Yeti GOBOX Collection

Cabela's Alaskan Guide

bigbear045

Hey Guys,

My hunting partner and I are looking into tents for this upcoming season and I wanted to bounce some questions off you. I am in year 4 of big game hunting in Colorado and we want to make the jump from our backpacking tents to either a wall tent or outfitter tent. Cots, tables, and all that will make for a nicer camp. We have tags for seasons 2 and 4 (Colorado) and like hunting the later seasons for the cold, but that makes camping more challenging. Simply put, we want to get comfortable for our hunts and spend our money well for years to come. I am currently trying to decide between a smaller wall tent or a Cabela's Alaskan Guide tent with a heater. I have used the Guide tents quite a bit in Alaska during the summer. Great tents that are warm but Alaska in rainy aug is different that Colorado in Nov. I have no experience with Wall Tents but I appears to be the common method.

Wall Tent
Pros: Comfortable, large, warm, better in winter than a tent
Cons: Hard to store (I live in a condo in Denver, this is important because I have a lot of gear), set up time, wood stove, costs.

Cabela's Alaskan Guide
Pros: Large, reasonable costs, easy to setup, easy to store, nice for sept and early oct.
Cons: Cant use a stove

Any thoughts?

Thank you

Have you looked into an Alaknak? We have one and love it. Very quick and easy to set up with the ability to use a stove to dry down and warm up.

I don't think the Cabelas Alaskan Guide is a very good cold weather option, even with a heater.

I have a Kodiak 10x14 that easily fits 2 of us with gear and everything. I warm it up with a propane radiant heater, no need for a wood stove. It has been through wind and rain and snow and is still going strong. I can fold it down small enough to fit in a military duffel bag.

Have you looked into an Alaknak? We have one and love it. Very quick and easy to set up with the ability to use a stove to dry down and warm up.

This ^^^

I own a alaknak 12x12 with foyer and works great for us. If it gets cold just fill barrel stove and stays pretty decent. Tent seems like a quality product, used 4 seasons now about month a year. Up to 60mph winds and 2 feet of snow has done well. I know they make few different model tents and sure they are good just make sure you got/make a good stove.

C

Do what we did. After deciding that we needed a trailer to get all the camping gear hauled out anyways, we decided we would just stay in the trailer and eliminate the tent.

trailer-4.JPGtrailer-3 - Copy.JPGtrailer-2 - Copy.JPG

I think it ran me about $7500, but I had all the custom stuff hired done. I wouldn't do the RV furnace again, that was $1000, and has seemed to give more problems than heat. With the walls insulated it doesn't take much of an electric heater ran off of small generator to keep warm. We went this route over camper because I can fit 2 Atv's in it plus all other camping gear. We used to haul all our stuff out on a flatbed trailer and would always seem to drive through rain/mud on the way out resulting in a mess to set up when we got there. I use my Kodiak canvas tent for scout camp with my son, and would highly recommend if going the tent route. Owned a 12x14 outfitter tent, lots of room, took longer to set up, and never could keep the mice out of it at hunt camp. Also owned a 6 person Alaskan guide tent, worked great for Alaska fly in hunt, but short on room for truck based hunting for elk.

Just be aware that if you use an electric heater and are drying clothes out, the moisture put into the air could be a problem. Please do not use a ventless propane heater. We see way too many people here in MN die every winter from CO poisoning in their fishhouses from them. Besides that, a byproduct of burning propane is water vapor. It will turn your tent into an instant sauna. You really can't beat a wood stove that gives off a dry heat and burns the moist air inside of the tent. I believe the Alaknak would offer you everything you are looking for.

We stayed in an enclosed trailer with bunks two years ago and didn't like it. It was just too narrow. You had to take turns getting up and getting dressed. Not only that, but everything you haul down in it has to find a new home while you are there. For us it just didn't work. I'm sure for others it's the cat's pajamas.

This ^^^

I own a alaknak 12x12 with foyer and works great for us. If it gets cold just fill barrel stove and stays pretty decent. Tent seems like a quality product, used 4 seasons now about month a year. Up to 60mph winds and 2 feet of snow has done well. I know they make few different model tents and sure they are good just make sure you got/make a good stove.

C

I have an alaknak also and it is a great tent.

Back