Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Colorado Fishing License Option?

npaden

I'm scratching my head and struggling to remember the deal on this.

A few years back wasn't there a deal where you had to buy a fishing license and then you didn't have to pay for points or something like that?

I can't seem to find anything on it anymore?

Anyone remember this?

Thanks, Nathan

If you have a 2016 fishing license, you don't have to pay the $40 fee per preference point. It's only an advantage if you are applying for more than one species. Last Friday was the last day to purchase a 2016 fishing license, I believe (they are valid (April 1-March 31).

Ah.. I think I forgot to buy the fishing license last year. Odd that it doesn't work that you can buy a fishing license for the current year instead.

With 4 apps it looks like that mistake is going to cost me a bill.

Ooops. I guess if I applied for a Mountain Goat and Bighorn sheep last year it included a fishing license? I guess I shouldn't have bought one this year.

LOL. Nothing like doing things last minute and in the wrong order. 16 callers on the line in front of me at CPW to see if I can get a refund of the fishing license I just bought.

Nope. Turns out that I did screw up for last year. You need to buy the fishing license if you don't get drawn for the Mountain Goat or Sheep tag. You only get a fishing license if you get drawn for those.

So if you don't want to have to pay the $40 per species preference point you have to buy a fishing license if you aren't drawn. I guess I will end up with 2 fishing licenses for 2017 if I draw a sheep or goat tag but I'll be willing to deal with that if it happens.

I will be happy when everything goes online for nonresidents next year.

I am thinking last years goat and bighorn only count if you bought the license. If you only applied you were refunded everything except the $10 habitat stamp an $3 application fee. The fishing license you bought for 2017 would benefit you for your 2018 applications if you end up not purchasing any other licenses in 2017.

I did the same thing last year. How convenient I bet COP&W pull in some serious coin in those four days between license deadline and app deadline. Now I buy my fishing license a year in advance, so I won't forget.

If I remember correctly selling the extra fishing licenses gets them a larger % of Federal money. Wyoming and Montana don't give you a choice on their elk licenses for nonresidents, you automatically get the fishing license no matter what. I just need to make a note in my application spreadsheet that I need to buy a fishing license each year.

If I remember correctly selling the extra fishing licenses gets them a larger % of Federal money. Wyoming and Montana don't give you a choice on their elk licenses for nonresidents, you automatically get the fishing license no matter what. I just need to make a note in my application spreadsheet that I need to buy a fishing license each year.

Yep, a state's cut of the Pittman-Robertson funds is tied back to hunting as well as fishing licenses sold by the state.

Back