Wall tent wood stoves

Badger_55

Curious if there is any experience with the camp chef alpine stove vs the wall tent company or cylinder stove? Price tag is half the cost on the camp chef. Looking to put in a 15x17 wall tent.
I have a nu way 4000 propane but I don't believe that's going to do the trick for rifle season.
Thanks
Ben

I think the CC is gonna be a good entry level stove. Unless you are an outfitter with a backcountry camp 3 months straight I think it will run you out of the tent with plenty of dry wood and the damper open.

If you are cooking inside on a 3 burner camp chef stove it will heat things up too.

I think the CC is gonna be a good entry level stove. Unless you are an outfitter with a backcountry camp 3 months straight I think it will run you out of the tent with plenty of dry wood and the damper open.

If you are cooking inside on a 3 burner camp chef stove it will heat things up too.
Any idea on burn times? I've heard that it doesn't dampen down very easy.

Gonna depend on the wood more than anything. Get a smokestack damper and practice to see what it can do. i always had an old guy in camp getting up to pee every 2 hours so they would keep the stove loaded.

Gonna depend on the wood more than anything. Get a smokestack damper and practice to see what it can do. i always had an old guy in camp getting up to pee every 2 hours so they would keep the stove loaded.
Hey! You make that sound like a bad thing.:)
Buy a good cylinder stove, mine is pushing 30 years. Most mornings there are enough coals to fire the stove up.

I have a camp chef. The stove door needs a gasket and the stove pipe was terrible and required a lot of bending to fit and I now tape the pieces together with high temp foil tape.

I survived an early season rifle hunt with it and a 35 degree bag. I burnt through a lot of wood and woke up freezing. But I also was burning soft wood.

Camp chef, I believe is what was bought this year. Pipe that comes with it, starts at 5" at stove and gets larger as they stack/taper up. Went to Alaska Tent & Tarp and got the reverse pipe - 5"@stove and taper down on the rise. I like that better. Door hinges are welded, my door a little cocked, leaks air. Plan to cut hinges and straighten door, add gasket. It will be better.
Used it for two weeks straight. Easy to cook on and once coals are set, damper all the way down it burned a good while. Like it.
cylinder stove  (2).JPG
cylinder stove  (1).JPG

I have a Colorado cylinder stove for my montana canvas wall tent. Bought in 2009 and still going strong.

Curious if there is any experience with the camp chef alpine stove vs the wall tent company or cylinder stove? Price tag is half the cost on the camp chef. Looking to put in a 15x17 wall tent.
I have a nu way 4000 propane but I don't believe that's going to do the trick for rifle season.
Thanks
Ben
Used a Cylinder stove "outfitter" model from "Cylinder stoves" out of Utah back in 2019. Kept our 12x 20 warm. If anyone reading this has any preference on stove pipe (Nesting or regular) let me know. Want to incorporate a damper as well. Just not sure the best and safest set up with new stove pipe. The outfitter model i just bought second hand and in great shape has only a few lengths of 4" single wall and one 5" piece to start. i don't think choking it down right off the bat is a good idea even though looking a cylider stoves web sight lead one to believe that is exactly what is done. Any feedback is appreciated. I have the spark arrester as well.

I have always put the damper just above the stove but considered “next time” sticking it higher, just to pull more heat from the chimney pipe into the tent. Currently and for the last 8 years or so used the nesting pipe. I like it for ease of storage but it’s a PIA to separate the sections even with brushing out the insidesl.

I could get about 1.5 hours at most this season at elk camp in my 12x12.
That was monitoring closely, loading it heavy and damping it down to about fully closed at the air intakes.

It will get your tent HOT though!

We usually bring a pile pine or spruce for general burning then throw some slow burning hardwood on at night with the fire choked down. Worked really well last year and got us a good 4 to 6 hours before we had to re-load the fire.

We have a Davis tent cylinder stove. It has worked well for us. Usually get about 4 hours of burn time with it

Camp chef, I believe is what was bought this year. Pipe that comes with it, starts at 5" at stove and gets larger as they stack/taper up. Went to Alaska Tent & Tarp and got the reverse pipe - 5"@stove and taper down on the rise. I like that better. Door hinges are welded, my door a little cocked, leaks air. Plan to cut hinges and straighten door, add gasket. It will be better.
Used it for two weeks straight. Easy to cook on and once coals are set, damper all the way down it burned a good while. Like it.
View attachment 294393
View attachment 294394

I'd echo this.

I have the CC & added a gasket which increased burn time significantly. I'd be leery of going less expensive on a cylinder stove, IMO.

I went with a Yukon 5 stove from the tent shop in Idaho.. just burned it in. Seemed pretty easy to control the burn

I went with a Yukon 5 stove from the tent shop in Idaho.. just burned it in. Seemed pretty easy to control the burn
The steel thickness aids the retention of good heat. A friend has a similar type as you purchased and all's well. @Salmonchaser commented on raising the damper. I've not thought of this though that sounds like a quality way to gain a bit more heat output. Seems much more convenient than a stack robber / spark arrestor. I tried one and found smoke seeping out. My error? Likely... Got rid of it and continued with the normal setup. However, raising the damper... interesting.

Dig the nesting pipe for transport though same issue. Always clanking the sides to pull them apart. I make it a goal to always leave enough to pull apart.

When truck camp hunting, anyone use a coal chunks? A friend of a friend of a dad's friend (haha...) said it works well -never tried it myself.

This is not the cylindrical / flat top style though I build these for chits n grins.

I've actually used the Dweller wood tent stove for my hunting trips, and I can tell you, it's a pretty solid choice for the price. I've got a similar-sized tent, and it does a decent job heating it up. Plus, it won't break the bank, which is always a win.
I've heard good things about the Wall Tent Company stoves too. They're more expensive, yeah, but they're built like tanks.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rds
Back