Field Care of Turkeys?

For me, I have always brought out the entire bird intact, never gutting or breaking down in the field. That's the same way I handle all fowl, as I am usually a day tripper for birds.

I have thrown a whole turkey into a cooler with ice when I was a four hour drive from home, and processed it that night.

Steven Rinella normally shows himself gutting and plucking his birds. Gutting first, (keeping the heart, gizzard and liver, maybe mostly to make a point of using the ENTIRE bird) then hanging by the neck and plucking away. I am breasting out, removing thigh/leg quarters and discarding the carcass.

I live close to home, however, this can be done anywhere: 1. Hang upside down from the legs 2. "SKIN" the bird within the first 1/2 hour. They skin very easy when warm. This includes the breast area and the legs. 3. Use an sharp knife to filet out the breast while the bird is hanging. 4. Take the bird down and debone the meat off of the legs. 5. Remove heart and gizzard. 6. place meat on ice. NOTE: some people skip the legs.... I love the leg meat for turkey soup.

Very quick and easy to do it this way.

good luck to all
the dog

I have handled dead birds in every fashion. I prefer to get the bird cooled down as quickly as possible,so I gut right after it has been shot. Many times I pluck the bird immediately,easier when warm and I am a firm believer that getting the crop removed sooner than later maintains the quality of the breast meat. Rather leave a pile of feathers in the woods than cleaning up my garage.

I've killed a few turkeys and only one time did I gut it, hang it and pluck the feathers. The only reason I did that was specifically because I planned to freeze the bird and roast it for thanksgiving. However, as I learned, wild turkeys do not make the most appetizing looking roasted bird :p I now do what others above mention. I simply skin the bird out, filet out the breast meat, and cut out the thigh and legs quarters. I'll usually just grill a whole breast, or make sausage with it, and the leg quarters are great when slow-cooked until they are basically falling apart. When I take out the breast and legs like this, I do not gut the bird.

I gut, pluck and process right in the field, as i have to do with all my animals. My wife only allows dead animals in the house/garage if they are already in food form.

When you marry a ex-vegitarian who doesn't give you to much grief for disappearing on hunting trips, compromises must be made!

Plus, as for turkeys, i'd rather just leave all that mess in the field. less for me to clean up at home.

Try and get it cooled quickly and keep it dry. I prefer to dry pluck my birds, it's a shame to waste the skin IMO.

I thought of you, and knew I was gonna disappoint you with my regular regimen which does not use the skin in any way. I have gutted,plucked and roasted three young of the year fall birds. Pin feathers made that task really tedious. But the meal prepared from those birds is one my mom still raves about years later.

So when you skin a turkey, do you pluck it first or can you skin it with the feathers on? Are they easy to pluck?

Sorry for the hundred questions. I have a tag this year (which means I'll rack up a helluva kill count on ticks and mosquitoes), but I'd like to be prepared just in case I get lucky. I'd breast it out and keep the legs too.

Emrah

If it's under 60 deg a day intact doesn't hurt. Have done it a time or two. Usually gut in field pluck later though.

So when you skin a turkey, do you pluck it first or can you skin it with the feathers on? Are they easy to pluck?

Sorry for the hundred questions. I have a tag this year (which means I'll rack up a helluva kill count on ticks and mosquitoes), but I'd like to be prepared just in case I get lucky. I'd breast it out and keep the legs too.

Emrah

You leave the feathers on if you're skinning it minus a clump or two where you start an incision (and taking only breast and legs). Just like breasting a pheasant or duck. If you pluck it, don't skin it.

As the others have noted - a plucked skin-on bird is a FINE culinary experience, but a clean pluck job takes a damn long time. You can singe a lot of the downy stuff off at the end with a small blowtorch, but plan on spending a lot of time pulling pin feathers.

In banner years (>1 dead turkey), I will pluck the 2nd one and skin others. In good years (1 turkey), I go the skin and breast/thigh/leg route. In other years - well - it's hard to make a tag taste very good.

NEW Sitka Ambient 75

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juicer52
Back