Caribou Gear

Archery Muleys

elk_hunter

Guys, I sure would appreciate some advice regarding hunting muleys during archery season. For the past couple decades, I've been solely a rifle hunter...but with some coercion from my brother, I went out and bought a bow and will be joining him in Colorado this year for my first archery hunt. :D

With that said, what adjustments should I make when transitioning from rifle to bow? I have to get a helluva lot closer now; I'm used to spotting and stalking in the Rockies. Is it worthwhile to plant your ass in a quakie patch and see what happens? Or look for beaten trails and camp out? Perhaps there are some other techniques you recommend? Season is in September but the rut is late November into December, according to F&G, so calling is out the window, yes?

Any advice, tips or tricks would be most appreciated. Thanks much!

If your used to spot and stalk hunting then use the same techniques. Only now, when you see a deer at 100-200yds. you don't pull the trigger and end your hunt......That's when you start your hunt.

Number 1 thing to remember is Patience!! Without it you will never be successful. In a place like CO. in the early season you should have plenty of oppurtunity on some deer, just use the methods your use to and modify em' as you learn what works for you. PATIENCE!!

Finally! A reply! :D I will definitely keep patience in mind. I wonder how well it will go trying to sneak under 40/50yds on an animal. :D I imagine that will be tougher than hell.

But, it doesn't sound like I have to deviate much from my hunting practices; it's a carry-over from what I'm doing already.

You can check out a blog site like bowsite.com, probably would be much more helpful. Mostly just truck and atv hunters around here. :D

I think sitting on a trail waiting for a mule deer to walk by would be extreamly borning. Its bad enough waiting for a semi patterned whitetail.

Spot and stalk is how I'd go about it. Get the wind in your favor and move slowly, you'll be surprised how easy it is to sneak in on critters.

Good luck.

Best advice I could give is let your eyes do the walking. I generally sit up my big binos, tripod, and sit for hours spotting groups of bucks (early season they're usually in bachelor herds) from an elevated position. I watch them until they bed, wait for the thermals to shift from the heat of the day, and stalk in on them (in socks) while they're taking an afternoon siesta. You can get VERY close to them if you can acquire the patience to do so. When it all comes together, you can count their eye lashes before you cast an arrow. :D It's what I live for!

Best advice I could give is let your eyes do the walking. I generally sit up my big binos, tripod, and sit for hours spotting groups of bucks (early season they're usually in bachelor herds) from an elevated position. I watch them until they bed, wait for the thermals to shift from the heat of the day, and stalk in on them (in socks) while they're taking an afternoon siesta. You can get VERY close to them if you can acquire the patience to do so. When it all comes together, you can count their eye lashes before you cast an arrow. :D It's what I live for!

Any more words of advice you would like to throw out there I would gladly read them! I enjoy seeing those big bucks you seem to shoot year after year.

Elk Hunter,

I see you're from Reno. The archery club out at Lemmon Valley has 3D target shoots every Wednesday night starting in May. Get out there and practice practice.

I would recommend to first shoot a Antelope form a blind, or a WT from a tree stand. Bowhunting is a whole different kind of rush of adrenaline. Not saying can't be done just Mulies are usually longer shots.
3D archery shoots are very good, it's about as close as it gets to the real thing.
Practice, practice and then practice some more, shoot long it makes close shots slam dunk. It's only fair to the animal that you be prepared, the shot needs to be automatic when the time comes. Also PICK A SPOT.

I watch them until they bed, wait for the thermals to shift from the heat of the day, and stalk in on them (in socks) while they're taking an afternoon siesta. You can get VERY close to them if you can acquire the patience to do so. When it all comes together, you can count their eye lashes before you cast an arrow.
BOHNTR, I'm sure it varies, but what is the average amount of time it takes you to stalk a muley buck? What's the longest you've ever taken? And how many blown stalks do you typically have before success, if any?

If there's snow on the ground a spot and stalk scenario will be tough unless the temps are warm enough to soften the snow. A bind on a deep trail could be productive and not all that boring. Mule deer will be predictable this time of year.

Roy, you make it sound so simple. Your stories, pics, etc. are damn inspiring. :cool:

BOHNTR, I'm sure it varies, but what is the average amount of time it takes you to stalk a muley buck? What's the longest you've ever taken? And how many blown stalks do you typically have before success, if any?

This last season in the CO high-country, I spent about 3 hours stalking a MONSTER typical. I ended up 23 yards away........waiting for him to stand. A slight shift in the thermals ended that stalk quickly for me and left me sitting there to cry! :D The "average" is probably 2 hours......my longest was in the AZ desert which lasted about 8 hours. That one ended in success.....good thing, as I had A LOT of time and cactus injuries invested.

For me, somewhere about 40-50% of my stalks in open/alpine terrain are successful. Now I consider a shot (miss or connect) a successful stalk. Interestingly, Mother Nature doesn't beat me as often as unforeseen animals during my stalk. Sometimes too many deer can be a bad thing, IMO.

If there's snow on the ground a spot and stalk scenario will be tough unless the temps are warm enough to soften the snow. A bind on a deep trail could be productive and not all that boring. Mule deer will be predictable this time of year.

I agree, snow can be tough to stalk in. I've tried it before and was not too successful.....unless it was fresh powder. However, most archery hunts are in the early fall (Aug/Sep).....with the exception of Utah (Wasatch), Idaho late season archery, and Northern NM. Snow is generally not an issue with the January rut hunts in AZ & southern NM. I have been successful in snow hunts setting up blinds in areas where they are rutting.......I'm just not a sit and wait type of guy.....but I'll do what I need to to improve my odds. Hope it helps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sbaker
Back