Caribou Gear Tarp

AR building for a novice.

I just started my first build this afternoon. Tons of videos on youtube, it's really not that hard. Biggest "issue" I had was trying to determine which parts went where. The kit I bought...all the parts just came loose in a bag with no labels. Pretty easy to figure out from watching videos though.

Friend of mine just got and M 17 and loves it. Came with 3 magazines. His dad and I have been fishing buddies for decades but he was died in the wool 1911 while I was Sig lover. Shot his son's M 17 and grudgingly agreed the trigger was "pretty good". :)

Not to hijack this anymore than I have but I think I'm going to build one for each of my 3 boys you never know they might not be able to get them when they're older. What kind of quality am I looking at if I can spend $600 on each one give or take a litte? Ive got a rock river that I love but they have came up in price significantly and three of those is out of my budget.

Not to hijack this anymore than I have but I think I'm going to build one for each of my 3 boys you never know they might not be able to get them when they're older. What kind of quality am I looking at if I can spend $600 on each one give or take a litte? Ive got a rock river that I love but they have came up in price significantly and three of those is out of my budget.
As far as complete rifles, the Ruger AR-556 and Springfield Saint will run you $700-$800 and they are both solid rifles.

Parts are hard to come buy and prices are a little inflated, but the last two builds I did were a little under $560 each. If availability comes up for black friday you might be able to get some parts for a reasonable price.

Yep. You can get the Ruger with a free float handguard for $750.
Certain store? A quick gun broker search I comeup witharound $900 for the ruger? I've found some rock river flowers with 2stage trigger for $300. I'm thinking about going that route and setting them aside and letting the boys spec each one out from there maybe? Thoughts?

Certain store? A quick gun broker search I comeup witharound $900 for the ruger? I've found some rock river flowers with 2stage trigger for $300. I'm thinking about going that route and setting them aside and letting the boys spec each one out from there maybe? Thoughts?
There’s a few similar models of the Ruger with slight differences, that was sportsman’s warehouse. I think that would be an excellent idea.

Parts are hard to come buy and prices are a little inflated, but the last two builds I did were a little under $560 each. If availability comes up for black friday you might be able to get some parts for a reasonable price.
My last 2 builds were double that, but I spent almost as much on my barrel as you did your whole rifle..

I got some really good Black Friday deals on those, and a stupid cheap deal for a couple closeout Ballistic Advantage barrels (69 ea if memory serves).

I have built several and am really happy with PSA premium parts. The premium uppers have barrels made by FN and have been shooters for me. The only thing I replaced is the triggers with Wilson Combat units.

As stated above, PSA has some cheap build parts (if they are in stock) Also BCM has very quality stuff but its a little more pricey. You can build one for $400 or spend close to $4000. The lower receiver is the only part you will need to purchase through an FFL. Everything else can be simply shipped to your house. The barrel, bolt carrier group, and lower receiver are probably the most important pieces.

I think the 80% lower is a non-FFL option, too.

Not sure where you got that information, you don't need any licenses, stamps, or serial numbers as long as you are completing the lower for personal use (outside of CA and NJ, I believe). If you were to build an SBR, AOW, etc. with it you would need a stamp.

A little late here, but if you need any advice or information, Dale, hit me up. A friend and I held a type 7 FFL for a few years and built AR platforms for people. It's not as daunting as it may seem, really. Here's mine, pretty basic, but very light.

ATI Omni hybrid polymere lower, Palmetto state parts kit, and a 5.56 Adam's piston upper with magpul furniture.

20200823_110749.jpg

Of course once you complete it you need NFA tax stamp - no point in being a felon just to avoid FFL process . . .

Ok, I don't want to start a debate here....but if that is really the case then there a whole bunch of folks I know that are in shit-hot water.

M&P Sport 2 is hard to beat at its price point.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CZ452Scout
Back