Yeti GOBOX Collection

CO Archery - Unit 81

blue devil

A buddy and I are looking at Colorado Unit 81 for archery elk in 2016. We are looking at hiking in a ways off the beaten path and then setting up camp. Any tips, suggestions, experiences, failures or success would be helpful. Equipment, clothes, weather, terrain, techniques. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
I've hunted both 80 and 81 and they are like any other OTC unit in CO, crowded. I've done everything from day hunts to a 5 day backpack hunt in a wilderness area. We were never able to get away from other hunters. We saw more people deep in the wilderness area than we did on day hunts.

The terrain is pretty steep with peaks as high as 13,000 ft. The altitude will kick your tail. I was never able to get acclimated to the 12,000 ft elevation like I can at 9,000-10,000ft.

Are you hunting during archery or rifle?

Exactly what the last post said. I stayed altitude sick the whole time we were there.
Also, if you see a distant cloud headed your way, get your rain gear out. Weather would go from beautiful and sunny to storming and hailing (dime-sized) within seconds. No kidding.

In fact, hey Southern Elk, glad to see you joined the forum! Don't let me forget to give you back your cook set. Not really sure how I ended up with it, but I have it.

Last edited:
In fact, hey Southern Elk, glad to see you joined the forum! Don't let me forget to give you back your cook set. Not really sure how I ended up with it, but I have it.

You think I need it after that nightmare of backpack hunt a couple of months ago?

You and me both blue devil. I've hunted CO 4 times and haven't been able to get away from folks. Your best option for that will be to accumulate a few preference points. I'm currently in no mans land with 9 points, but I plan to use those points soon, then find a unit that could be hunted every 3 or 4 years with a few points.

As far as archery season in 80/81, one of the best methods is sitting on water. It's usually hot there in the early season and they won't be far from water. Of the 3 years that I've hunted 80/81, we only got into good bugling one year. You will have to plan accordingly and decide what your gameplay is if they aren't bugling.

How far back into the country did you get when you went in 80/81 Southern Elk? We just want to see elk and have a possible chance with a shot. Trophy quality is not our concern, just some elk and few people. I've been doing research on units and thought with elk population, success rates, etc. 80/81 would be ok to try. We would also be packing in with NO horses, just us and our packs.

I have only elk hunted in the NW units.Archery hunting does have some hunters in the units I hunted in but nothing like the zoo in the rifle season,but they still kill elk,alot of elk.

How far back into the country did you get when you went in 80/81 Southern Elk? We just want to see elk and have a possible chance with a shot. Trophy quality is not our concern, just some elk and few people. I've been doing research on units and thought with elk population, success rates, etc. 80/81 would be ok to try. We would also be packing in with NO horses, just us and our packs.

As far as 5 miles. Sometimes it seems that the further you go, the more crowded it can seem. There will always be an outfitter or someone with horses in those really remote spots. I'm not trying to discourage you, I just don't think your going to totally get away from everyone, but it's a big area and can be productive.

Hunted 80 in '13. Had a friend who lived in South Fork and worked for USFS. We got into a few elk but you'll have to get 2 or more miles off the road. I left a real nice 6x6 just off of Del Norte, wouldn't give me a shot.

Yes we are looking at getting off the beaten path at least a few miles and setting up bivy camp and going out hunting from there. Also possibly looking at Units 68 and 79. Just keeping options open

I have also had the experience in 81 where if you go real far into the wilderness (e.g. > 5 miles) you will start running into a lot of outfitted hunts. In my experience the sweet spot used to be 2-4 miles, but I've also been having more trouble getting away from the crowd recently. It can also vary a huge amount from year to year, and week to week within the season.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back