Applying at 11 bonus points Arizona Bull rifle Suggestions? Unit 10

A unit 9 archery tag will go to someone else this year.................I sissy la, la'd out with 16 big ones.

Is there an age limit for building points for kids in Arizona?

Looks like 10 years old to me. Maybe someone else will chime in though.

I need to start getting it figured out for my son, he is 7 now and I think there are a few states that he can start building points in pretty soon.

My daughter is 9 and turns 10 on Oct 20. I want to start getting her Elk Points but in order to get "Just Points" you have to be 10 as of app deadline. However, she can apply for hunts as long as she is 10 by the start of the hunt.

So I wonder if I apply her for a hunt and she is not drawn will she get the point this year?

It boggles my mind how much money people are willing to spend just for a chance at a set of antlers some time before they die. I guess it was never in my makeup to waste money on something like that. It is totally ridiculous and will not change as long as people are stupid enough to keep dumping money into state coffers for it. Not me.

It boggles my mind how much money people are willing to spend just for a chance at a set of antlers some time before they die. I guess it was never in my makeup to waste money on something like that. It is totally ridiculous and will not change as long as people are stupid enough to keep dumping money into state coffers for it. Not me.

Is it worth it? For me it is.

If I only hunted my home state and did not build points then I would save about $2500 a year. Every year or so I draw a nice hunt out of state. Then I spend $1500 to $6000 door to door, not counting the tag fee.

What did I get for my money? Have hunted in deserts, on mountain tops, on prairies. Hiked in miles, rode horses other times, slept in hotels. Hunted in August brutal heat and December brutal cold. Rained on, hailed on, snow on. Killed critters with bows, muzzies and rifle. Pre rut, rut and post-rut. Ate tag soup, too. Shot turkeys, pronghorn, deer, elk and sheep.

The experiences I have gotten in return for the money spent on hunts are among some of my most memorable. I could hunt around home only and do the same hunt each year for 20 years. I would have fun. Just would not have been as memorable to me.

Not saying my way is better or best. My way has made me happy.

Have hunted in deserts, on mountain tops, on prairies. Hiked in miles, rode horses other times, slept in hotels. Hunted in August brutal heat and December brutal cold. Rained on, hailed on, snow on. Killed critters with bows, muzzies and rifle. Pre rut, rut and post-rut. Ate tag soup, too. Shot turkeys, pronghorn, deer, elk and sheep.

. .

Other than hunting elk and riding a horse, I've done all that in 5 states with OTC(or 0 point draw) tags the past 2 seasons.

I'd have to add it up for an exact number, but I think it was about $4,000 total in tags. I'd rather invest my money on actual hunting, not buying chances to go hunting.

More than one way to skin a cat.

I was thinking that exact same thing. If anyone has a place to kill a 350 bull, they are best served to hunt that spot like a rat looking for a Taco Bell dumpster.

Or a Randy looking for the nearest DQ!

All depends what Your hunting for. Lotta guys just like being out, lotta guys like meat only. Lotta guys as they get older like Me only hunt for large antlers as We have killed many dinks when We were young. As you get older its tougher to pack animals out too. Am I gonna pack a 3x3 anything 2miles out? NO. An Arizona Elk hunt is worth the wait if You are young ,I whould start applying now. One of the top hunts in the country for anything. The early rifle rut hunt may just be the best anything tag in the lower 48. Everybodies got their own thing.........BOB!

Big ASSumption there, I'm not wasting money on a set of big antlers, I've been prepaying for the best elk hunt of my life, something I've dreamed about since Bugle magazine had stories in the late 80’s about archery hunting northern Arizona elk!

I'm glad you are not adding to my draw odds!

My daughter is 9 and turns 10 on Oct 20. I want to start getting her Elk Points but in order to get "Just Points" you have to be 10 as of app deadline. However, she can apply for hunts as long as she is 10 by the start of the hunt.

So I wonder if I apply her for a hunt and she is not drawn will she get the point this year?

Thanks for the information.

I would assume if you applied your daughter for the hunt she will still gain a point as she turns 10 before the start of the hunt. So maybe a late rifle season hunt and you will get her over the line.

Big ASSumption there, I'm not wasting money on a set of big antlers, I've been prepaying for the best elk hunt of my life, something I've dreamed about since Bugle magazine had stories in the late 80’s about archery hunting northern Arizona elk!

I'm glad you are not adding to my draw odds!

+1, i cashed in 12 AZ points some years back when that was a lot and the experience was worth way more than what it cost. An amazing hunt. Just depends if you find outrageous close encounters with a ton of mature bulls thrilling or 'ho hum'. It ain't the horns but the hunt.

I was thinking that exact same thing. If anyone has a place to kill a 350 bull, they are best served to hunt that spot like a rat looking for a Taco Bell dumpster.

Clearly the OP is a magician to pull off that feat in Colo. :D

Beating impossible draw odds should be a piece of cake.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back