Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

DIY Colorado elk gun hunt help

lakedelavan

Hello everybody I am planning on taking my son on a gun elk hunt in colorado. We are going to just buy an OTC either sex tag and we are looking at white river national forest . we are also looking at more of units 24 or 25 around the flat tops wilderness area. He is not looking for a monster bull just a bull to shoot. We are planning on leaving a few days early to scout and my questions was if anybody has any success stories for these units or around here. Any input would be truly helpful if you would rather post a reply or PM me it would be great. Thanks.

Last year was my first elk hunt. I joined a camp in 25/26 just a bit away from the FTs also in the wlderness. Had a great hunt and shot a bull. Like you mentioned, not a monster, but great for me. Here are some pics. My buddy also got a bull and a cow. This took us the first three days of season. However, my buddy had scouted earlier and hunted the area for +-10years. We go up 3 days early to get the camp we wanted and cut firewood. I would encourage you to go as early as possible. Also, check the Hunters Almanac on the CPW website and call the hunt planners/biologists toget tips for the exact area you are lookling at. Best of luck, you will love te experience. The pic where I have ablack shirt on ismy buddy's bull. Thy were shot within a hundred yards of each other.

Attachments

• Antler mount 2.jpg
    Antler mount 2.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 1,819
  • My buddy's bull.jpg
    My buddy's bull.jpg
    246.9 KB · Views: 1,777
  • Our camp.jpg
    Our camp.jpg
    308.9 KB · Views: 1,804
  • Ivory 2.jpg
    Ivory 2.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 1,823
  • meat pole.jpg
    meat pole.jpg
    272.8 KB · Views: 1,771
  • GEDC0510 2.jpg
    GEDC0510 2.jpg
    296.1 KB · Views: 1,886
  • Antler mount.jpg
    Antler mount.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 1,867
It was an awesome time....lakedelavan, if you do your home work and set up a good camp you will have a great time regardless of an actual havest. From where our camp is (the edge of the wilderness) we go in between 1.5 and 4 miles. Our three elk were in a meadow up and over a ridge about 2 miles from camp. Thepack out definitely made us feel like we earned them and made the meat taste that much better!! Have you ever been out in the "big woods" before? Make sure you are pepared and it is addictive!!

no i have never been there. From what i have heard from others and planing on doing is getting away from all the atv and vehicle traffic and going to the wilderness zone and hiking in a couple miles to set up camp. Since i don't have 4wd i really can't drive much so i plan on parking at a campsite near a trail head so i can walk into the wilderness zone such as by marvine trail or trappers lake and hike in a couple miles and camp there and hunt around. What season did you hunt.

lakedelavan, If you park at a trailhead (Where most park) and hike in a couple miles(About how far most do) expect to have alot of company. See if you can find spots on the map that will allow you to let everyone else push elk to you.

also i have another question there are two places i am looking at within the area, and i need some help. Which would be a better option for the 2nd rifle season. There is land that is lower in elevation (8000-9000ft) which is lots of timber and creeks and little lakes or higher elevation (10000-12000) which has less timber and more open land with larger lakes in them. Thanks

are you going alone??If so, 5-6 miles in those mountains is a big undertaking if you kill a bull,and have to get it all out yourself.I've hunted less then 3 miles in by myself and never saw another hunter 2 years in a row in Co,but this was archery.Weather and pressure will determine if you want to be high or low.As was said,let the other guys move the elk to you.to figure that out may take a year or two or some luck and good map reading skills

well i plan on hunting 5-6 miles in. is this the normal range of how far people go.

If you go 5 or 6 miles in the right direction you will almost make it to one of the''Small Cities'' that are outfitter camps.;)
Prepare for and expect snow.
Stay mobile,so when you're seeing more people then game you can react.
Have fun and good luck to you. Let us know how it went.

If you can drop off in a canyon, or hike up along a steep-walled timbered drainage with no horse/hiking trails you should get into elk. You don't have to go that far either, I've seen them use areas really close to FS roads in Colorado as long as it was difficult access. After a couple days elk will start showing up for hiding areas. After dark they will move around in the aspen pockets and parks, but by daylight they will be back in the steep stuff. I have never hunted in 24/25, but enjoy your trip.

if you want to kill a elk you have to go were nobody else would go. that could be 2 miles off the road. If the country is step and rugged not to many people go there. That's were you'll find the elk.

unit 25 drop camp trip

I hunted unit 25 in the flat tops in 2008, it was my first CO wilderness hunt. We did a drop camp there and rode in on horse back. In regards to your question on altitude, there were two camps: base camp at 9k ft and our camp in the alpine at 10.5k ft. We were there third season and when we arrived it was warm. The elk were up top with us and were there even when the weather came in. Got a bull opening morning catching him coming back up to the top where he must have been feeding down the canyon a bit in the steep stuff. The elk were around and then it snowed ~20 inches. The elk did not start to move down until that snow piled up. We ran into guys hunting from 9k ft up to us as they were not seeing anything low. If the weather is nice they will be 10-11 ft + if you get snow you might see them at 9k ft, in general. We were near elk knob using the sweetwater drainage to travel to that point. I have not hunted any further north of that. I suggest you hunt the flat, alpine areas, assuming you are seeing sign, especially if the weather is nice. Guys were able to drive to that ~9kft base camp, but if you get weather up there be careful it can get deep fast. I include pic of my bull, the ascent, the decent, after snow, we had a great trip. Good luck and hunt hard.

Attachments

• Jason Elk Hunt 08.jpg
    Jason Elk Hunt 08.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 1,442
  • elk hunt 2008 010.jpg
    elk hunt 2008 010.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 1,404
  • elk hunt 2008 037.jpg
    elk hunt 2008 037.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 1,452
Caribou Gear

Forum statistics