Choosing a revolver - what factors to consider?

This is what I went with. It is easy to carry in a GunfighterInc Kenai chest holster. It doesn’t interfere with my bow at full draw or when wearing my backpack. I used to carry in a belt holster but would sometimes panic because it was so light I’d think I lost it.
I carry it hiking, archery hunting or when packing meat, I leave my rifle at the truck and grab this.
It is MagnaPorted. Shooting .44mag in my opinion is no worse than a .357 and practicing with 44 specials is less than that.

I am confident that if it gets wet, muddy, subzero weather, whatever, if I pull the trigger it will fire. Just old school.

I had a 6” stainless S&W .44 mag before this. Once when I rapid fired it, it climbed in my hand splitting my web. This is way more controllable.un-ported all 44’s hurt my hand after a couple rounds fired.
It is also a comfortable carry gun in a belt holster. 7BBE04BC-F2E8-438C-83B7-7361C2CE7B17.jpegB8D63D13-AF38-4CF1-9540-47CEE6CDBC2D.jpeg

Imagine we've all gone through a similar thought process, trial and error. After starting with a stainless .357 SW686 4", switched to .44 for grizzly country WY. Love it. For me, 3-4" barrel is optimal.

SW 329PD
X-frame rubber grip (trust me, forgo the cool sexy look of the wood grips and get this)
240gr solid copper handloads for penetration (https://cuttingedgebullets.com/44-240gr-handgun-solid)
Holster - hip high micro-aggression so it's always on me even when take off pack or bino harness (https://gunfightersinc.com/shop/micro-aggression-thigh-panel/)

329PD is a joy to carry and can be fun to shoot practice rounds (700-900fps), which I even used for an IDPA competition event for the sake of training in shooting it while moving. I especially like the hip high holster because that is where I practice drawing from and carry it when in any training competitions, so I don't want to have to think at all in case of drawing in an emergency.

I do practice drawing and shooting with my bear rounds, but those copper bullets are silly expensive, so I've got some affordable hardcast coated bullets I use for full strength practice rounds which would also likely be great bear rounds outside of CA where copper is required (https://missouribullet.com/details.php?prodId=241&category=5&secondary=12).

If you go stainless and are ok with the added weight, then the SW 629 mountain gun is pretty sweet, with the older ones being lighter.

Cheers,

Steve

Attachments

• IMG_4145.jpg
    IMG_4145.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
Regardless of what you get, make sure you carry it in a holster that is on your person and not your pack. They are a little spendy, but a couple of friends have the Kenai Gunfighter and really like them.

And practice. A lot. Send a bunch of rounds down range and know that thing like it's your John Thomas.

95690148_3759457340796031_2249247997521035264_n.jpg

Stainless revolvers are heavy. Titanium framed revolvers are very light. The increase in recoil is very real. That said, I'd still opt for the lighter gun that you will carry versus the heavy one you will not. Just don't shoot full house loads in them for practice.
I’d also opt for the lighter gun I carry a ruger super Blackhawk stainless 44mag with 5.5 in barrel loaded with buffalo bore and its fairly heavy i regret not going lighter but it’s what I have for now

I would second the notion of putting the rubber X-frame grip on a 329PD. I put it on mine and it made a huge difference. I would be hesitant to port it though; I would prefer to just shoot hardcast 44 specials versus permanently reducing the speed and energy you will get out of the pistol.

I carry a Taurus tracker in 44mag. Its light enough to not be very much fun to shoot at the range, but not unmanageable. Definitely getting a chest holster from Razco for this fall. I haven't put them on a scale, but in hand it feels pretty comparable in weight to my buddies G20 fully loaded. G20's definitely more fun to shoot, but most of us aren't carrying them in the woods for fun...

I've carried a variety of sidearms in the woods for almost 50 years. For the first few years I carried either a .357 6 1/2" Ruger Blackhawk or Gov't model 1911 .45 acp. I carried the .45 more than the .357. In the late '70s I got my first .44 magnum pistol, a 7 1/2" Ruger Super Blackhawk. That pistol has many years and miles in the woods with me.

One time, when I lived in northwest Montana, a friend and I were fishing and took a break to shoot some saucer size rocks. His .357 would break the rocks, but my .44 mag would shatter the rocks into gravel.

A couple of years ago I bought a Stainless 4" S&W 629 .44 magnum. I have both Ruger and S&W revolvers in .357 magnum. The recoil of my .357 mag revolvers does not compare to the recoil of my .44 mag revolvers, and I never really noticed a big difference in the recoil from the "western" style grip of my Ruger Blackhawk compared to the square grips of my S&W revolvers. However, the first thing that I noticed when I shot my S&W 629 .44 mag was that it's recoil pushes straight back into my hand and it feels greater than the recoil of my western style grips of my Ruger Super Blackhawk revolvers because the western style grips rotate the pistol up in my hand. All of my Ruger revolvers and my S&W Model 19 .357 revolver have factory wood grips. My S&W 629 .44 mag has factory rubber grips.

I have always shot full power .44 magnum loads in my Ruger Super Blackhawk revolvers, but when I got my S&W 629 I started shooting .44 Special loads in it for practice. These .44 Spl loads are a pleasure to shoot as they only have about half of the felt recoil as my full power .44 magnum loads.

However, the first thing that I noticed when I shot my S&W 629 .44 mag was that it's recoil pushes straight back into my hand and it feels greater than the recoil of my western style grips of my Ruger Super Blackhawk revolvers because the western style grips rotate the pistol up in my hand. All of my Ruger revolvers and my S&W Model 19 .357 revolver have factory wood grips. My S&W 629 .44 mag has factory rubber grips.

This is big for me too. I've got 2 Ruger Vaquero's in .44 Mag - 1 5 1/2" and 1 4 5/8". I shot SASS in Ennis for a few years and used those, just handloaded down to the spec's we needed. But I'll practice with heavy loads too (I've still got a couple boxes of Garrett's 300 gr hardcast) - and the rolling action of the grips really helps me control multiple shots and not have any pain.

I've shot the SW 329 with just some regular 240gr loads a couple of times - and I could feel the vibrations work through my shoulders. I am not typically recoil sensitive - but would prefer not to carry a 329.

The 629 as mentioned many times in this thread would be a good option. I've thought many times about picking one of those up. With the good holsters out now - you wouldn't really notice it.

I will mention - getting a lighter caliber for practice that has the same / similar frame is something I would recommend. I've picked up a Ruger single-six - and it's very similar in the sight-picture as well as grip. I can plink all day with it and move back over to the bigger calibers without adjusting technique.

Practice will get you farther along with which ever gun you pick. S&W has enough smaller frames/calibers that it would be easy to go that route.

This is what I went with. It is easy to carry in a GunfighterInc Kenai chest holster. It doesn’t interfere with my bow at full draw or when wearing my backpack. I used to carry in a belt holster but would sometimes panic because it was so light I’d think I lost it.
I carry it hiking, archery hunting or when packing meat, I leave my rifle at the truck and grab this.
It is MagnaPorted. Shooting .44mag in my opinion is no worse than a .357 and practicing with 44 specials is less than that.

I am confident that if it gets wet, muddy, subzero weather, whatever, if I pull the trigger it will fire. Just old school.

I had a 6” stainless S&W .44 mag before this. Once when I rapid fired it, it climbed in my hand splitting my web. This is way more controllable.un-ported all 44’s hurt my hand after a couple rounds fired.
It is also a comfortable carry gun in a belt holster. View attachment 139190View attachment 139191

That ported 329 might save you a trip to the emergency room or worse, but I bet you would wind up at the audiologist if you shot it without ear protection in an emergency situation.

...The 629 as mentioned many times in this thread would be a good option. I've thought many times about picking one of those up. With the good holsters out now - you wouldn't really notice it.

I will mention - getting a lighter caliber for practice that has the same / similar frame is something I would recommend. I've picked up a Ruger single-six - and it's very similar in the sight-picture as well as grip. I can plink all day with it and move back over to the bigger calibers without adjusting technique.

Practice will get you farther along with which ever gun you pick. S&W has enough smaller frames/calibers that it would be easy to go that route.
Yes, practice is the key for all shooting. Just like many of the magnum rifles, many people will buy a big pistol and won't shoot it enough to become proficient with it. Not good in a life or death situation!

Here's my battery of Ruger and S&W pistols. I've shot thousands of rounds through them. The Special rounds are good for low recoil practice in the magnum frames. The cartridge on the right under the Super Blackhawk is a cylinder length shot round. I've killed quite a few grouse with them, and it's fun to shoot Station 8 Skeet with them. They work in my Super Blackhawks but they stick in my S&W 629.
yGcLAKSm.jpg
NAsX1FAm.jpg

That ported 329 might save you a trip to the emergency room or worse, but I bet you would wind up at the audiologist if you shot it without ear protection in an emergency situation.

What?

It’s much worse on bystanders.
The least of my concerns. Reduced muzzle flip/faster target acquisition for follow up shots is what I have found.
I’m no expert pistol shot or even that well informed of all the energy data and combinations available today.
I did however carry for years and had to combat qualify each year. That was usually with a S&W model 19 .357 later on 9mm.
What my experience taught me is I don’t like carrying heavy pistols. I found they end up under the front seat at the first opportunity for me and many others. (IMHO the fastest way to acquire two large bore pistols for protection is to buy a heavy one first).
This combination always goes with and just works for me. Also, I get to practice on a steel target about 150 feet from my front door.

Last edited:
What?

It’s much worse on bystanders.
The least of my concerns. Reduced muzzle flip/faster target acquisition for follow up shots is what I have found.
I’m no expert pistol shot or even that well informed of all the energy data and combinations available today.
I did however carry for years and had to combat qualify each year. That was usually with a S&W model 19 .357 later on 9mm.
What my experience taught me is I don’t like carrying heavy pistols. I found they end up under the front seat at the first opportunity for me and many others. (IMHO the fastest way to acquire two large bore pistols for protection is to buy a heavy one first).
This combination always goes with and just works for me. I get to practice on a steel target about 150 feet from my front door.

If anyone is worried about porting noise or flash on a wheelgun.....let them hold the barrel cylinder gap next to their face.....

I used to carry a 3” S&W 629 when I bowhunted for elk. I later bought a 329 Night Guard to shed a little weight but I have not been out to bowhunt since I got it. I wouldn’t go with a barrel longer than 4” if I were getting it primarily for “defense.”

I run a S&W .41 Magnum, 3.5" barrel. It's a beautiful pistol but isn't very fun to shoot with bear loads. The smaller frame doesn't really bug me in a hip holster, one thing I've noticed with bigger framed revolvers is you notice them ALL day hiking on your hip. The .41 mag ammo can be difficult to find sometimes.

S&W 69 or 329PD for carry. I personally don't like carrying anything bigger than L-frame or GP100 with 4" barrel, so that's what I have. Ruger does make a .44 Spl GP100, but then you're after hot .44 Spl loads instead of just getting .44mag.

Things about revolvers...you can get a different grip if what comes on it does not fit you. Longer barrels kick more in similar weights. Higher velocity, more barrel whip and muzzle blast can make a less powerful round less comfortable to bear. Barrels longer than 4" put you carrying crossdraw if you're in a vehicle.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back