Butt Shot???

SWMontana1

Had a buddy have a bull at 30 yards, broadside. He hit in the hindquarters... don't ask me how, I have no clue how you do that!! He kept quiet and said the thing died in about 10 minutes about 50 yards downhill.... anyone heard of something like this??? Could a hindquarter shot really be that deadly??? I've never head of something so strange, but then again, I don't ass shoot my elk :) but whatever works, I guess!

If you hit them in the femoral artery they will bleed out pretty quick.

You just need to be a really good shot to make sure you hit the artery! ;)

If you hit them in the femoral artery they will bleed out pretty quick.

You just need to be a really good shot to make sure you hit the artery! ;)

Makes sense. Thanks! I'll stick with the vitals....... for now ;)

I saw a doe drop dead that was shot by another hunter with the arrow sticking out of the hindquarter. Was bleeding like crazy and had went about 70yds after being shot. The femoral artery carries LOTs of the red stuff...

I saw a doe drop dead that was shot by another hunter with the arrow sticking out of the hindquarter. Was bleeding like crazy and had went about 70yds after being shot. The femoral artery carries LOTs of the red stuff...

I was just surprised that it took down an elk that fast... makes sense with such a large artery running through there. Sounds like my friend got super lucky on a piss poor shot!!

I don't know that I would call it a piss-poor shot. It is an effective shot and the femoral artery is a major and prominant artery. Super easy to hit...no, but not impossible by any means either.

Last edited:
I don't know that I would call it a piss-poor shot. It is an effective shot and the femoral artery is a major and prominant artery. Super easy to hit...no, but not impossible by any means either.

Piss poor shot in regards to that he was probably aiming 2 and a half feet to right (the vitals).

hear should have been heart. Montana should have been Texas. :D

I've made that shot on a deer. Sitting on the ground my lower limb hit my pant leg and deflected the bow. A slam dunk 20 yard shot turned bad. I saw that the arrow hit in the pocket just above the hind leg and below the spine. I thought oh crap but could see the deer was bleeding out fast. The 2X2 ran 100 yards in the direction of the truck and passed on a trail out. The "he" turned out to be a Doebro. A heshe or hermaphrodite. It had all the parts of both. A shot gone bad and I'd rather not do that again but deadly just the same. If you cut your femoral in the groin area you have less than thirty seconds to live. If a buddy puts his heal on the wound sight he might be able to apply enough pressure to save you IF you are in the hospital parking lot.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Openseason44
Back