Yeti GOBOX Collection

Caliber Choice - Kimber Mnt Accent

• Thread starter Deleted member 18333
  • Start date
Thirded.

I wish they either did a cash only Lifetime membership or had more rifle options. For whatever reason the Mountain Ascent doesn't come in .243.

I'll probably end up just picking a random membership and selling whatever gift I go with.

Have you asked Ryan about it? I wouldn't be surprised if they could do something like that...

Thank you for all the comments. They are helpful. The more I look at the 7MM I just don't think I am getting that much weight difference in what I currently use. I'm starting to lean towards the 280 AI. I lose 2 lbs and 2 3/4" shorter than my current 300 RUM. Looks like it has good punch out to 400 as well. I have had good luck with Nosler factory loads and it looks like they have options and availability on 280 AI.

The 7mm-08 sure seems to be popular and the 3lb weight reduction keeps drawing me in. My only concern is the energy out at 400 yds. 1388 ft-lbs with a 140 gr AB, should I be concerned on MD at that distance? I am use to 2500 ft-lbs. I consider myself a very competent shooter. No expert by an means but I know my limitations.

that rifle is very very light. I just bought a sub 6lb rifle in .308 and with 180g bullets it hits hard off the bench if you aren't using some kind of lead sled. I'd recommend a smaller caliber in that rifle .308 7mm-08 etc if you plan on spending a lot of time at the range.

Thirded.

I wish they either did a cash only Lifetime membership or had more rifle options. For whatever reason the Mountain Ascent doesn't come in .243.

I'll probably end up just picking a random membership and selling whatever gift I go with.

The Seek Outside Cimmaron Hot Tent Package retails for $799 on the Seek Outside Website and the Silver Life Membership is only $1,000 with the that same tent package.

I have a Seek Outside 6 man tipi and stove already and a Shangri La 5 so really don't need that setup. They don't have an option with the 8 man tipi, I might upgrade to an 8 man tipi if they had it but the 12 man is a little too big.

To the original poster - I have a Kimber Montana in .300 WSM and am very happy with how light it is and the recoil isn't bad at all in hunting situations. I've shot 3 deer with it this year and it does it's job well. The short action helps on the weight and the shorter overall rifle is nice as well. I'm coming from a Browning A-Bolt in 7mm Rem Mag and am very happy with the .300 WSM.

Last edited:
that rifle is very very light. I just bought a sub 6lb rifle in .308 and with 180g bullets it hits hard off the bench if you aren't using some kind of lead sled. I'd recommend a smaller caliber in that rifle .308 7mm-08 etc if you plan on spending a lot of time at the range.

It comes with a brake that can be removed.

I also primarily shoot a 300 rum. Picked up a mtn ascent 270 win last winter and topped it with vx3i 4.5x14 cds. Came in right at 6lbs and is a dream to carry, very accurate too. The rifle went 5/5 this season with 3 wt deer, 1 coyote, and a bull elk. All 1 shot kills. Very happy with the gun

I'm wanting to become a life member as well. I can't swing the $2,500 rifle package right now. I'm considering the $1,000 option with the Kimber Micro Carry .380.

As for the OPs question, I would consider the .308, 30-06, or .270 because of the ease of finding factory ammo.

Last edited:
The 7mm-08 sure seems to be popular and the 3lb weight reduction keeps drawing me in. My only concern is the energy out at 400 yds. 1388 ft-lbs with a 140 gr AB, should I be concerned on MD at that distance? I am use to 2500 ft-lbs. I consider myself a very competent shooter. No expert by an means but I know my limitations.

These elk seemed to hate the chit out of the 140 AB's MV 2850:

629 yards, pass through:

DSC00699.JPG

486 yards, slightly quartering away broke the off shoulder and recovered the bullet:

DSC00064.JPG

Bullet looked pretty good:

DSC00238.JPG

426 yards pass through, still haven't recovered one from a deer:

DSC00185.JPG

I don't see how you would have any problem on any big-game inside 400 with the 7-08.

Well I would say that answered that question.

MC, actually with today's bullets it's not so much the ft lbs of energy delivered as used to be the Golden Rule. Nosler, Barnes, or just about any other, are stating that proper expansion should be accomplished down to around 1800fps. It's all in the bullet design & materials.

I'm just going to use the 7/08 as an example here, not another endorsement. A 140gr AB at 2800fps, at the muzzle, is still clocking along at 1950 fps and just shy of 1200 Ft Lbs at 500 yds. That's about identical to a 30/30 at 90ds. How many here would espouse that a 30/30 isn't enough for any deer, black bear, or elk at less than 100 yds ?

Pop 'em in the ticker....and have a sharp knife ready.

Dang it, Buzz. I had almost talked myself out of buying another rifle. :)

Last edited:
I have a light weight 7-08 and while it's not a mountain ascent, it is without a doubt my favorite in the safe. Congrats on the lifetime membership. When I can get an income tax return and not simultaneously have a child on the way I will probably do the same. I have had the kimber itch for a while now. Those darn montana's just call to me every time I see one.

If your concerned about the 1388 ft lbs at 400.......keep in mind most hot 44 mag rounds don't touch 1150 ft lbs at the muzzle. Something to keep in mind.

Another vote for 7mm-08 in that platform. I shoot a 280AI in my primary big game rifle (Rem700 Mountain Rifle), and that would be my choice if you wanted to handload. Barring that, 7mm-08 all day long.

Congrats on the membership and the new rig.

Yeap, thanks for the Life Membership in BHA, I'm paid up for about 3 or 4 yrs. I looked at the Lifetime deal a couple of times then lost my job of 20yrs :(.

I would stay away from the magnums in such a light gun, that said I would cut my list to 708, 270, 3oo6, and since I hand-load I would include the 280AI.

Enjoy,

I like the 7mm choices and have owned and shot 7 mags for years. That being said, doing it over again, I would own two 7-08s and call it good. For deer, I also am really starting to like my .260. The .308s that I own also get their share of shots. Bottom line for me is a .308-based cartridge. Factory fodder limits the .260, but the 7-08 and .308 have factory stuff available. I would start with Hornady American Whitetail and work out.

Since you don't hand load, of the options you listed it'd be a very short list for me; 308 Win and 270 Win. Lots of factory offerings that cover a lot of bases. All the rest you listed I'd prefer to handload for or kick harder than I'd like in a 5# rifle.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTOG
Back