Best subcompact tractor

Not a subcompact, but I just signed on the dotted line for a JD 5075E and a few attachments. Should have it in a couple of weeks.
Good choice.
I've had a 5085 for several years now and have been very pleased.
Implements used include; 8' disc, 7' rotary tiller, two row planter, 12' bat wing mower, 7' brush hog mower, loader & forks

Hey so what about Reconditioned Japanese tractors? Any thoughts? I almost certain this is what I currently have, though I bought it off a guy up the canyon. The similarities as too noticeable and these guys are only an hr away.

one thing to keep in mind that ive found is there are pluses and minuses to shuttle shift vs gear drive,,my tc-25 new holland is a gear drive,,and i like for my situation,,ive tried a shuttle shift and it takes alot more to power into a bucket of dry hard dirt,,id guess you would need 33-35 hp with a shuttle shift to do the equiv of a 25 hp gear drive tractor,,also steady plowing is more effiecient with a gear drive,,,just my expierience. always 2 ways to look at it and how it fits what you want to do.

I may have missed it in the thread, is yours KIA?

The recon ones sound a lot like "gray market" tractors. Might search on that.
Interesting. Yes mine clearly fits the bill for a reconditioned gray market Yanmar.

However, I really don't see the issue with it from a functionality standpoint.

Also... KIA? Killed in action? It's still running but with problems. It'll probably get me though this winter but the 4x4 drive needs some serious work and it's so grossly undersized I think it's best to heed the words of an old country song, "sell you truck tractor while it's still running..."

Yes, sorry, is yours still functioning or dead? Sounds like it'll get you through.

I agree, I don't think there is a functionality issue with the gray market stuff. Parts can be difficult to source for some of the gray market tractors, but same can be said for ones sold stateside these days. I recall reading that dealers won't touch them for service, but who knows. Just things to look into.

Sealed the deal last month. Stayed as small as I could and still handle all my implements. This one is at least double the HP and hydraulic lift (rear arms) as my old one. Not a lot of choices in town. You could get Massey, Kioti, and Yanmar. Kubota's were on a wait list.
Prices were Massey<Yanmar<Kioti<Kubota
20220528_110103.jpg
I only have a half a dozen hours on it. Pretty enjoyable so far.

One that a lot of people seem to love is the John Deere 1025R. It's compact, versatile, and has a pretty good amount of power for its size. Another option you might want to check out is the Kubota BX series. These Small Tractors are known for being really tough and they have a lot of user-friendly features. Ultimately, the best small tractor for you will depend on what you need it for and what you prefer.

Last edited:
One that a lot of people seem to love is the John Deere 1025R. It's compact, versatile, and has a pretty good amount of power for its size. Another option you might want to check out is the Kubota BX series.
Don't know if they still make them, but the 1070 JD was a great small tractor.

Last edited:
Warranty, specs, and price are all better on the Yanmar vs the Kubota but the dealership is pretty shitty compared to the Kubota one...
holy f#$%balls did I no take this into consideration enough, despite that most of you, or at least several of you pointed to the value of the dealership over the actual product.

The dealership I purchased from has been a complete and total shitshow. Terrible customer service. Like "how do you stay in business" terrible customer service. I was pretty hard to actually find out any real 1st person experience, but I greatly wished I would have ponied up a the extra 4-6 grand and went with a Kubota just because they have great customer service.

Back