Alaska Fishing trip

CForest

So our 10yr wedding anniversary is next summer, and one of the things both my wife and I have always talked about doing someday is head to Alaska on a fishing trip and thinking maybe now is the time. Obviously Google provides hundreds of options, and honestly don't even know where to begin on thinning them out.

Wondering if anyone has recommendations???

I am thinking a halibut/salmon combo deal would be pretty sweet. Something like 3-4 days of fishing and maybe an extra day or two for sightseeing.
Would be traveling from eastern Montana, and would also be our first trip to AK. So preferably a destination that's relatively easy to fly into and not have take 6 puddle jumpers to get there ha. As fun as that could be I'd rather like to make the first trip fairly simple logistically.

Thanks for any tips/tricks/suggestions!!

Do you have any budget in mind? Remote lodge or marina based? @Bambistew is the resident expert here. You may want more sightseeing time once you see Alaska in person!

Do you have any budget in mind? Remote lodge or marina based? @Bambistew is the resident expert here. You may want more sightseeing time once you see Alaska in person!
I guess I don't really know what to expect cost wise. I'm generally a best bang for buck type of guy.
Maybe something like 3-4k for the fishing trip itself plus flights and whatever else we do while we are there??
Don't want it to get too out of hand but want to make it worth while too.

I would honestly look at going to Kodiak or Dillingham/King Salmon area. Doubt you could do either for $4k all in, maybe 5 days for $3500-4k pp, but its super cool, and has fantastic fishing for everything.

There is a 100 ways to skin that cat. You can go cheap, and it won't be as much fun, IMO. Cheap would be... rent a house on the Kenia, go on a couple charter salmon fishing trips, and a halibut trip or two. Could fish on your own a few days. I wouldn't' want to pack in too much in a week, stick to one area.

Timing also matters depending on where or what you want to fish.

I would honestly look at going to Kodiak or Dillingham/King Salmon area. Doubt you could do either for $4k all in, maybe 5 days for $3500-4k pp, but its super cool, and has fantastic fishing for everything.

There is a 100 ways to skin that cat. You can go cheap, and it won't be as much fun, IMO. Cheap would be... rent a house on the Kenia, go on a couple charter salmon fishing trips, and a halibut trip or two. Could fish on your own a few days. I wouldn't' want to pack in too much in a week, stick to one area.

Timing also matters depending on where or what you want to fish.
I'm certainly not stuck on any specific spot. I'm sure it's all awesome so whatever the best option is.
Good point on the timing, will have to be towards the end of June or first part of July.

Definitely don't want to just rent a hotel room and jump on a boat for 6 hours. Looking for more of a cabin and "fishing trip" type of a deal. Not sure how to explain it. Doesn't need to be a super remote or drop camp type thing either, but it is alaska, so want it to be a bit of adventure. All for flying into a bigger city then renting a vehicle to drive for a few hours to get to destination if that was needed

I'm certainly not stuck on any specific spot. I'm sure it's all awesome so whatever the best option is.
Good point on the timing, will have to be towards the end of June or first part of July.

Definitely don't want to just rent a hotel room and jump on a boat for 6 hours. Looking for more of a cabin and "fishing trip" type of a deal. Not sure how to explain it. Doesn't need to be a super remote or drop camp type thing either, but it is alaska, so want it to be a bit of adventure. All for flying into a bigger city then renting a vehicle to drive for a few hours to get to destination if that was needed
I think but can’t say for certain but you would more than likely be fishing kings at that time of year. Others would know better but my experiences with the outfitter I went with was king fishing has been pretty crummy that past few years

I think but can’t say for certain but you would more than likely be fishing kings at that time of year. Others would know better but my experiences with the outfitter I went with was king fishing has been pretty crummy that past few years
That's good to know I will look more into that. That is partially why I want it to be a multi species trip, helps the odds of one of them being good

I agree with Bambistew and The tone. Caught my first king out of the Kenai in 1961. Fished Alaska every year since. Retired last year from a 20 year guiding career. Except for the hatchery kings in South East Ak. Kings are in trouble all over Alaska. My home river, the Naknek in King Salmon still has a fishery but the 30 fish days are long gone. Three fish would be a good day.
The Sockeye fishing keeps getting better. Not only are they exceeding the escape numbers the run is starting a little earlier than it used to and lasting at least a week longer. MY opinion it’s much more fun to fish for sockeye with a fly rod and, again my opinion, They eat better.
There are numerous reasons to head to Bristol bay, most notably is the quality of the fishing and the opportunity for great adventure. Most of the lodges out there bring you in on Sunday via Alaska Air and send you home on Saturday with your vacuumed sealed and frozen fish.
In my opinion a perfect trip would be fishing the river for a couple of days, Target the Sockeye if you stick with your time frame. Take a day to go up to Katmai National park to see the bears on the falls and then for excitement, fish the Brooks river while the bears are napping. Take another float plane trip and fish Battle Creek or American creek for football shaped leopard rainbows. Finish with yet an again a fly out to my favorite streams Cabin or Featherly creek and catch 100 char and grayling. Yes you will be dancing with bears.
No halibut fishing out there at this time but some folks are thinking about it.
I would go up around the 15th of July based on your plan.
I think the very best time is mid to late August. You would be fishing silvers then but the trout fishing, particularly in the small streams, is off the charts.
You’ll spend more than you would fishing off the road system but by the time you figure food, lodging, charters, fish processing and a rental car it’s not that much more.
In any event have a great trip but give yourself at least a full week after you leave Anchorage.

Attachments

• IMG_5614.jpeg
    IMG_5614.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG_5598.jpeg
    IMG_5598.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 27
  • IMG_5593.jpeg
    IMG_5593.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 27
  • IMG_5568.jpeg
    IMG_5568.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 31
  • IMG_5502.jpeg
    IMG_5502.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 32
  • IMG_5302.jpeg
    IMG_5302.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 32
  • IMG_5271.jpeg
    IMG_5271.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 29
  • image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    136.5 KB · Views: 29
you could plan to fish out of Homer and do both halibut and trolling for Kings for a couple days (and silvers in later summer.) Bunch of options up here. i can recommend a couple charters if you want me to direct message you.

Alaska fish and game publishes weekly fishing reports and most notably emergency closers. They send it right to your Email. This will give you a good Idea what is going on in the different regions. As to weather, I think my worst summer was 86 days in a row it rained. Also had a few we were praying for some rain to cool things down. Visitor days are off the charts now so you’ll want to be ready to book by late fall, certainly first of the year if you can. Particularly if you decide to go out to Bristol Bay. Most of our groups were penciled in for the next year and we would call them when we got back from elk hunting in the fall. By the time the sport shows started the only slots we had left were cancelations due to shot-gun weddings.

Last edited:
you could plan to fish out of Homer and do both halibut and trolling for Kings for a couple days (and silvers in later summer.) Bunch of options up here. i can recommend a couple charters if you want me to direct message you.
That'd be great thanks

Alaska fish and game publishes weekly fishing reports and most notably emergency closers. They send it right to your Email. This will give you a good Idea what is going on in the different regions. As to weather, I think my worst summer was 86 days in a row it rained. Also had a few we were praying for some rain to cool things down. Visitor days are off the charts now so you’ll want to be ready to book by late fall, certainly first of the year if you can. Particularly if you decide to go out to Bristol Bay. Most of our groups were penciled in for the next year and we would call them when we got back from elk hunting in the fall. By the time the sport shows started the only slots we had left were cancelations due to shot-gun weddings.
I plan on booking later this summer/ early fall. Figured I'd need to be at least 9 months in advance

Following; my dad has talked about fishing in Alaska for a while now and at 77, I think I need to make this happen sooner rather than later for him

We went twice. Once from Homer marina and once was a beach launch from Ninilchik. THAT was very weather dependent if the surf was too high or not. We had to postpone a day due to wave height. But I think the Halibut were a bit bigger than out of Homer. It may depend on the time of year as well. One charter let us keep non-targetted fish and the other didn't. A Salmon/Halibut combo will run $350-400 per person. Seward is an option and @Bambistew posted in the past about what and when to catch there. A search should find a couple other threads about the fishing.

Sightseeing tip! If you get your fishing done and everything processed for the flight home, 10th&M Seafood in Anchorage will store your fish boxes in their freezer for a small fee. Then you can explore without worrying about keeping your stuff frozen.

Following, I've been thinking of something to do for the 40th and this might be the ticket. If I could get a few days of good fishing in, bring home at least 20 pounds of fish and do some sight seeing, I'd be happy. Even just riding in a large boat is a big deal for this desert cat, so I'm a pretty cheap date haha. Keep updating @CForest ! Curious how this shakes out for you

depends on what you are looking for. If you are looking for really good accommodations and food, with excellent staff, boats and scenery then Sportsman Cove Lodge is excellent. i have been there 5 or 6 times. The fishing is good but not great. Better fishing elsewhere. Yes you will catch lots of fish but its more about the experience.

Just me 2 cents.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back