Bozeman june 15, fishing?????

300stw

i have to be in bozeman week of june 15th, couple boys to go to football camp all day every day,
wife and i looking for some places to fish that week, gonna try to teach her to cast a fly,,,,

wonder if i should pack a gun for a black bear,,,,

thoughts anyone

300, I am still trying to teach my wife to beat holes in the water after our trip to the Lochsa two years ago here in Idaho. She loves it, but I am more worried about here getting excited and stepping into a hole. Any chance somebody up there could turn you onto some flat water first? As far as *packing*? I never leave home without it.... Blackies, I have never been too worried as we grew up around them. But, that is just me. Go out and have some fun.

There are a lot of areas to fish. The east gallatin is often overlooked but a great stream to fish. As for bears, most areas close May 31 or June 15th. I would check the regs for the areas your thinking about hunting.

Your options will probably be limited due to the high runoff we'll likely get this year. I'd guess most rivers will be blown including tailwaters like the lower Madison. It's a bit of drive, but the Firehole, Gibbon, and Madison inside YNP are usually fishing well that time of year. Expect company though. Some decent highish country lakes in the mountains around town. Hyalite Reservoir, which is just south of town, might be worth a look. Decent Yellowstone cutthroat with a few brookies and grayling mixed in. You could always head down to Canyon Ferry and catch carp...

I know where i would go, not a million miles away outside Livingston is http://www.depuyspringcreek.com/ and they have slots open, guaranteed to be fishing well!
There is even a pond to teach your wife fly casting.
But it will cost some $
Cheers
Richard
Actually not a bad idea if you want to pony up some cash, but the fish might not be that easy. Hyalite reservoir is probably the best option close by. Sink tip helps sometimes. The area is very scenic and you can hike and look at the waterfalls if the fishing isn't on.

Snowpack is something like 140% of normal. Last time that happened the Gallatin wasn't fishable until July 22nd.

thanks, think we will look around hyalite for some fishin and hikin,,,,,

mdunc8, thanks for the update on the lake opener. That is very good news to me. A pleasant change of plans.

Back