Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Cameron Hanes

Cameron Hanes has a specific audience he's targeted to (fitness dudez), whether intentionally or not. Big Fin and Steven Rinella also have audiences they target, which I just happen to identify with more. Sometimes CH's stuff seems a bit commercial but if he tips a few more in our direction it's a good thing.

Been following him since he first started putting out youtube vids. He pushes the envelope like every other high endurance athlete that I can think of. I have watched his selfy mode kick on over the last few years, but honestly I can't blame him. That is what people wanted. The amount of people asking what he eat for breakfast (just an example) is ridiculous. Rogan has him super branding himself as well. I'll continue to follow him and watch the vids that interest me and leave the rest at teh door.

Geeze I didn't expect this thread to take off like it did. I heard a few people that seem to be in the same boat as I and that is take some and leave some. He has great passion, can't stand hunting on ranches with outfitters, and I think just happens to have an addictive personality and he chose to be addicted to fitness. I do enjoy his takes on archery topics but as far as those god awful sounding breakfast bowls he eats, I'll take my eggs and bacon.

I will say this, Under Armour has been putting a lot into him and at least on me it worked. Prior to listening to him I never once thought I would buy UA running shoes or apparel, but I decided to give a pair a try and am never going back to Nike and Aasics... I'm embarrassed to admit that.

Geeze I didn't expect this thread to take off like it did. I heard a few people that seem to be in the same boat as I and that is take some and leave some. He has great passion, can't stand hunting on ranches with outfitters, and I think just happens to have an addictive personality and he chose to be addicted to fitness. I do enjoy his takes on archery topics but as far as those god awful sounding breakfast bowls he eats, I'll take my eggs and bacon.

I will say this, Under Armour has been putting a lot into him and at least on me it worked. Prior to listening to him I never once thought I would buy UA running shoes or apparel, but I decided to give a pair a try and am never going back to Nike and Aasics... I'm embarrassed to admit that.

I don't know what kind of input Cam has been giving UA on hunting clothing but they need to rethink things. Their hunting clothing has taken a huge nose dive. I wont even consider wearing any of the current UA offerings in the hunting line. I do like and still use some of my older UA hunting clothing.

My big concern about his SOME of his "fan-base" is that I see the potential for the Bro's from the gym becoming Bro's in the woods with bows, with the sole objective of KILLING an elk. With little regard for the entire package. The research, the scouting, the hunt process itself, time in the woods with or without others, developing a deep respect for the animal who's life it is that we as hunters decide to take, or not take, depending on whether we can make an ETHICAL shot, within our comfort zone.

Obviously as hunters the objective for most of us is to come back with meat for the freezer. But.... I cringe at the thought of some meatheads that can afford bows, and tags getting all their frat brothers together to go "shoot at elk" like Cam does! "I got muscles like Cam, I can draw a 110# bow and launch arrows at elk at 100 yards"

but I could be wrong.... just my 0.02

The majority of those "Bro's" will end their elk hunting careers when they wake up in a tent a few miles from their trucks and have to put on wet clothes for the third morning in a row when it's 35 degrees and the raindrops are pattering on the top of the tent again. The ones that are hunters will hunt, the ones that aren't hunters will realize meat is much cheaper and more easily obtained from the grocery store.

I don't pay much attention to the guy. I have no problem with him and maybe if I didn't have bad knees, feet, and a bulged disc in my lower back I might look to him for ideas to get in shape.

I'd rather have someone like him portraying our sport than someone who shoots named deer over a timed feeder in Texas and then brags about what a great hunter they are.

The majority of those "Bro's" will end their elk hunting careers when they wake up in a tent a few miles from their trucks and have to put on wet clothes for the third morning in a row when it's 35 degrees and the raindrops are pattering on the top of the tent again.

I'd rather have someone like him portraying our sport than someone who shoots named deer over a timed feeder in Texas and then brags about what a great hunter they are.

Fantastic points! and OH SO TRUE !!

When you drive across town and walk into Bowtech's Jim Shockey meet n greet with a handful of selfies and start asking people if they want your autograph, you have issues.
On the flip side, he inspires tons of people to get off the couch and that's a good thing.

Uncool, if true. That is like the mother of the Groom wearing white to the wedding or the brother of the Bride asking his girlfriend to be engaged during the toast sequence at the wedding reception. There are times it should be about someone else having the spotlight and staying in your lane rather than becoming a distraction.

Extreme bow hunting starter kit:

1 case of synthetic testosterone
1 quart of baby oil
2 shake weights
Hoyt carbon spyder / 2 dozen arrows
CWMU elk permit
Canadian guided bear hunt over bucket of donuts
selfie stick

Cam-in-Roosevelt-elk-country-2011.jpg

I'm going to try perching myself on a rock and coming to full draw someday, but doing the crane technique in order to look more badass.

You guys sure let a dude occupy a lot of space in your heads.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

I admire his dedication and skill, but I've grown tired of his obsession with himself over the years. It's gone way over the top and turned into an annoyance. I used to enjoy watching him on outdoors programs, but now can't stand watching him because he is so full of himself.

How do you get this out of your head? This kind of thought put into your training will take you to levels of fitness you've never dreamed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5sk7rGxExE

The dude likes to put himself through pain. Who else runs 100 mile marathons. My kid would have nutted me right away and I would have been done.

I do laugh at him because while not physically easy you don't have to be like him to kill elk.

"I've always been drawn to things that are hard." -Cameron Hanes, Hunting Illustrated Fall '14

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Avidsomething
Back