Caribou Gear Tarp

Best subcompact tractor

Warranty, specs, and price are all better on the Yanmar vs the Kubota but the dealership is pretty shitty compared to the Kubota one...

A 25hp tractor with a loader and other gadgets is pretty much a toy. Not big enough to get much work done, just fun to play around on.
I've owned Deutz Allis, New Holland and Deere brand units 28-85hp. If you want to get any kind of work done, bigger is better, I wouldn't go any less than 55 hp, you definitely want hydraulic shuttle transmission also.

Regarding brand, go with whatever dealer is nearby and has a good reputation. Kubota, Deere and New Holland all make good equipment.

If you can talk to some customers from the different dealers. See how they've been treated AFTER buying.
They all talk well as salesmen. I have a 31 hp Branson. The tractor been good but the dealer service has been nothing like was represented at the time of purchase.

Definitely this^

When I was shopping last week I actually bumped into one of shop/service guys before I even went into the office, he absolutely geeked out on their machines. We did a test drive, played with implements, showed me all available options and recommended a few that were easiest to install at their dealership. I'd give him the sales commission if I could!

You might check out LS. Bit of a step up from the Yanmars and Bransons. When my Kubota died I got a screaming deal on an LS with a cab for quite a bit less than I would have paid for a Kubota open station model.

I think by now they have all gotten the tier 4 diesels sorted out but I know several manufacturers struggled with it and the regen cycles when they were first coming out.

I got a 2011 model used which was still the Tier 3 that didn't have the regen cycles.

Dealer location is a big deal. I’ve spent a lifetime operation and working on tractors. If I had to work on one, it’d be green. Not getting into a pissing match on which is best. Everyone’s got their own opinions and reasons, but as far as maintenance goes, I’ll take a deer hands down any day

Since I work at a dealership, I'll throw in my two cents. We handle both the New Holland (Ford) line and also Massey Ferguson. In that 25hp range you're looking at we would go with the Massey Ferguson GC series all day long. Depending on where the nearest service center is to you would be one of my main factors though. Service calls in the field costs can really add up. My advice would be to find a dealer near you that you can trust and depend on.

Under 25 hp is a disservice to the tractor as a lawn mower had 25hp. Get as much HP as you can afford. No one ever said dam I wish i didn’t have all this extra power.
I tend to agree but biggest isn't always best. When we moved on to our property a few years ago I bought the biggest tractor I could get a Kubota. At times I've regretted that decision so much so I eventually bought a much smaller around 25hp LS tractor. After buying the kubota I was pretty tapped out so got the cheaper LS been fairly impressed with it. Perfect for mowing the yard and small enough to use it in the shop. My dad just got a yanmar last summer so far I'm not impressed compared to my kubota except for the climate controlled cab.20211222_092803.jpg20201124_162432.jpg

I have had great luck with used John Deere tractors. I purchased a used TLB 2320 with only 50 hours on it. Sold with 650 hours and picked up a 2014 TLB 2032r with 128 hours and currently have about 370. Fun to look for these items. Good luck.

Good point, will you need to mow with this tractor or will you have a separate lawn mower?
I have a separate little push mower I use for the yard since it's pretty small.

I only have a few acres so I don't see a need for anything much bigger than 25 hp. I'm currently getting by with an 18hp (possibly only 15ph; i've heard conflicting reports on it's actual rating), and the only time I've ever lacked for power is using the brush hog on +4' of grass at the end of the summer. If mine had a front loader I don't think I'd ever upgrade.

For everyone saying deere, why not say yanmar since they are who actually makes the sub-compact tractor motors (per Al Gore's interweb)? Is it all the other stuff (hydraulics/electrical/etc)?

Warranty, specs, and price are all better on the Yanmar vs the Kubota but the dealership is pretty shitty compared to the Kubota one...

I bought a new Reefer trailer. Jim Hawk and Crossroads Trailer are the two it came down to.

I looked at both of them. "I'm not buying the trailer. You are giving me the trailer. I am paying you $30,000 for the customer service and repairs after I leave here today."

Crossroads got that statement. I have since bought 13 brand new semi trailers from them since 2012. I have yet to go back to Jim Hawk.

Find a dealer that gets that statement.

A buddy was looking in the same realm as you this year and got a deere for $4k cheaper than the comparable kubota. Is that what others are seeing?

Yes Yanmar manufactures the tractor, however, it is designed and engineered by Deere. While the manufacturer is a good point you bring up, one of the real benefit IMO is the dealer network. I have had very few issues or parts needed, but when I do they are typically in stock. In addition, one of my repairs required me to chat with a technician. I would consider this as well.

I just left a job of 6 1/2 years at a dairy farm as an ag mechanic. Granted I'm a welder not a diesel mechanic but my job was to fix the minor repairs and do services and if it was a big repair I couldn't handle I called the dealer to come out. Between the dairy and heifer ranch we ran, John Deere, case, Massey, Kubota and New Holland. I will say stay away from emissions equipped tractors if you can (def and dpf equipped). The older simpler tractors were always the most reliable and easiest to work on when needing repairs. The newer the tractor the more issues they had and it was always sensor, electrical or emissions related. Most of the smaller tractors and even some of the medium to large are built in Mexico, India etc including the big American companies so buying American in this case doesn't ensure "American quality".

For the money I'd go with Kubota personally. They are the best bang for your buck for performance/reliability. I'd also get a shuttle shift type transmission over the hydrostatic. It's much easier to put the power where you need it when you can hold it in the ideal gear. Just my two cents, good luck!

Last edited:
A neighbor researches every purchase to the enth degree. He bought Kioti. Tractor stands for traction, Kioti is heavier than the others and a real frame. He has a 26 hp. (I believe bigger motors get into emissions stuff) and can move 15 ft., fat logs onto his saw easily with the log attach in front. He loves it

I grew up on a Christmas tree farm. We used nothing but Kubota's. They were just far more reliable for us. Had the bigger ones for digging trees in the spring/summertime, and used the smaller one for snow plowing and dragging the trailers full of trees out of the fields. They go thru everything and freakin bullet proof. They also hold their value. My dad sold his big one when he retired but still has the smaller 40hp rig for everything else. He bought that tractor in the 80s I believe and it still works fantastic. Its actually my tractor now but I dont need it here in montana so it is still in michigan in the barn.

Or get yourself a CAT skid steer. If you get that stuck while plowing snow, idk what to tell ya

Or get yourself a CAT skid steer. If you get that stuck while plowing snow, idk what to tell ya
I already spend an ungodly amount of time in the summer mowing, the last thing I need to do is slow it to a crawl with a skid steer!

• Haha
Reactions: KB_
I grew up working on my neighbor's dairy farm. Through high school I ran all the field equipment. Ford, JD, and Allis Chalmers tractors. Equipment used was all the usual stuff : balers, plows, mowers, disc harrows, seeders, chit spreaders, etc. Then off to a LE career. After retirement I bought a 1742 Massey Fergusion (42 +/- HP). It is a larger frame than a sub compact. For me and what I use the tractor for, I feel the sub compacts are dangerous. It's too easy to ask them to do something they are really too small for. While I bought mine in a private sale, the local dealer figured into my decision as they are top notch. Nothing wrong with orange, green or blue tractors.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back