Factory Ammo Recommendations

I'm using Barnes Vortex 165gn TTSX in my .300 Win Mag Tikka T3X and have been getting consistent less than 1/2" groups. It's certainly not the cheapest ammo but shoots exceptionally great.

I'm using Barnes Vortex 165gn TTSX in my .300 Win Mag Tikka T3X and have been getting consistent less than 1/2" groups. It's certainly not the cheapest ammo but shoots exceptionally great.

That's a great gun, great bullet and a great caliber, but .300 WinMag seems like overkill for antelope within 350yds.

It's not. mtmuley

Is your position (a) that anything that kills the 'lope quickly isn't "overkill" so shoot anything that is legal, (b) you can actually benefit from the extra power of a .300winmag in some way over the more common and lesser powered 25-06, .270, 7mm08, or .243, or (c) that .300 win mag isn't overkill, but somewhere along the progression of .338 winmag, .375 H&R, . . . . you do reach a cartridge that is?

The only times I consider a cartridge overkill are:

1) Causes excessive meat damage
2) Person can't shoot it accurately because of recoil
3) Prohibitively expensive to shoot

But, then again I now shoot a 6.5 Man Bun.

Is your position (a) that anything that kills the 'lope quickly isn't "overkill" so shoot anything that is legal, (b) you can actually benefit from the extra power of a .300winmag in some way over the more common and lesser powered 25-06, .270, 7mm08, or .243, or (c) that .300 win mag isn't overkill, but somewhere along the progression of .338 winmag, .375 H&R, . . . . you do reach a cartridge that is?

I hunt antelope with a .300 Ultra moving a 200 grain Accubond at 3200 fps. It's deadly. I see more justification for "underkill" on the Web than the opposite. So, no, I don't reach a cartridge that is. mtmuley

If it's windy I'll bring my .300 win mag for antelope pushing a 180 grain bullet. A well constructed bullet won't blow the meat all to hell. My normal rifle is a 25-06, but I won't shoot it if it's a little windy, whereas a .300 wm will punch through. So, no...a .300 wm isn't overkill for a lope.

As many others have mentioned it doenst take a lot for antelope. Find something accurate and you will be successful. That said I am a premium ammo guy for everything, much more consistent and forgiving as you spread out to longer ranges and bigger game. Cant go wrong with nosler options. The barnes ttsx would also be a great choice.

I have hunted deer many years with a 25-06. I have shot many animals with and tried a lot of different bullets. There is one load that is not on your list that is my go to hunting bullet. The 115 grain Nosler Partition. It has the perfect shock and penetration characteristics compared to any of bullets I have killed game with. Always a pass thru with incredible internal organ damage.

I have hunted deer many years with a 25-06. I have shot many animals with and tried a lot of different bullets. There is one load that is not on your list that is my go to hunting bullet. The 115 grain Nosler Partition. It has the perfect shock and penetration characteristics compared to any of bullets I have killed game with. Always a pass thru with incredible internal organ damage.

My impression (but could be wrong), was the for medium game accubonds have displaced partition as the crowd favorite. When it come to tougher/larger game some may still use partition, but even a lot of those have moved to accubond.

When I work up a new .308 for bear/moose partition is on the list.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaly24
Back