Not on Your Bucket List

WIbiggame

A great thread started about a sheep hunt got me thinking, we all talk about "Bucket List" hunts; but, what is 1 or 2 animals that aren't on your bucket list of animals to chase?

My 2 animals at the top, which apparently isn't a popular opinion, are sheep and mountain goat. I think they are amazing animals and live in some of the coolest places. But, I have no desire to ever hunt them. If someone told me there was a world record ram or billy on one of the bluffs around here I wouldn't even go chase it.

Wondering if anyone else has any non-bucket list animals?

Sheep and goat for me. I throw my name in the lotto every year for sd but have no real hope of drawing.

Honestly brown bear a little. Don't like the idea of not eating what you shoot and just taking the pelt. Just not really my cup of tea. Even had a brown in my sights when I was younger and a tag in my pocket but didn't pull the trigger. Also had to do with poor shot opportunity and having to track a wounded bear in the deep woods of coastal Alaska

Africa. I really have no desire to hunt there. It would be cool to go there and see the wildlife though. Just no interest in shooting anything.

Coyotes, fox, etc. Nothing against anybody shooting them, but I prefer to hunt things that I will eat. Wolf might be an exception to this. Not sure they're on my bucket list, but not sure they're on my "not bucket list" either.

I guess I can think of hunt situations I would pass on but can’t think of a game animal I wouldn’t hunt if given the opportunity. Are there animals I wouldn’t seek the hunt itself just due to price and logistics? You bet. Africa actually never was on my list and then read some of the safari hunt books “horn of the hunter” “death in the long grass”. And the nostalgia more got me. If it was a hunt like that would be amazing adventure trip. But if it was something just sitting at water hole nah.

I’m right there on species that you can’t or wouldn’t eat unless there was a management reason behind it. Not sure why couldn’t eat brown bear given what they are eating something make them different than a black bear?

I’m in the boat of hunting for food and management. I hunt coyotes pretty hard. Why? They’re awesome to call and trick. I’ve even eaten one. Backstraps on my Traeger, and it wasn’t bad at all. They eat fawns up like hot wings, and with a rifle the best I’ve been able to do is thin them and drive them away. I’ve watched the deer population health improve in my area. I saw a nice legit herd of mature bucks this year, and killed the biggest mule deer I’ve seen in the area this year.

Small cats and dogs I guess… Bobcats and fox? I’m always up for listening to the science. Shoot, my daughter and I hunt yellow jackets hard. We even have a head mounted on the wall!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 29
I have no interest in hunting Africa.
No interest in high altitude sheep and goat hunting. Not sure they are officially off my bucket list but I don't lay awake at night trying to figure out how to make that hunt happen.
I have limited enough time and other resources that I try to focus on making realistic hunting choices. Once the kids are out of college I might be able to take some hunting trips that are further away or for species I've never encountered before.
Obviously, if an opportunity landed in my lap (with the exception of Africa) I would certainly take it.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back