PEAX Equipment

Choosing a revolver - what factors to consider?

I'm a revolver carry guy in the mountains. Passed on from the family before I guess. Don't trust a semi in the woods. mtmuley
That's why I had the Gp100 all those years, but shoot more with my various sigs and became more comfortable with them for all occasions. But that's the beauty of it all, many options for many preferences - but I don't believe my GP100 is any more reliable than my sigP220 even in the woods - and they have both seen a fair amount of rough and tumble treatment.

1588460677149.png

Seems expensive to me, I don't shop handguns often though. Also, does not have the ribber grip.
My 357. Note medium frame size, 7 round capacity.

Attachments

• IMG_0771.JPG
    IMG_0771.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 10
Last edited:
I'm a revolver carry guy in the mountains. Passed on from the family before I guess. Don't trust a semi in the woods. mtmuley

I agree with a revolver in the woods and with BcGunworks.

I carry a 4” S&W 329PD 44mag in a GunfighterInc chest holster.

I had it Magna-ported before I ever shot it. 4 ports.

I practice with 44special rounds.

Before that I had a S&W stainless in 44mag that seemed to always end up under the front seat. Just too heavy.
The 329 isn’t even noticeable.

Last edited:
I love the trigger on the smiths. I like the scandium frame but I'm not sure about the recoil. A 629 is what im looking at. Rugers are heavier but you can run hotter loads in them. Those are the two I'm trying to choose between.

Can you shoot hotter loads in the ruger? Yup

Is there really any gain....no,once You get into magnums/big bore plus P doesn’t make nearly as much difference on tissue.

will they trash the gun quicker....absolutely.

Paul I carried a side arm for 28 years as a Deputy Sheriff. I started with a Colt Python 6 inch barrel. The 6 inch barrel was a pain it was just always in the way. I then went to a nickel S&W model 57 4 inch 41 mag. This was a great gun that I still have. The cost to practice and qualify with was to much for me at the time. Then went to a S&W model 66 4 inch 357. I carried this until we switched to semi auto's, I still have it. Then I went to S&W 659 9mm 14 shot until S&W came out with the 1006 10mm. I love it and carried it until I retired. Today I carry it in a shoulder rig along with 2 spare mag's. When I'm out hiking I carry a Ruger Super Redhawk 454 with a 7 1/2 barrel in a chest rig. This is double action and nice to shoot even with heavy loads. Also I'm able to use a speed loader if a reload is required or I want to swap out from a hard cast to a Jacketed hollow point. Many options here. If going for a walk around Seeley I will probably carry the 10mm. It's concealable and powerful.
I've been thinking of getting a S&W 629 4 inch for a all around carry gun, except for in town type of a CCW weapon. I think the S&W 629 4 inch would fit your needs very well.
Dan

I would go with the 629 mountain gun. Its around 38 ounces empty. I have that, as well as a 5.5 inch redhawk and a 7.5 inch super Blackhawk. Ruger does offer the super redhawk in a snubbie that would be worth considering but the others are just too heavy. The mountain gun is the best comprise between weight and controlability that I have found. Heavy bear loads aren't too bad in it. I never really saw the draw towards the 41. The .44 is actually .429 so not much of a difference and you have so many more options with the .44 including .44 special.

I have been perpetually contemplating my first handgun purchase for 10 years. As far as hunting side go I would be torn between a 10mm semi say a Glock 40, or a revolver say a S&W 460VXR. Both from what I have read are good bear guns with the 460 having more power and the 10mm having a larger magazine. Personal protection I will probably just go 9mm for an EDC, but the previously mentioned I think would make great bear sidearms. The 460 does give the option of letting you fire 454 Casull or 45 shells so that is what it is. A fun topic. Will be interested in seeing other peoples opinions.

I carry a Smith 329pd Alaska Backpacker 44mag 2 1/2 inch, it is very manageable with bear loads it is also very comfortable to carry on my hip, I was going to get a Ruger Alaskan but the weight difference was a no brainer for me as I dont chest carry. Im not sure they still offer it in the same model. It is the Scandium frame and Stainless cylinder.

This topic has been beat to death, but I'll offer my $0.02. Some of this may be taken as a bit off topic, but it relates to the op's question. I live, work, and recreate in grizzly bear country. I've killed too many bears (black and grizzly). Based upon my personal experience, the only guarantee in stopping a grizzly bear immediately in a self defense scenario is a cns shot. Other shots have worked and will work, but they aren't guaranteed to work. This does not require an uber magnum in a typical defense scenario (facing bear). It takes a bullet that will penetrate, a dead reliable platform, and a competent user. For me, big powerful rounds fired from heavy revolvers makes this task much more difficult. Big, heavy, long barreled revolvers are also a pain to carry. There are certainly folks that can shoot the big revolvers just as quick and accurately as anything, but I'm not one of them.

My experiences have shaped my preference in a sidearm. I now typically carry a semi in 10mm, but often carry just a 9mm and spray. I rarely ever carry a pistol when rifle hunting. If I were tasked to carry a revolver for bear defense on a daily basis it would be a double action 3-4 inch barrel in whatever flavor you prefer between .357 and .41 shooting hard cast or stoutly constructed fmj bullets. Whatever platform you decide practice is important. Make absolute certain that the firearm and selected load function flawlessly. I used to carry a 329 but in a very tense situation had a bullet jump the crimp and leave the revolver inoperable. After that event I tested lots of loads, and found that many were jumping their crimp at least to a small degree. Additionally, brass from any load that approached "warm" was very difficult to eject from the cylinder. I lost confidence and sold the pistol.

A good amount of "information" regarding this topic on the web is worth exactly what you pay. Some of the most opinionated have little to no experience with bears at handshake distance. Those that deal with bears on a daily basis are often much more comfortable with far less than those who have never seen a bear.

I you are considering 41 magnum, then I would go with a 10mmAuto in the Sig p220 or the Glock G20.
If he's considering a .41 magnum, he should get a .41 magnum. A 10mm isn't near the same as a .41 Magnum's ballistics. I have a S&W stainless mountain gun in .41 magnum. It's one gun that I'd never sell. I reload for mine, so finding factory ammo somewhere in BFE isn't a problem for me.

Last edited:
I just sold my 44 Redhawk to pay for my 270. I kept the 357 GP100 6 shot stainless. However....as time passes....I think I would prefer a high capacity 10mm....spray and pray.

Regardless of what you get, make sure you carry it in a holster that is on your person and not your pack. They are a little spendy, but a couple of friends have the Kenai Gunfighter and really like them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Regardless of what you get, make sure you carry it in a holster that is on your person and not your pack. They are a little spendy, but a couple of friends have the Kenai Gunfighter and really like them.

I second the Kenai. I absolutely love mine. Very comfortable and good retention. Works well under a bino harness too.

I love the trigger on the smiths. I like the scandium frame but I'm not sure about the recoil. A 629 is what im looking at. Rugers are heavier but you can run hotter loads in them. Those are the two I'm trying to choose between.

If you need a hotter load than a 44 for protection you need to start thinking about a long gun.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back