Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Apparently 4 coats of clear is not enough

nhenry

Well, disaster struck while at the range two days ago. The paint job I put on my stock failed after a few months and I had a big black mark on my face after shooting. The paint smeared for some reason. Luckily for me, I still had enough time to redo it well enough to hunt tomorrow. I went and bought better paint from TrueValue and went to work on a simple paint job. Anyone know why it smeared? IMG-3836.jpgIMG-3837.jpg

It more than likely smeared due to the stock not being clean/free of oils. Did you sand the stock prior to painting? Degrease it before painting? Prep work is the key.
I sanded it and degreased everything. It worked very well for a few months and I've even had it in 90 degree, sunny weather.

Usually when paint fails its either a prep issue or non compatibility, i.e. mixing lacquer and enamel.
There can be issues too with not letting coats properly flash off, the solvent doesn't have anywhere to go.
It could be the flash-off issue. I didn't rush it, but I also didn't wait hours in between coats. Perhaps I jumped the gun a little.

I assume it’s a fiberglass stock. It sounds like the prep work was good. Did you primer it? It may also be like p ham stated and a flash off issue especially if you were spraying multiple colors or coats in a day.

I assume it’s a fiberglass stock. It sounds like the prep work was good. Did you primer it? It may also be like p ham stated and a flash off issue especially if you were spraying multiple colors or coats in a day.
It's carbon fiber. I put a primer coat on before anything, which is what the black is. Perhaps I didn't let the primer cure properly. It was a sponge dip painted stock and I was sure I'd allowed everything else to dry properly

The solid olive looks good with the stainless...and now your left cheek won't look like your wife smacked ya.
I thought it looked good too. I might just redo it completely with olive and make sure to be careful with the prep and procedure. Thanks!

You know another thing that comes to mind is if you got some cleaning solvents on that spot. That would explain why it rubbed off on your face.
That was my thought. I was cleaning guns a few weeks ago. Some of the solvent dripped onto a painted table. I didn’t see it until the following day, you would have thought I dripped paint stripper on it. Finish just pealed away. Strong stuff

You know another thing that comes to mind is if you got some cleaning solvents on that spot. That would explain why it rubbed off on your face.
I'd say that's a good idea until I remember I've never actually cleaned that gun yet. It's shot well thus far so I haven't seen a need to

Adhesion promoter is your friend with plastic & composites.
You can get it at any auto parts store that sells paint.

When they came out with the plastic bumper covers on cars, they gave auto body shops fits!
The adhesion promoter was the answer.

It's also amazing the power oil & sweat from our bodies have on stuff like that.
Should be it's own class of solvents.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dtownsend
Back