Arizona 7 west elk (December)

I have been by the area numerous times on the way to 9 deer hunting. There is a lot of dry area in there. I would try to find water sources-unless it is full of snow by that time. There are some very big elk in that area, though, if you can find them.

Do you have the antler less tag or antlered? If you have the antler less tag you should not have a problem finding elk. There are a lot of bulls in there to, but the big bulls will be hung up tight in cover and draws. You will see a ton of hunters and hear shots, so be prepared and wear orange.

Ditto on what Craig said.

Find some glassing points and glass. The bulls will be tucked away in draws away from pressure. They still need food, water, and shelter though...

Ron

In that late hunt a lot of the elk will have migrated down towards Valle. I've seen elk about 10 to 20 miles east of Valle before the powerline crosses the road. The unit on the south of the highway. There are also a good number of resident elk in that area. Good access and roads if it hasn't received a lot of snow.

This is the lower elevation of the unit and the elk will move towards that lower country in Nov/Dec.

Best advice anyone can give you is dress warm. Other than that, check the north end near the park's east entrance. There are some big bulls hanging out in that area.

Back