Best subcompact tractor

I have both JD and Kubota large tractors on the farm. My construction equipment has been primarily Kubota. Both are top notch. Had a Mahindra on the farm. It seemed tough enough. I hated the hydraulics slow and sticky. I have a small Kubota we use for mowing it seems ok so far. Not fond of the Re gen system. Parts seem to be sky high for either. I would say a good dealer /service Dept would trump brand for my 2 cents.

Go!
I need a front bucket, pto, 4x4. It'll be used to pull a brush hog in the summer, grade the driveway, and snowblow in the winter. I already have the attachments.

Mine may have just died.

... prefect timing, snow in the forecast everyday.

I'm buying a Kioti, not sure if they have a dealer near you though. Been doing lots of homework on this and gave it a test drive a couple days ago, was very impressed. Specs are better than the comparable Kubota and Deere units and it's not as expensive. Also has a mid-mount PTO so you can run your snowblower on the front if you choose.

Last edited:
Use to own a little 3 cylinder Kabota. It was a beast. The X got it. I miss that tractor.

So I'm not looking for a Ford. I want something that will last... the equivalent of a Toyota. Extra points for long warranty.

Also ~25hp

And we have also about every dealer in the valley since we're the biggest city in our part of the state.

I currently have a Yanmar and I think it's death is much more my failings than its?

What about mahindra?
Nothing wrong with a mahindra

Them and yanmar make most of the subcompacts you’re looking at.

To me, it would come down to whichever dealer around me will give me the best relationship.

And that’s sitting down at the dealer and having a cup of coffee with the service and parts guys. Which ones give you their attention.

Last edited:
Maybe 25hp or under tractors are exceptions, I'm not sure, but I went with Mahindra basically because I didn't want to deal with any Regen process. When I was shopping a couple years ago I watched videos of how when the Regen light came on the dash of certain tractors it was game over until it finished. No using the tractor until it's done. It could come on in the middle of your project. I also watched videos of guys showing how hot it gets when the Regen process is going they were burning sticks and scorching hot dogs. This was all a few years ago but I think worth looking into or asking about. Tractors may be different now, maybe you can use them while the process is going. But my 38 hp Mahindra has a different process to deal with all that and I don't have to do a thing or stop working. Plus they have a great warranty.

Maybe 25hp or under tractors are exceptions, I'm not sure, but I went with Mahindra basically because I didn't want to deal with any Regen process. When I was shopping a couple years ago I watched videos of how when the Regen light came on the dash of certain tractors it was game over until it finished. No using the tractor until it's done. It could come on in the middle of your project. I also watched videos of guys showing how hot it gets when the Regen process is going they were burning sticks and scorching hot dogs. This was all a few years ago but I think worth looking into or asking about. Tractors may be different now, maybe you can use them while the process is going. But my 38 hp Mahindra has a different process to deal with all that and I don't have to do a thing or stop working. Plus they have a great warranty.
You shouldn't have to worry about the re-gen, unless they have recently changed, I think 74hp is the minimum, at least with the commercial equip.
JD/Kabota

I have a Branson 25hp. It has a front end loader and a backhoe attachment on it. At times the backhoe is a little lacking on power but with a little work it over comes a lot. Have done a ton of front and backhoe work with it this past summer. Use it to back blade snow or move dirt. If looking at the Branson I'd go up in horse power to be able to brush hog with. 25hp might be too light to operate the brush hog correctly. Got the whole setup for 18K about 4 years ago have no idea on the price range now. Love the tractor and wouldn't be without it now.

Buy the largest framed one you can. I had a JD 1023E and I think 2 large men would bring the back wheels off the ground if they stood in the loader. I have a 4052 M now, much more of a tractor than a toy. Don’t be afraid to buy new, used compacts are as inflated as pickups right now, I got more than I paid for the 1023.

We've been using a Kubota L2501 for about 3 years to do similar chores, minus the snowblower. Size is ideal for maneuvering around smaller property and in/out of horse pens. Loader is a bit small, but gets the job done. 25HP is the cutoff on tier 4 emissions, go above that and you are into regenerative dpf systems and computer controls, etc. This one is completely mechanical, which has advantages and disadvantages, but for what we do around here I prefer the simplicity. Implements we use with it for chores: 60" brush hog, 60" gravel grader, 72" blade, 60" disk, 96" chain harrow, 5 row mormon creaser, 3 wheel rake. It runs all of them without issue. Hydrostatic drive is a god send for loader work. A bigger loader (more weight capacity) would be nice, but that requires more tractor weight/frame capacity, and the trade off in maneuverability just is not worth it to me. Skid steer QA loader attachments are awesome.

Kubota. Currently have a New Holland, but it's probably 20 years old. If we were to replace it today, it would be a Kubota. They are definitely king of the subcompact world now!

Fwiw, I have a 36hp Mahindra thats going on 8 years old with front loader and backhoe. No issues other than a hydraulic hose that needed replaced. Its been a good utility machine.

Kubota has some good deals in right now both in terms of packages & financing for the BX series.

We got the BX1880 & I'm already wishing I had the 23 hp one. Good tractor for what we need it for, which is about what you want. Front mounted blower, bucket and we'll get a box blade & mower eventually.

While I’m sure JD is a good tractor, my dad and I have owned nothing but Kubotas for the past 30 years or so. From his lawn mowers all the way up to the 75hp that I used on the cattle farm. Probably 7-9 machines in all. No issues with any of them.

If you can talk to some customers from the different dealers. See how they've been treated AFTER buying.
They all talk well as salesmen. I have a 31 hp Branson. The tractor been good but the dealer service has been nothing like was represented at the time of purchase.

I have both JD and Kubota large tractors on the farm. My construction equipment has been primarily Kubota. Both are top notch. Had a Mahindra on the farm. It seemed tough enough. I hated the hydraulics slow and sticky. I have a small Kubota we use for mowing it seems ok so far. Not fond of the Re gen system. Parts seem to be sky high for either. I would say a good dealer /service Dept would trump brand for my 2 cents.
That's good advice but harder to suss out.

I did a JD 4044m. It has done everything I’ve needed it to and been a good tractor. I didn’t end up going with the Kubota as I didn’t like where the exhaust was on some models and the location of the hydraulics on the other models. With using it in and around the wood lit they were just waiting to get broken.

Under 25 hp is a disservice to the tractor as a lawn mower had 25hp. Get as much HP as you can afford. No one ever said dam I wish i didn’t have all this extra power.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lincoln's Poppi
Back