Dont worry about the student loan forgiveness

Status
Not open for further replies.
And the student loan deduction is income capped at $85k.

Imagine if we capped mortgage interest at an AGI of $85k people would lose their minds.
Whoa you introduced the Bible a few pages back and now you are bringing up mortgage interest deductions!?!? I love it!!!

Speaking of mortgage deductions, the limit is a mortgage of $750,000. How’s that not redistribution of wealth?

Speaking of mortgages, FHA mortgages are government secured and are therefore offered at interest rates and down payment percentages lower than a free market. How’s that not a handout? Why isn’t everyone pissed off about that? Probably because 95% of the mortgages held by this community are government secured? Why is a $600,000 mortgage deserving of 100% interest deduction but a $1m isn’t? Unless you are business, then there’s no limit and everything is deductible including a new F-350 with massaging leather seats to tow 2500lbs of lawnmowers.

What about Build Back America? Is anyone pissed that we are going to subsidize high speed internet to rural and low income communities to the tune of $65B (yes billion)?

What about the fact that we pay farmers in the Midwest billions to NOT plant crops on land that will produce 250 bushel corn so we can keep prices artificially high. While there are farmers in the desert SW irrigating 100 bushel corn crops despite water shortages and extreme droughts.

What about the fact that 57% of American house holds pay ZERO federal income tax? That makes student loan redistribution of wealth look like child’s play. How come we aren’t morally outraged and 20 pages deep on that one?

Point being the government spending is absolutely out of control and we as a people tend to be fine with it up until the point we don’t benefit from it. The problem isn’t the elected officials it’s the people doing the electing. We elect those that support our projects. Everyone wants everyone else’s government to shrink.

Congrats on the ‘bou WLLM. I expect a moose hero shot soon.

If you all need a break from this thread, I posted some meatball photos over in the recipe section. I’d love to get that over 3 pages so I’d appreciate your click handouts on that thread.

Also if you are feeling angst from this thread, check out the “Humour” and “Social Media” post threads. They are legendarily good.

Welcome to Hunt Talk.

I think the loan forgiveness is bogus, and it’s vote buying. I would prefer to pay my loans off ONE TIME AND BE DONE. Instead, I’ll likely be paying off other people’s loans for the rest of my life.

That said, we need some serious reform in the way we fund higher education, AND the way we prioritize higher education. I was in college for eight years, working toward two different degrees, and I left with almost $50k in student loan debt and NO DEGREE. Now certainly most the “no degree” part is on me. Furthermore, most of the debt part is on me as well. HOWEVER, our student loan system isn’t designed to make sure that our nation receives a proper education. It does nothing more than enrich our higher education institutions, with almost no return on the investment. Our institutions of higher education do not attempt to proved a service to their customer, and why would they? Their customers are not the ones signing the checks. When I was in college, the financial aid department was like a factory. There was a loooong line down the hall, with appointments, hall attendants, and when you entered the room with about 50 computers there were 5-10 other attendants to “help” and answer questions. I actually got hassled for taking too long when I was reading the MANY PAGED agreement that I had to “electronically sign”. Don’t get me wrong. I knew what I was doing taking out those loans. The university I went to was not a tier one university at the time. Honestly I don’t know what that means. What I do know is that they were trying really hard to get to tier one status, and that part of getting there was to have a “diverse” teaching staff. Half of my professors spoke English so poorly that I could not even tell what they said, at least a few times, in every lecture. Go ahead. Call me racist. I took a few classes at a local Christian university that received no state funding. Guess what? Roughly the same price. Guess what? Instead of 50-350 students in my class, I had 6. So what did all that state funding pay for? In my Finite Elemental Analysis class, before our major project, we watched a video where elementary students did a similar project and used a very expensive tensile testing machine to test their structures. Guess what? Our professor brought weight lifting plates from his house, and built a platform from plywood stack them on since we didn’t have access to a tensile testing machine. This is at a university with 30k students and state funding, and tbat has “technological” in the name. Now I’m fine with saving money and not buying a tensile testing machine that we don’t have to have. The question is, “what is all this money being spent on?”. I can tell you, the landscaping was impeccable, the Christmas lights were even better, and the leisure pool/lazy river that got installed at the Rec Center was very high class. I’m only covering 10% of my beefs with what I dealt with while I was there. I took a class where I had a B average on homework assignments, almost a 100% average on the tests, and didn’t study for the OPEN BOOK FINAL. I felt like I did fine. I received an F in the class. I emailed the professor at least three times asking for what grade I received on my final, and an explanation of my grade. I NEVER RECEIVED A RESPONSE. When I left to work full time in the oil field so that I could support my wife while she completed her college education, that institution sent a bill collector after me to pay for a semester of school that I had dropped, and did not owe any many for. I had to provide a significant amount of paperwork, and get a dean’s signature to “prove” that I didn’t owe any money. Wanna know where the hiccup was? I RECEIVED A PASSING GRADE in a class I had NEVER SET FOOT IN!!!! When I provided the required paperwork can you guess what the dean said to me? He said “If you want, I can issue you a back dated refund only for the classes you failed, and you can pay for the class that you got a B+ in, and then, if you come back to school, you won’t have to take that class”. Are you kidding me? This guy practically made me swear on the Bible and all of my unborn children that I had dropped out and never attended ANY of these classes, then provide documentation from my employer and prove that I had been paid to work full time during the time in question, and now that he’s convinced I had dropped those classes and didn’t owe any money he’s offering to sell me a B+?

I’m against the student load forgiveness. I’m also against the current system of government backed loans being Hoover’ed up by money hungry universities that AREN’T BEHOLDEN TO THE CUSTOMER.

My younger brother learned from me and graduated debt free WHILE WORKING LESS AND FOCUSING ON SCHOOL MORE, and by going to college somewhere cheaper and less flashy.

While I am fascinated by the variety and # of opinions in this post, it strikes me that this is a more instantly popular topic than public land issues, corner crossing, conservation, game management, even pickups and sausage.

View attachment 235814
Why? I am paying the loan of someone else. I don't like it. We have hashed over a lot of other shit on here. This makes some uncomfortable. Not surprising who. mtmuley

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back