AR building for a novice.

View attachment 150604

I started with this. It doesn't cover all of the aftermarket toys you can add but it covers how to assemble the upper and lower receivers quite well. I kept my first build super simple. The next ones will be more involved.
It doesn’t matter what you put on it. The important part is the barrel and lower receiver assembly. Those all go together the exact same way.

So far, barrel and trigger. mtmuley

I love the Chip McCormick (CMC) drop in triggers, for a first build, a drop in makes it easy. https://www.cmctriggers.com/cmc-ar-15-ar-10-single-stage-drop-in-trigger-340./

The mil-spec trigger isn't that hard to install, but if you've become accustomed to Timney, Triggertech, Jewell, etc, then you will feel at home with a drop in, and its much easier to install.

You'll need a vise block to build an upper, the Magpul is a great option. https://www.primaryarms.com/magpul-ar15-bev-block, and I'd probably also get their armorer's wrench: https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-...-15-m16-armorer-s-wrench-prod72950.aspx?dym=y

Ballistic Advantage makes many of the barrels on the market, and they seem to be keeping some in stock: https://www.ballisticadvantage.com/ar15-barrels

Right now, all this stuff will likely be tough to find. I've had just about every type of lower imaginable, and billet is nice, but standard receivers work just fine too. Get what is available, same story with upper receivers.

Come on down to see what happened to Dayton, and I'll help you build your rifle, I have all the tools, spare parts, and experience. If you want a short cut, I have a new AR I built, put on consignment at my local shop (you'll remember Mound House, that's where they are), and the buyer can't seem to pass the background check. I could pull it out and have them send it to your FFL. Its got a Wylde barrel, free float, really nice bolt carrier group, good stuff all around. Feel free to ask any questions that arise.

I’ve built several ar’s using Anderson lowers they are cheap but function as they should we have put thousands of rounds Thru them and never had an issue with them I built a few in 7.62 x 39 and used all budget parts and run cheap steal case ammo thru them and never had any issues

I’m in Missoula. I build my own national match rifles for competition. Let me know if you have questions or need help putting it together. Pretty quick and easy. I also may have some extra parts laying around, depending what you’re looking for.

Just a few suggestions on your first built; stay with a combat trigger, it is good to understand the basics of installing and function, there are some great combat trigger upgrades without breaking the bank on single stage triggers. Look at the ALG ACT trigger, exceptional basic and crisp combat style trigger that can also be adjusted for weight with JP enterprises yellow springs for under $10. I would also suggest a nickel boron coated or similar BCG, they are much, much, easier to clean and you will be able to see where carbon builds up on the BCG if you are not already familiar with where to focus the cleaning attention. Most important is to have fun with the project and make it a learning exercise for you and your son to work through together. My 2-cents on parts or lowers are to go quality rather than the cheapest AR build kits available. Lots of people push the how cheap can I build an AR envelope, I have been very happy with Aero Precision builds, not dirt cheap but not expensive by any means, just good quality and tight tolerances.

Thanks a lot guys. Tons of good info. Like I said, I know zero about the AR platform. This really helps. Kid wants to help pay for his next firearm and I'm gonna match him. We will sit down and talk it over. A nice handgun isn't out of the running. Course, he won't want a wheel gun. Thanks again. mtmuley

A nice handgun isn't out of the running.

My absolute favorite Sig Sauer p229 - not for everybody, but my favorite by a lot. (or a sig p220 if he wants in 10mm for hunting or sig p365 if he wants the best small conceal-carry 9mm)

Selfish of me and out of the price range, but the new Python is cool. I think with a handgun something decent in 9mm would be good. Economical to shoot and lots of options out there. mtmuley

Selfish of me and out of the price range, but the new Python is cool. I think with a handgun something decent in 9mm would be good. Economical to shoot and lots of options out there. mtmuley
A 9mm is a great option, and for self defense use a 9mm is just as effective as a .40 or .45 with today’s bullet choices. A Glock 45 (or 19X if he wants tacticool tan) would be hard to beat on the semi auto side.

Really!? Everybody's different I guess I bought my first DA/SA this spring and love it. All personal preference as long as it goes bang everytime I suppose.
Personal preference is right. I just really prefer striker fired or single action in a 1911. Sorry for the complete hijack mtmuley.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CZ452Scout
Back