Caliber Choice - Kimber Mnt Accent

• Thread starter Deleted member 18333
  • Start date
Personally, I would go for the 280 AI. Why? Because hardly anyone else has one! :) I think the 280 is a very much overlooked caliber, capable of doing anything that a 270 or '06 can do. Plus I'm a 7mm fan. My go to deer rifle is a 7mm-08, a 30 year old Remington Model 7FS that rivals the Kimber for weight. I chose the 7mm-08 because back then it was new and different, plus the rifle wasn't available in 284 Winchester!

TO answer one question from above about ammo prices - 270 and 30-06 can be bought cheaper because they are much more popular than the 7mm-08. It doesn't make them any better ballistically, just cost less. Its all personal preference.....

I'm moving closer to taking the lifer route also, but do any of you know the expected wait for an ascent in 308 win?

I went lifer this year and got the Cimarron and couldn't be happier. I own some lightweight rifles and would say you can't really go wrong with the 280, the 7mm-hunttallk or the 300wsm

If it were me I'd go with a light recoiling 7mm class or a 270 and call it good. You've already got a cannon in the safe so you should be set.

I did the life membership this summer and picked .308. Received it in about two-three weeks. I just sent it back to Kimber due to a poor dip job on the Sitka camo. Overall happy with form and function. I like the range of bullet weights I can run through it. After carrying it in MT this year, there is no doubt it will be my go to rifle.

I handled a .300 WIN at Scheels. It is heavier and didn't feel as balanced. I would def recommend short action caliber.

FYI.....just got my rifle back from Kimber. They put a new stock on it and fired 5 rounds as part of the QC process. While I would have preferred they got the stock right from the get go, I can't complain about their service and turn-around time fixing their mistake.

I just did the life membership for the 7mm-08 Thursday, and they said 3-5 weeks.

My rifle showed up right before New Years. Right at 3 weeks. I mounted a Leupold vx3i 4.5-14 cds on it just the other day. Headed to the range this weekend.

If weight is important, I believe the .308 comes in at 4 lbs and 13 oz. All others are 5 lbs and 5oz.

Thanks for the BHA life membership!

For me it would be hands down 280AI. I love the 7MM also and see so many do not like the belted case.

I'm glad I ran into this thread. I've been wrestling with a new gun decision. Been looking at rifles realistically in my price range mainly the Tikka T3X Superlite and the Kimber Hunter in 7/08, 280AI, then the 270. I would occasionally dream about a Kimber Mountain Ascent. I'll make the purchase through Cabelas as I have over 600 points.

This thread has made up my mind in two areas. I am going to bite the bullet go all in with the Mountain Ascent and it will be in 7/08. I'll have to sell a rifle to finance the difference but the Mountain Ascent will be in a whole new class for me as far as weight goes. I will use it out west for elk and antelope and around home for deer. Out west I have been hunting DIY high and steep and around home I hunt deep into public swamps ( sometimes a two boat trip) , so a light, weather proof gun should be the ticket.

I don't sell many guns and I killed my first bull with the one I am going to get rid of but I am comfortable on the decision. Been grinding the options in my mind for a while.

I see no 7/08 in Cabelas' offering so maybe 270/280AI or with that weight back where I was...wondering.

Thanks guys

HD

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sbaker
Back