Caribou Gear Tarp

Do you hold out?

Do you hold out for your goal?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BiggWimm

I recently completed 17 days of archery hunting in a LE unit in Utah. While I saw many bulls, stalked many bulls, and could've shot many smaller bulls, I came home empty. I had a goal to get a 350+ bull due to the nature of it being an LE hunt. My wife is also pregnant with our first child, so I thought that this may be my last chance to dedicate some serious hunt time to getting a large bull for a while. Normally, I hunt general archery areas and shoot the first legal animal to fill the freezer, so this was out of the norm for me.

My question here is, how many would hold out for a goal and how many would shoot a smaller bull than the goal, with the season dwindling? :confused:

I'm very selective the first 4 weeks of the season. At least that's what I tell my wife.

I recently completed 17 days of archery hunting in a LE unit in Utah. While I saw many bulls, stalked many bulls, and could've shot many smaller bulls, I came home empty. I had a goal to get a 350+ bull due to the nature of it being an LE hunt. My wife is also pregnant with our first child, so I thought that this may be my last chance to dedicate some serious hunt time to getting a large bull for a while. Normally, I hunt general archery areas and shoot the first legal animal to fill the freezer, so this was out of the norm for me.

My question here is, how many would hold out for a goal and how many would shoot a smaller bull than the goal, with the season dwindling? :confused:
Without a doubt if you are doing your job as a father especially a new one your hunting time will deminish greatly.With that being said,being a seasoned elk hunter unlike myself you have killed many bulls I would expect.A 350 class bull is a very high bar you set for yourself and I commend you for sticking to your guns. I personally have never killed a bull let alone any elk so the first 280 to 300 class bull I see...Loose!. If you like what you see and your happy despite what anyone else thinks....shoot and dont think twice......:cool:

Well, you are the only one who could decide if you would be happy with what you shoot. But, you won't shoot one next week thats 350+ if you shoot a 290 bull today;) Thats a fact Jack....

Well, you are the only one who could decide if you would be happy with what you shoot. But, you won't shoot one next week thats 350+ if you shoot a 290 bull today;) Thats a fact Jack....

He won't anyway. The season is over. He is not from Montana with 10 freaking weeks;)

I've foolishly passed on antelope, deer, and elk that I wish now I would have shot. This year I decided the first legal animal (excluding immature animals) would be an excellent trophy if shot with my bow. I will remain picky when it comes to deer while rifle hunting.

Don't mind Dink. Your statement just hit a little too close to home. ;)

My willpower starts out really strong then if I don't shoot something after the first few weeks, it starts to dwindle and I get blood-thirsty.

That's why it's nice to be packing an extra Elk B tag in my pocket to take the edge off. :)

My willpower starts out really strong then if I don't shoot something after the first few weeks, it starts to dwindle and I get blood-thirsty.

That's why it's nice to be packing an extra Elk B tag in my pocket to take the edge off. :)

I need to start doing that, I held off on a few cows last year and ended up regretting it...

so the first 280 to 300 class bull I see...Loose!. Long Island Yank

Yank, the first 280 you reticle or pin will look like crittergitter's 400 to ya....so will a 250.:eek:

Depends on species and what I've killed before. I have 8 utah elk points and I'm waiting for either muzzy or rifle for that le tag. When that time comes I'm going to wait for 340+, even if it's the last night. Here in mt, any legal bull gets an arrow on the general hunt. I drew 798-20 this year so I'm holding out too. Easy to wait in mt because the seasons are like 4-5 times longer.

Keep your standards low and dissapointment will not be so great.

My standard is... if it looks good to me I shoot it.

This season the fam has 5 tags so I think i'll be a little selective. Depends on where i'm hunting most of the time. Like others already stated, you have to raise or lower your standards, depending on the situation...kinda like being at a bar!

That was my thought exactly, on this hunt.

My standard is... if it looks good to me I shoot it.

That is my typical attitude, definitely reverting back to it for a while.

He won't anyway. The season is over. He is not from Montana with 10 freaking weeks

True that.

Back