Deer - lets see em

I guess I'll give the whole story. That's the Yellowstone River. I shot this buck on Thanksgiving night when the temp was well below 0°, but when I started to track him, I could tell he hadn't gone down quickly, and there wasn't snow in the forecast, so I came back the next morning.

Where I'd shot him was on a cornfield along the Yellowstone. The next morning, I picked up the blood trail and began following him. I followed him for a ways, found a couple of places where he'd bedded down throughout the night, but he'd always gotten back up. He was going through a narrow corridor between the river on his lift and an open field on his right. I was finding blood every few feet. After about 1/4 of a mile, the track suddenly disappeared. First I continued on in the direction he was going thinking I'd pick the blood trail back up. No dice. Then I thought maybe he'd doubled back, so I went back the direction I came from hoping to pick up a second blood trail. Still no dice. Finally, I went back to the spot I'd lost the trail. He'd kind of gone around in circles right there, and I kept looking around, but couldn't find anything. I was at a total loss, when I looked to my left, saw the frozen river, and thought, "surely he didn't cross the river." I went to the ledge, looked out and saw nothing. Then I looked straight down.

Turns out, when he got near the end, it looks like he started getting delirious (hence the going around in circles), and got a little too close to the edge.

The river was frozen, but not that frozen. There was no way I was going down there. And it was about a 10-12' drop straight down to the river anyway. I tried calling a buddy to help me get him out, but he was out of town. So I got a rope and a come-along. I got the rope around an antler, chained the come-along to a tree, and hoisted him out of there. Of course, his antlers quickly dug right into the bank, so it was a tedious process of lifting him a few inches with the come-along, then running back and getting him turned right so he wouldn't get caught in the bank. Took a couple of hours to move him twelve feet...

2013 MT Public Land Deer

Me and the old man. Long and awesome hunt!

Attachments

• IMGP4762 (800x600).jpg
    IMGP4762 (800x600).jpg
    316.1 KB · Views: 1,688
  • IMGP4795 (800x600).jpg
    IMGP4795 (800x600).jpg
    406.8 KB · Views: 1,723
Arrowed this buck on December 27th (2013) in the Sonoran Desert of Arizona. Nothing special (25" wide 3x4 with eye guards), but a decent desert mule deer on a tag about to expire:

hf4f.jpg

Five days later (2014 tag) I arrowed this heavy 24" main-frame 3x4 with cheaters making him a 6x5. Couldn't pass him up at 25 yards!

dxjn.jpg

n07t.jpg

My best Wyoming and Idaho mule deer (2011 and 2007), and my best Montana whitetail (2012). The Idaho buck was a double drop tine but both were busted off at the main beam.

Attachments

• P1011575.jpg
    P1011575.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 1,527
  • P1010855.jpg
    P1010855.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 1,582
  • 100_3193.jpg
    100_3193.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 1,509
Wyoming 2013

Public Land DIY Mulie. Killed this one after passing a stalk opportunity on him that morning. Decided to go find him so I could free up a couple extra days for the girls later in the year. 29 7/8 outside. 18 yards above him when he stood up to stretch.;)
04.jpg
06.jpg

Paige's first deer hunt. She passed this buck on day 1.
5.jpg

Harvested this one the last 30 minutes of her last day to hunt after a big climb to catch up with them.
13.jpg
15.jpg
16.jpg

And a couple whitetail does later in the year.
2.jpg
3.jpg

-Cade

This is my buck taken last week at the Chaparral WMA public land draw hunt in Texas. Got the tag after applying for 14 years, and then screwed up and took the wrong buck. Saw quite a few that were much better, later in the hunt when all I could take was a cull.:rolleyes:

2013 Whitetail

My Whitetail buck and doe this past year in Montana. Also filled my Mule Deer B tag an hour later. If you want to see my story about the day we filled the freezer, here is the link. To say the least, my BBQ has been happy the past few months!

20131123_093522_1-1.jpg

Not bad for a mans first hunt ever! My friend Matthew smith got this 9 opening morning of Rifle... Knott County, KY!

Attachments

• matt smith.jpg
    matt smith.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 2,277
First and only mule deer, Colorado 2012...

Whitetail from 2013.. Need to scan in some older whitetail pics.

2013 late season archery buck

2013 Archery buck, was a hard hunt full moon 50 degree heat in december kept the big boys out at night.Happy with a 17 yd shot on any deer.

Attachments

• 2013 deer.JPG
    2013 deer.JPG
    190.9 KB · Views: 2,150
Back