"Freedom's Safest Place" NRA Videos...have you guys seen these!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where were the NRA "good guys with a gun" when San Bernardino, Colorado Springs, Roseburg, Chattanooga, Charleston, Isla Vista, Ft. Hood, Washington, D.C, Santa Monica, Newtown, Brookfield, etc. shootings were going on.

I can't speak to the other locales, but it's incredibly misinformed or disingenuous to include California cities on your list. Legislation has made it impossible for a good guy with a gun to exist. Illegal to open carry and near impossible to get a CWP in any of the urban counties.

I can't speak to the other locales, but it's incredibly misinformed or disingenuous to include California cities on your list. Legislation has made it impossible for a good guy with a gun to exist. Illegal to open carry and near impossible to get a CWP in any of the urban counties.

They had to leave their guns in their cars, if they even entered those places, because they were gun free zones.

FYI: There are over 70,000 Californians with Concealed Carry Permits including over 3200 in San Bernadino.

Schyler's post said the following:

Legislation has made it impossible for a good guy with a gun to exist.

My post was simply showing that there were in fact over 70K concealed carry holders in CA. I wasn't making a values statement. Nobody would argue that CA gun ownership is as liberal as it is most other states. But that's CA's issue. I support states rights, as former Justice Antonin Scalia did, when it comes to the 2nd amendment. But I'm a classic conservative like that.

]including over 3200 in San Bernadino.

San Bernadino Population = 2.2 million

3200/2,200,000 = 0.145%

So, Ben Lamb, you have a much better chance of drawing a Missouri River Breaks Sheep Tag than to encounter a concealed carry permit holder in San Bernadino.

Since you want to play word games, let me rephrase:

"Legislation has made it constructively impossible for the good guy with a gun to exist."

Schyler's post said the following:

My post was simply showing that there were in fact over 70K concealed carry holders in CA. I wasn't making a values statement. Nobody would argue that CA gun ownership is as liberal as it is most other states. But that's CA's issue. I support states rights, as former Justice Antonin Scalia did, when it comes to the 2nd amendment. But I'm a classic conservative like that.

The 2nd Amendment should apply to all Americans equally. Gun ownership wasn't left to the states to decide when the constitution was written. California needs to be reigned in on this issue. Maybe when enough Half-backs move to Montana you'll think differently?

I can agree with part of this, but I have to ask: Do you think a kid who is hungry (not starved or malnourished) will be more likely to lose focus in school? Do you think this will affect their academic performance, thus impacting what they do after school, and the career they have? I guess I am fine punishing lazy adults who leach off the system. I am not fine letting kids sit at school because they are hungry, but not quite to the point of being starved or malnourished.
It's irrelevant to my post about the post and not on topic so sorry I won't answer your question. Feel free to PM me.

Last edited:
San Bernadino Population = 2.2 million

3200/2,200,000 = 0.145%

So, Ben Lamb, you have a much better chance of drawing a Missouri River Breaks Sheep Tag than to encounter a concealed carry permit holder in San Bernadino.

Since you want to play word games, let me rephrase:

"Legislation has made it constructively impossible for the good guy with a gun to exist."

Closer. Specificity is important in any policy debate, unless you're simply going for the political spin.

Moreso, your statement should have read: "Because California acted constitutionally through exercising their state's rights by passing legislation at the state & local level making it difficult to obtain a concealed carry permit and also has restricted open carry, it is disingenuous to claim that there were no good guys with guns as many who would have opted for a concealed carry permit have been dissuaded to do so."

And I have no chance of drawing a tag. I can't even draw a doe antelope permit with 2 points in 60% area.

The 2nd Amendment should apply to all Americans equally. Gun ownership wasn't left to the states to decide when the constitution was written. California needs to be reigned in on this issue. Maybe when enough Half-backs move to Montana you'll think differently?

Conservative icon & 2nd Amendment scholar the late Antonin Scalia disagrees with you:

http://www.newsweek.com/antonin-sca...rt-orlando-shooting-newtown-sandy-hook-472460

Library of Congress on state rights as it relates to the 2nd: https://www.loc.gov/law/help/second-amendment.php

Some liberal rag that hated Scalia's well-reasoned Heller decision: http://bigthink.com/risk-reason-and...-did-not-grant-an-unlimited-right-to-own-guns

"Because California possibly acted constitutionally "

It's still an open Constitutional question whether 2A implies a right to carry outside the home. Just because that part has not been incorporated to the states does not mean the action is Constitutional per say.

Last edited:
It's still an open Constitutional question whether 2A implies a right to carry outside the home. Just because that part has not been incorporated to the states does not mean the action is Constitutional per say.

I can agree with that edit.

Conservative icon & 2nd Amendment scholar the late Antonin Scalia disagrees with you:

http://www.newsweek.com/antonin-sca...rt-orlando-shooting-newtown-sandy-hook-472460

Library of Congress on state rights as it relates to the 2nd: https://www.loc.gov/law/help/second-amendment.php

Some liberal rag that hated Scalia's well-reasoned Heller decision: http://bigthink.com/risk-reason-and...-did-not-grant-an-unlimited-right-to-own-guns

Thanks Ben, learned something new today.

Getting back on topic - I don't see the big issue with the first video. If was in charge of the NRA it wouldn't have been my first choice but they are a business and need to make money. I guess time will tell if it was a money maker or not. All people have biases that align with their beliefs. This runs deep in the society as will as in political circles and the hypocrisy is silly. They know that public opinion wins the day and selling a lie often wins. You see it all the time in the gun debate. Some big time reporter for CNN while debating a guy from NRA stated anyone without a criminal record could walk off the street into a gun store and walk out with a fully automatic AR-15. When the NRA person tried to correct him that in fact you can't, the CNN guy brushed him off and tried to play it off while trying to push his point that military style guns of war have no place in civilian.

That being said, both sides are guilty. The liberals take heat from the NRA because generally when gun control laws are proposed they are being proposed by Democrats.

I just want to point out that the things Scalia said are not precedential, just dicta. Dicta is

Opinions of a judge that do not embody the resolution or determination of the specific case before the court. Expressions in a court's opinion that go beyond the facts before the court and therefore are individual views of the author of the opinion and not binding in subsequent cases as legal precedent.

I did not realize that being a "dumb ass" was exclusive to party affiliation. Thanks for enlightening us.
Oh dear, a snowflake had his feelings hurt by my words. Maybe you should go back and read my posts and figure out why you should not be offended.

Once again I will be in the back-country for a few days so everyone behave.

Finally off the road for a month and I have time to start being more engaged in administration. The BS that goes on with these type of threads is ridiculous. Nobody's mind is changed, people act like they are back in 7th grade, and the overall tone of the forum is affected.

If this is the kind of worry people prefer to engage in as somehow being vital to the future of public land hunting and helping other hunters, my prediction is that we're screwed.

Locked. Don't be surprised if a lot of you no longer have working passwords by the end of the month.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back