Dont worry about the student loan forgiveness

Status
Not open for further replies.
Keeping interest frozen but requiring payments to be made would have been a much better solution to provide relief while also encouraging responsible borrowing.

Tuition was already ridiculous given the “free money” anyone can get - this sucks for my kids.

- signed someone who kept making payments through the freeze and doesn’t qualify for relief.

I’m grateful that this thread has been allowed to continue, as it has really given me some new perspective on why this in particular sucks for so many people. It didn’t even cross my mind how insulting it would be for working folks who invested financially in their own businesses and careers that do not require degrees, yet contribute greatly to the vital operations of our country. I am already on track to receive loan forgiveness under PSLF, but when I heard about this new deal I just figured, well, our government is on a spending spree, better it go to American individuals than big corporations. I didn’t consider some of the BS ways that loan money was no doubt used by many people (with useless degrees and personal spending) because that is not how I used my own loan money.

I wanted to be a teacher, very much felt called to it, got the loans to get the degrees to become one, and have worked my ass off as a public middle school English teacher for the last 10 years and plan to for the next 20—because I love it. If I could go back and do it all over again, I would, with or without PSLF—because I love it. Being a (potential, at least) catalyst for kids to grow into thoughtful, engaged critical thinkers is an incredibly difficult and gratifying thing. But some of the perspectives and ideas shared in this thread have really made me reevaluate whether or not that is any more noble, important, or deserving of special help than a good electrician or plumber or heavy equipment operator. We’re all part of a giant, interconnected web, and I hate that something like this could add more breaks to that already fragile web.

Last edited:
I’m grateful that this thread has been allowed to continue, as it has really given me some new perspective on why this in particular sucks for so many people. It didn’t even cross my mind how insulting it would be for working folks who invested financially in their own businesses and careers that do not require degrees, yet contribute greatly to the vital operations of our country. I am already on track to receive loan forgiveness under PSLF, but when I heard about this new deal I just figured, well, our government is on a spending spree, better it go to American individuals than big corporations. I didn’t consider some of the BS ways that loan money was no doubt used by many people (with useless degrees and personal spending) because that is not how I used my own loan money.

I wanted to be a teacher, very much felt called to it, got the loans to get the degrees to become one, and have worked my ass off as a public middle school English teacher for the last 10 years and plan to for the next 20—because I love it. If I could go back and do it all over again, I would, with other without PSLF—because I love it. Being a (potential, at least) catalyst for kids to grow into thoughtful, engaged critical thinkers is an incredibly difficult and gratifying thing. But some of the perspectives and ideas shared in this thread have really made me reevaluate whether or not that is any more noble, important, or deserving of special help than a good electrician or plumber heavy equipment operator. We’re all part of a giant, interconnected web, and I hate that something like this could add more breaks to that already fragile web.

I was reading along thinking this guys alright, but middle school english? Shoot me lol. Wish you were my teacher we could of talked hunting at least. God I hated English class. I agree this thread gives a lot of good perspective on things I've never experienced. Your right about one thing we're all spokes in the wheel. We make it go around and those who don't benefit the most off our backs.🍻

Does anyone follow the White House's Twitter account? They've been releasing all the data about how much PPP loans have been forgiven for politicians. I believe the most I've seen is Congressman Vern Buchanan had over $2.3 million forgiven

Does anyone follow the White House's Twitter account? They've been releasing all the data about how much PPP loans have been forgiven for politicians. I believe the most I've seen is Congressman Vern Buchanan had over $2.3 million forgiven
anybody follow Canadian government officials twitter....I didn't think so STFU

Why? I am paying the loan of someone else. I don't like it. We have hashed over a lot of other shit on here. This makes some uncomfortable. Not surprising who. mtmuley
Succinct reply, I appreciate your clarity. The topic doesn't make me uncomfortable, nor does disagreement. I bet that is true for other posters here, we do hash over a lot. With few facts and many opinions in this thread, this much is clear: No minds were or will be changed.
If people had as much passion and energy for public lands and wildlife as they do for topics like this, we could make more progress together.

Succinct reply, I appreciate your clarity. The topic doesn't make me uncomfortable, nor does disagreement. I bet that is true for other posters here, we do hash over a lot. With few facts and many opinions in this thread, this much is clear: No minds were or will be changed.
If people had as much passion and energy for public lands and wildlife as they do for topics like this, we could make more progress together.
I think it's a small victory if after reading threads with widely diverging perspectives each reader can leave with an understanding of why someone might have a different opinion, and a realization that having that opinion doesn't make them an a-hole.

Dismantling us v. them partisanship one conversation at a time.

Spokes in the wheel. Dont like it change wheels. The border ain't far.
...and believe me, I have given it thought.

This is really great that I now get to help pay for YOUR college education that we couldn't afford for my kids. PAY IT BACK!! Why should others PAY FOR YOUR EDUCATION??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mowglimadness
Back