Caribou Gear Tarp

Deer Hunting: Is the .350 Legend bound to be the "thirty aught six" for the straight-wall-cartridge eastern states?

I don't know. Winchester might have otherwise better called it the .350 Cornfielder, or, even the .350 Flyover. This round was conceived to deal with straight-wall regs. My suggested namesakes might have been insulting to heartland American states with these straight-wall rules, however. Toto, we are not in Kansas anymore.
And it actually failed at dealing with the regs. .35 bullet or larger required in ohio and it is actually under that. I asked game warden and said it was fine but didn't realize the bullet wasn't actually less than .35 inches and he said they worked with Winchester in developing the round for some really weird rifle laws. I own one cause only way to use a rifle here.

And it actually failed at dealing with the regs. .35 bullet or larger required in ohio and it is actually under that. I asked game warden and said it was fine but didn't realize the bullet wasn't actually less than .35 inches and he said they worked with Winchester in developing the round for some really weird rifle laws. I own one cause only way to use a rifle here.
One source claims the .350 Legend bullet is .357 diameter:

This younger man has a creepy look of death in his wide serious eyes. The black facial hair enhances the spine-chill factor. This man could easily pass for an Army drill sergeant or a Marine DI with a shaving profile. This looks like a man not to make enemies of.

Last edited:
Reactions: JDH
i don’t know who gets to choose what rounds make it past the R&D dept to the production line. That 360 buckhammer is barely outperforming the 350 legend. With all the rifle and ammo manufacturers already making the 350, I don’t expect the 360 will catch on all that well.

Still, thinking I’ll just use one of my shotguns next time I visit the family in Ohio for the holidays rather than buy an entire new setup in any of these calibers.

If someone was genuinely interested in actually hunting Iowa with a firearm (and not just bitching on the internet) it seems like the logical thing to do would be to either purchase a muzzleloader or a dedicated slug gun.

That opens up both the muzzleloader and shotgun seasons. Even if you elect to purchase a center fire that meets their criteria you’re limited to shotgun season and the antlerless hunts.FA067ABD-9DCA-436E-A555-19814BC0E684.jpeg

If someone was genuinely interested in actually hunting Iowa with a firearm (and not just bitching on the internet) it seems like the logical thing to do would be to either purchase a muzzleloader or a dedicated slug gun.

That opens up both the muzzleloader and shotgun seasons. Even if you elect to purchase a center fire that meets their criteria you’re limited to shotgun season and the antlerless hunts.View attachment 269998

A dedicated slug gun can only be hunted past the first of December since it can only be used in the 2 shotgun seasons and the special January antlerless. A Savage 220 gunner will still be out in the nasty cold, weatherwise. How hard are modern muzzle-loaders to keep clean? What if a follow-up shot is needed?
Muzzle-loaders seem like messy complicated things to deal with. I doubt if I have patience for this sort of game.

This whole anti-modern-deer-gun movement is to deter hunting altogether. When things get complicated and messy, it puts many guys off and they give up. Why in the devil should archers and muzzle-loaders have longer seasons with more favorable weather? Is it fair? The modern gunners, muzzle-loaders and archers should have at least the same number of days in warmer weather as they do in colder weather. Also, gun hunters should have equal opportunity for does during more favorable weather.

Last edited:
A dedicated slug gun can only be hunted past the first of December since it can only be used in the 2 shotgun seasons and the special January antlerless. A Savage 220 gunner will still be out in the nasty cold, weatherwise. How hard are modern muzzle-loaders to keep clean? What if a follow-up shot is needed?
Muzzle-loaders seem like messy complicated things to deal with. I doubt if I have patience for this sort of game.

This whole anti-modern-deer-gun movement is to deter hunting altogether. When things get complicated and messy, it puts many guys off and they give up. Why in the devil should archers and muzzle-loaders have longer seasons with more favorable weather? Is it fair? The modern gunners, muzzle-loaders and archers should have at least the same number of days in warmer weather as they do in colder weather. Also, gun hunters should have equal opportunity for does during more favorable weather.

Some of my best hunts have been in crappy weather. If you hunt public much then going when other people don’t want to be out can be a great advantage.

Muzzleloaders have never been easier to keep clean. The removable breech plugs make that super simple. Obviously reloading will always be a few extra steps but that’s part of the challenge

It seems like you’re more interested in making excuses to not do something than just going hunting

Some of my best hunts have been in crappy weather. If you hunt public much then going when other people don’t want to be out can be a great advantage.

Muzzleloaders have never been easier to keep clean. The removable breech plugs make that super simple. Obviously reloading will always be a few extra steps but that’s part of the challenge

It seems like you’re more interested in making excuses to not do something than just going hunting
I'm serious about going hunting with "something" someday but I don't know with what just yet. What I need to do now is just wait until I get settled into whatever future state I move to and then see what my real options for a deer-killing device are then and there. Whenever hunters move from one state or jurisdition to another, it throws a big monkey wrench into their GAME plan, pun intended. The guns/ammo/outdoors sports industries must love this. They profit off all the extra equipment that must be sold to hunters to make them legal wherever, whenever, however and whatever they are hunting.

Savage Arms, archery companies and muzzle-loader companies would not get rich on Model 220's, archery equipment and muzzle-loading equipment respectively if each and every state were a traditional rifle state and traditional-CF-cartridge rifles were allowed all deer seasons long in most if not all units. LGS's profit on NICS background check requirements for FFL transfers. Small businesses profit in states where vehicle emissions tests are mandatory. Motorcycle helmet makers like Nolan just love LID LAWS.

Hunting gear companies take more money out of your pocket and time out of your livelihood thanks to a myriad of game/gun regulations over the fruited plain. Is blaze orange required where you hunt? Guess who makes a killing on orange army gear sales? You hunt ducks and geese? I ought to be in the non-tox shell business.

It's all about fees, profits, draconian bureaucratic control and taxing old-fashioned American fun. There is a sharp-pencil gubmint geek hiding behind each and every tree and bush.

Last edited:
Iowa is not, nor has ever been considered an eastern state.
By the way, neither are Indiana nor Ohio.
If you were to draw a line down the middle of the country, what half would those states be on? What time zone are Indiana and Ohio in? Eastern? ;):ROFLMAO:

That's the real bee-yotch of it all. But I'm even more concerned with getting venison into the freezer should I end up living in a straight-wall state. Iowa will accept the .35 Whelen to satisfy it's .35-minimum-diameter-bullet deer caliber requirement. Remington made some pump rifles in nice checkered wooden stocks back in the day. Some were offered in .35 Whelen. I don't know how bad .35 Whelen kicks though. How many miles does a .35 Whelen bullet even carry?

No classic bolt-action, except an elephant gun, will satisfy the .35-minimum requirement for Iowa. Certainly, no Savage 99 will meet this requirement. I don't need a .375 Holland & Holland for a cornfield doe. There would be nothing left to put in the freezer.
If you can use a 35 Whalen or a 375 H&H there is no reason a person shouldn’t be able to use a regular deer caliber. Insanity in legislating.

Back