chooses not to. Why is that?

What Ben said. Maybe instead of spending money on broad, us vs them add campaigns, if the NRA REALLY wanted to stand up for 2nd Amendment rights for all U.S Citizens, they would be better off focusing add campaigns and lobbying power to provide education to communities mentioned by 1976 that have gun control laws more restrictive than the majority of other states.

When I was in my teens and twenties the Feds and the UN were "the enemy." Black helicopters were up to no good and Hungarian troops were hiding the Swan Range, ready to attack Kalispell I guess. Good old Wayne La Pierre got involved and said we needed guns to protect us from the government's jack-booted thugs. The paranoia was amusing until McVeigh and Nichols blew up the Oklahoma City Federal building. But even pictures of a fireman carrying a murdered baby couldn't get La Pierre to shut up. It wasn't until Bush publicly resigned his NRA life membership that Wayne was forced to lay low a while.

Maybe it is my age, but I'm not finding these new attacks on the press and (more than) half of our fellow Americans amusing this time. If you can't see the problems with the NRA suggesting arms are needed to protect us from the press and the left, then maybe you are too young to understand that this baseless venom will eventually have consequences. This isn't even about the 2A - it is a direct attack on those who don't support a political viewpoint. If this doesn't get you to tear up your membership, what will?

Thank you. Anyone who enjoys living in a democratic society should be disgusted by these adds. This is 100% against the foundations of what our country was built around. People do need to take this seriously, especially from a institution like the NRA, which as mentioned, stands up for a very real American right. That a American institution and lobbying force of this magnitude would produce this should be VERY concerning. It reeks of 2nd and 3rd World dictator propaganda.

I saw the after affects of what this commercial seems to be promoting in Serbia, they tore themselves apart because there leader chose to use a "us vs them" ideology against the people within their own borders. Seeing the brutalization done by both Christian Serbs and Alabanian Muslims to each other, and often to their own neighbors, is not sight I like to hold on too, nor wish to be repeated in my country.

Last edited:

I have read this before. Did you watch the video? National Guard troops were going door-to-door, detaining people, and confiscating their guns. This is exactly what a lot of people said "could never happen." It happened, it was filmed, and now it is poo-poo'ed or entirely denied.

National Guards (or at least their officers) vow to uphold the Constitution. In this case they did not fulfill that vow.

Thank you. Anyone who enjoys living in a democratic society should be disgusted by these adds. This is 100% against the foundations of what our country was built around. People do need to take this seriously, especially from a institution like the NRA, which as mentioned, stands up for a very real American right. That a American institution and lobbying force of this magnitude would produce this should be VERY concerning. It reeks of 2nd and 3rd World dictator propaganda.

I saw the after affects of what this commercial seems to be promoting in Serbia, they tore themselves apart because there leader chose to use a "us vs them" ideology against the people within their own borders. Seeing the brutalization done by both Christian Serbs and Alabanian Muslims to each other, and often to their own neighbors, is not sight I like to hold on too, nor wish to be repeated in my country.

"us vs them"? Every politician of every ilk uses that approach. I think you are reading too much into these ads. I don't like them either, but I am not seeing the cause for your alarm. The NRA is not the same as an elected official or a dictator.

Just watched the first video again. Not sure what's supposed to bother me about it.

Oh well maybe take the kids out shooting the AR's this weekend. Have a new AR pistol I need to sight in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back