CO Leftover License List

So what's the deal with the guys who have drawn tags in the regular draw but ended up buying one of these leftover/returned tags? Do they risk it and return the tag they drew before they try and pick up a better quality returned tag? Or are they allowed to keep their draw tag, purchase a returned tag, and then return the original draw tag so to not risk losing their original draw tag incase they don't pick one up?

I understood it to be that if the license was on the leftover list, it automatically became a type B. So you could keep your draw tag and buy it on leftovers even though it might be the same tag you drew. Right?

I understood it to be that if the license was on the leftover list, it automatically became a type B. So you could keep your draw tag and buy it on leftovers even though it might be the same tag you drew. Right?

No, they don't change status at all.

Here's my leftover day story. I've posted this elsewhere and was really surprised to get feedback to the tune of "This is normal, stop whining." If we just accept the status quo, why expect change?

I was very glad to see the online list updating every 5 minutes. Saved a lot of people a lot of time.

The second two people in line at the Walmart we went to this morning were a couple. Each was carrying a binder containing a photocopy of a person's license and hunter's education. They were buying tags for other people. After 50 minutes of those two occupying the counter, printing dozens of tags, we gave up and went to Big 5 (would have gone here first, but they usually open at 10am) and were 3rd in line. My wife got a leftover doe tag.

Oh, and there was a very lucky guy at Big 5 who pulled one of the 61 O1A tags. The employee said he thought the guy was going to pass out from excitement.

No, this year was NOT the same as every year in the past, with the addition of the Re-issue tags. Making those tags available again is a great step forward, thank you CPW. Since my wife and I drew A list tags for almost everything, I wasn't really involved in trying to get one of those re-issues, more interested in what would happen.

I fully support being able to buy a license for a family member. If I had a less flexible schedule and I "needed" one of those leftover tags, I would hope my wife could try to get a license for me. However, it does not seem right that one person can wait in line in place of dozens. The person in line behind those two thought they were in 4th position and probably thought they had a realistic chance to buy a tag. Instead, the reality of it was there were dozens of invisible people in front of him.

This is something that could easily change. There are lots of reasonable compromises here.

Personally, if they are going to keep it "First Come First Served" (which was not even the case everywhere), I believe it should be one tag purchase per person, then back to the end of the line. This distributes the leftovers nicely, instead of allowing the first person in line to buy 3-7 licenses for themselves, then who knows how many for other people.

Now, if we really want to move forward, there are a hundred ways this could be done via the internet. I think a "short draw" makes a lot of sense. I am a software engineer and I seriously think this could be done in a matter of hours. I envision the system working like this:

1.) Day 1, The leftover/reissue list is posted. You have 24 hours to get your requests in. This could be done by someone else, just like the normal draws.
2.) Day 2, A draw is executed, tags are awarded, and the whole process repeats for day 3.
3.) Pick up your tag at a local vendor, like it was a re-print. These tags are NOT MAILED.
4.) The day before the season opens, any tags for that season can be bought OTC.

The whole thing is automated. They could hold your money just like they do for the normal leftover draw. You are responsible for your own mistakes in the leftover draw (no code changes, unlike the first draw). Don't have access to the web? Visit a local CPW office and have them enter it.

I like the way you think vanish

I think the rules are made using common sense, but any wiggle room on what others would see as "fair" are exploited by some.

Well, I turned the tables today!

I wasn't able to get one of the premium pronghorn tags, but I was able to get a reissue tag for the pronghorn buck tag that I failed to draw initially this year! We've hunted this unit several times and have it figured out. To make things even better, my wife got a reissue doe tag for the same hunt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back